Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: raw tile selector 1.03 & raw tile merger 0.3  (Read 53235 times)

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.46 & raw tile merger
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 07:42:31 pm »

You could rename it to creature_subterranean.txt and then edit it just fine.

INGENIOUS

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.46 & raw tile merger
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 08:01:11 am »

I just wanted to extend my huge thanks for this new merger tool. It will allow me to make a easy to DIY DFG for all thems peoples.

Thanks, it's nice that the programs are appreciated. It feels good giving something back to the modding community after using so many things created here.

The new (and maybe final) versions of both programs are up. Tell me about any problems or anything thats still missing.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: raw tile selector 0.47 & raw tile merger 0.2
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:42 am »

The new (and maybe final) versions of both programs are up. Tell me about any problems or anything thats still missing.

One thing that might be useful for the merger is making it default to a relative path of "\raw\objects\" for the modified raws folder. This will let me avoid some user-caused problems :P

Oh, and also NOT resizing the tileset back to 16x16... but that's purely cosmetic.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:19:19 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.47 & raw tile merger 0.2
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 01:35:18 pm »

One thing that might be useful for the merger is making it default to a relative path of "\raw\objects\" for the modified raws folder. This will let me avoid some user-caused problems :P

Oh, and also NOT resizing the tileset back to 16x16... but that's purely cosmetic.

I change the folder management a little. When selecting the mod folder while the original folder is still unselected, the original folder will point to the same directory as the mod folder.
This should save some clicks, if you have your mod folder somewhere close around the unmodified folder.

The resizing issue for the selector will be probably solved some time later. I started to rewrite the program to take a definition file, so it won't be bound to the currently available tokens and files anymore. I will look into resizing after that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.44
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 11:49:29 am »

(edit) - Also, the ALTTILE tag doesn't seem to be supported yet.

With the new version the ALTTILE is supported now, too. As will a lot more things if you changes the definitions. (And yes, I also try to bump the thread to the first page again by writing this.)

Cubittus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL][FLASHES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 07:57:40 pm »

(edit) - Also, the ALTTILE tag doesn't seem to be supported yet.

With the new version the ALTTILE is supported now, too. As will a lot more things if you changes the definitions. (And yes, I also try to bump the thread to the first page again by writing this.)

Awesome work!  Thanks!   8)
I've just had a play and the tool is just about perfect now.  I like the definitions file feature.

I have a some ideas for new features if you're interested:
  • Include the tile tag name (e.g. TILE, ITEM_SYMBOL, TREE_TILE, DEAD_TREE_TILE, etc) somewhere on the screen.  It's not always obvious which one you are changing when objects have multiple tiles.
  • When objects have secondary tiles without a color tag, display the secondary tile in the same color as the primary tile.  E.g. color the ITEM_SYMBOL tiles for dug out rocks/gems/ore using the DISPLAY_COLOR color.
  • Add a 'default' tile to display for objects that don't have any tile tag.  This would allow the editing of colors in files such as inorganic_metal.txt.  The default for that file might be the tile for metal bars.
  • Add the ability to insert new tile/color tags into objects that don't currently have them.  E.g. Adding SHRUB_TILE/SHRUB_COLOR to plants.
  • Make the window resizeable/scalable - I'd like to edit the tiles at double size.

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 07:48:26 am »

Hey Cubittus,
it's good to hear it is working fine.

So, lets talk about your ideas.
Include the tile tag name (e.g. TILE, ITEM_SYMBOL, TREE_TILE, DEAD_TREE_TILE, etc) somewhere on the screen.  It's not always obvious which one you are changing when objects have multiple tiles.
Absolutely, this has to be added.
When objects have secondary tiles without a color tag, display the secondary tile in the same color as the primary tile.  E.g. color the ITEM_SYMBOL tiles for dug out rocks/gems/ore using the DISPLAY_COLOR color.
This is a little bit problematic. I could change it, so that if there is another tile with color information for an object, those tiles color values are used. But this might not be right in all possible scenarios. Minerals don't use the background colors. I don't know how df handles background colors with creatures ALTTILE. Other situations are possible, like adding a dead tree tile for trees that otherwise have no color information - those would use the dead trees color then, which would probably not happen in df.
Usually we, as humans, can easily see which color information a certain tile would get, so I'd rather leave that job to us instead of programming a solution that might create wrong results.
Also there is a way with the current version to get colors for mineral symbols:

Add a 'default' tile to display for objects that don't have any tile tag.  This would allow the editing of colors in files such as inorganic_metal.txt.  The default for that file might be the tile for metal bars.
Thats a nice idea, as it would also make the program more tolerant to errors in the definitions.

Add the ability to insert new tile/color tags into objects that don't currently have them.  E.g. Adding SHRUB_TILE/SHRUB_COLOR to plants.
Although I see how useful that would be I'm probably not going to add it. The idea for the raw tile selector is that it should be a minimalistic and small program that does just one thing well: changing whats already in the raws.
It is always fun to add new things to a program, but after some time you get feature creeping which I strongly dislike (at least in software made by others).

