Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Idle Dwarves. . . massive numbers of them

(1/6) > >>

Sparrowhawk:
Hi all,

Quick question. A common theme of my fortresses is that as they grow in population roughly 1/4 to 1/5 of the population is idle at any one time. Normally I would blame my own organisational skills (dabbling at best) but I was curious if this is a common issue. A lot of them are the more 'niche' workers like soap makers, cheese makers, milkers and so on, and essentially they serve as a useful labour corps but I wonder if this is the norm?

Boingboingsplat:
They just don't have anything to do at that moment in time. It's not really a problem, your fortress can get along fine even if only 12 dwarves are doing any real work.

AncientEnemy:
yeah, that's normal. actually if only 1/5th of your fort is idle at any given time you're probably running a pretty efficient fort. it's good to have some idlers available anyway, so if for some reason a ton of hauling labor becomes necessary all at once (such as butchering a big critter) you have dwarves available to do it.

Slappy Moose:

--- Quote from: Boingboingsplat on April 17, 2010, 02:27:54 am ---They just don't have anything to do at that moment in time. It's not really a problem, your fortress can get along fine even if only 12 dwarves are doing any real work.

--- End quote ---

WRONG.

At least 95% must be working at all times, the other ten dwarves can be sleeping, eating, drinking, or dead.

AncientEnemy:

--- Quote from: Slappy Moose on April 17, 2010, 03:05:33 am ---
--- Quote from: Boingboingsplat on April 17, 2010, 02:27:54 am ---They just don't have anything to do at that moment in time. It's not really a problem, your fortress can get along fine even if only 12 dwarves are doing any real work.

--- End quote ---

WRONG.

At least 95% must be working at all times, the other ten dwarves can be sleeping, eating, drinking, or dead.

--- End quote ---

*does math*

oh god, the logistics of getting 190 dwarves all working at the same time....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version