Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF map area.  (Read 7070 times)

Lengry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF map area.
« on: July 27, 2010, 07:49:24 pm »

I'm sure there were threads about that, but I can't find particular answer:

What is the area of biggest (DF generator size preset) generated map in DF?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: DF map area.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 09:31:56 pm »

You mean worldgen world size?  257x257, the same as the "Large" world.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lengry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:32:16 am »

I got it.
I mean if convert it in square kilometers of real world. Can't calculate because I don't know how much tiles there's exactly.
It's like 256x256 where every tile is 256x256 and so on four times?

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 09:55:09 am »

As I understand it there are 48 tiles per region tile, and 16 region tiles per world map tile so...

48 x 16 = 768
768 x 257 = 197376

That puts a large world at 197376 x 197376 which is 38,957,285,376 tiles in a world. Given tiles have no specific dimensions though, its hard to gauge just how big that really is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off with my calculations or if this wasn't what you were really asking for :)
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 09:59:45 am »

and to repurpose a thread for which a simple question was answered:

How large is the DF world? By temperature, it looks to be the size of a hemisphere. But by tiles, it looks to be much smaller. Has anyone done a count or anything?
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:30:58 am »

As I understand it there are 48 tiles per region tile, and 16 region tiles per world map tile so...

48 x 16 = 768
768 x 257 = 197376

That puts a large world at 197376 x 197376 which is 38,957,285,376 tiles in a world. Given tiles have no specific dimensions though, its hard to gauge just how big that really is.

Feel free to correct me if I'm off with my calculations or if this wasn't what you were really asking for :)

Using the assumptions that tiles are 10 feet (3 meters) tall, because that is standard story height, and that all tiles are cubes, I've been running on the assumption that the current tiles are 3m cubes (27 m3).

If we have 197376 tiles across, then it is 592.128 kilometers in either direction, or 350,615.6 km2 surface area (which does not account for any curvature of a real planet, although DF planets are apparently cubes.)

The earth's surface is roughly 510,072,000 km2, for comparison.

Or in other words, we're several orders of magnitude off from a full earth-planet size, but maps are only supposed to be regions that just happen to have the only life on a planet, presumably with some kind of force field that prevents all migration across the edges of the region, so that when something goes extinct within a region, it is extinct for the whole world.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:27:36 pm »

Hmm. The temperature gradient is still kind of puzzling. Perhaps DF planets are tiny? and made of uranium or something.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 12:38:30 pm »

Hmm. The temperature gradient is still kind of puzzling. Perhaps DF planets are tiny? and made of uranium or something.

No, they clearly have a solid slade core.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 05:53:04 pm »

Silly, the slade is only the deep mantle. It has an adamantine core for sure! Or at least a booze core. Why else do dwarves try to dig deeper?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 06:05:29 pm »

Adamantine has a very low density, though.  In order for a small world to have mass (and hence, gravity) near that of Earth's, it has to be filled with impossibly dense materials, which means Slade.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:23 pm »

Slade is below adamantine. Deeper you dig the more slade you find. Slade is also incredibly dense, therefore gravity will draw slade down into the core preferentially, with lighter materials closer to the surface.

Syreniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 07:14:16 am »

Slade is below adamantine. Deeper you dig the more slade you find. Slade is also incredibly dense, therefore gravity will draw slade down into the core preferentially, with lighter materials closer to the surface.

Surely Adamantine should be at the very top then?

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 11:26:25 am »

Adamantine was made by the HFS, I suppose. Or by Armok.

But the Slade theory makes sense. Slade, with its density, could very well function as a replacement core. Though what that does for the magnetic field I cannot even fathom.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:41 am »

Adamantine was made by the HFS, I suppose. Or by Armok.

But the Slade theory makes sense. Slade, with its density, could very well function as a replacement core. Though what that does for the magnetic field I cannot even fathom.
The world is riddled with magnetite!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 11:37:45 am »

True dat! But what effects might that have? I can only speculate...that the magnetic field is fucked. And solar radiation caused mutations are the origin of the many strange species.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!