Make the window resizeable/scalable - I'd like to edit the tiles at double size.
Instead of always using 16x16 as tile size I plan to add an option to use the tile size of your tileset. I might add an option to use fixed values then, too. So you could just enter to have your tileset displayed at 32x32.

Cubittus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL][FLASHES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 09:14:17 am »

Include the tile tag name...
Absolutely, this has to be added.
Great!
Also there is a way with the current version to get colors for mineral symbols:
Just tried that and it works as described. Thanks!
Add the ability to insert new tile/color tags into objects that don't currently have them.  E.g. Adding SHRUB_TILE/SHRUB_COLOR to plants.
Although I see how useful that would be I'm probably not going to add it. The idea for the raw tile selector is that it should be a minimalistic and small program that does just one thing well: changing whats already in the raws.
It is always fun to add new things to a program, but after some time you get feature creeping which I strongly dislike (at least in software made by others).
Perfectly understandable.
Instead of always using 16x16 as tile size I plan to add an option to use the tile size of your tileset. I might add an option to use fixed values then, too. So you could just enter to have your tileset displayed at 32x32.
Look forward to it!
Thanks

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »

Add a 'default' tile to display for objects that don't have any tile tag.  This would allow the editing of colors in files such as inorganic_metal.txt.  The default for that file might be the tile for metal bars.

This is now possible, with quite a few more changes in the new version. Add this to the definitions to edit the colors of metals:

[TYPE:METAL]
[FILE:inorganic_metal.txt]
[OBJECT:INORGANIC]
[TILEDATA::DISPLAY_COLOR]

Edit:
These definitions might also be added to the [TYPE:PLANT] section to edit colors for some plants:

[TILEDATA::SAPLING_COLOR]
[TILEDATA::DEAD_SAPLING_COLOR]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:53:53 pm by hermano »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.60 & raw tile merger 0.21
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 08:37:07 pm »

Dang, man, these beans are so cool they're cold.

I'm loving it. Now I'm just waiting on the merge.

Keep it up!

Cubittus

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL][FLASHES]
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.60 & raw tile merger 0.21
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »

Excellent work on the tile scaling too.
Works perfectly!  :D

DrD_AVEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent jeweler
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.61 & raw tile merger 0.21
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2010, 02:37:08 am »

Thanks for your work, hermano! Excellent program!

The only thing I would to say is that picture of tileset and tiles of objects are some little diffused and looks blurry.. I think it's because base image of tileset is resized wrong by 1 or 2 pixels. If you correct this, then images in your program will be look much precise and clear. Thanx again.
P.s. Also, if you want, you can do 2x- or 4x-zoomed preview of selected tile. ;)

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 01:03:16 pm by DrD_AVEL »

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:01 am »

Thanks for your work, hermano! Excellent program!

The only thing I would to say is that picture of tileset and tiles of objects are some little diffused and looks blurry.. I think it's because base image of tileset is resized wrong by 1 or 2 pixels. If you correct this, then images in your program will be look much precise and clear. Thanx again.
P.s. Also, if you want, you can do 2x- or 4x-zoomed preview of selected tile. ;)

Sadly it is not that simple. The graphics library I use, opengl, saves texture data internally in power of two sizes (i.e. 1,2,4,16,32,... pixels). If an image has a different size it has to be rescaled. The lazy solution, which I chose, was to call a function that just always rescales images so they fit. This might lead to a loss of quality, depending on your graphics hardware and video driver.
I rewrote it now, but in some cases there will still be some blurring and other side effects:

If tilesets are displayed at their original size (or a multiple of that) there should be no loss of quality for the tiles. But the names of items might look less nice, as they are scaled anyway to fit more text on the screen.
When displaying tiles in a different size than their original size (e.g. 16x16 as 20x20) they will get blurry, but the texts might look nicer.

tldr: I changed how tiles are displayed, in most cases it should look nicer now.

Edit: I'll add double size for the selected tile soon. I'll probably call that version 1.0 then and leave the program that way, unless errors are found.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:22:23 am by hermano »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
Re: raw tile selector 0.62 & raw tile merger 0.21
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2010, 07:16:50 am »

Yay, you're advertising my tileset!

8)

Awesome.

DrD_AVEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent jeweler
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »

tldr: I changed how tiles are displayed, in most cases it should look nicer now.

Edit: I'll add double size for the selected tile soon. I'll probably call that version 1.0 then and leave the program that way, unless errors are found.

hermano! It IS really nicer now. Some tiles of tileset are still shifted/moved by 1 pixel from original, but looks much better. Thank you for corrections in program you've done.

Also, if you have a time and inspiration, you can do some improvements, for example - ability to use colour scheme from init.txt - then tiles will appear the same color as in the game ^^)

But v0.62 is working just fine already! Thanks!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5