Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #8: Feedback  (Read 54379 times)

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #8: Feedback
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 02:13:57 pm »

"Big" as in "B-17 Flying Fortress"-sized :D ?

Also, big yes to lots of religion (missionaries, priests demanding cathedrals, religious wars, banning religions, religious dogmas and laws, rivalling religions, ghosts, divine creatures etc. etc. etc. etc.), but dwarves doing stuff on their own like building shrines? Not sure about that. Perhaps if they did it within their own boundaries, like burning candles on the floors of their bedrooms or erecting stuff in a designated chapel or whatever.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 02:14:23 pm »

Okay, whoever thought to put that music over the end, thank you.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 03:54:18 pm »

You teases, I was genuinely looking forward to the explanation of Tarn's/Toady's thesis... and you turned it into a song!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I second this.

I'm really excited for the creation stories at world gen.  It's about time the gods started doing something.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 05:24:43 pm »

Spoilered for math talk

Should we get to work on a big repository of simple, generic chemical reactions?

EG: Acid/Base interactions, Acid/Water and Base/Water interactions, Alcohol's interaction with metals, etc?

Since first names are variable, wouldn't it be possible to code it so that last names are "passed on"? Could probably have the "passing on" partially defined by random variables - ie, a particular dwarven civ passes on the mother's name, another the father's, a third some mix of the two (After 1000 years all the names are several pages long, heehee).

Getting a dwarf to build a temple would probably have to work like a "multi-tile fey mood". Might be easiest to work around if you had some sort of "meeting space zone" that was automagically divided into several "tiles" of a certain size that could eventually be turned into temples, shrines... of course, the zone would have to be dynamically aware of the tables/chairs/statues/etc placed in it. Room zones currently aren't aware of new doors/walls placed around them, so this might be a problem...

However, using a "zone" would keep dwarves from setting up in obtrusive areas like hallways, and setting up tiles would keep the game from having to use the entire space or find an unobtrusive area on its own.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 06:03:18 pm »

I think I agree with Toady on this one;
a detailed list of reactions is undoable and not desirable in any case.
1- superCPU load: because of all possible interactions that would need to be checked.
2- always incomplete, cannot describe all possible reactions.
3- level of detail in biology is on physiol/organ level, not reactions.
4- Without accurate temperature model, no thermodynamics.
5- world would need thermodynamic model including phase transitions, mass tracking, atomic level bookkeeping. gaseous diffusion/ liquid mixing, solids dissolving etc for each separate compound and mineral.
6- feedback/equilibrium mechanisms are a bitch to model.

Limiting chemistry to several iconic, well known, usefull and ancient reactions, probably embellished with some archetypical mythological/magic alchemy should suffice.
I'd rather see some higher level systems modelled, such as biomass and foodchains (webs!).

Similar to modeling symptoms and physiological effects for disease and poisons, rather than listing all possible types of microbes and viruses.  (most of which might never do anything, unless alligator vomit comes into contact with an exposed liver or something as exotic)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:05:05 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

HallowedError

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 09:56:00 pm »

I just listened to the end and loled so hard at the folky music with Tarn rambling.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 12:34:17 am »

Okay, whoever thought to put that music over the end, thank you.

You're welcome!  All editing done by me, as usual.  Also thanks to everyone else for all the kind words about the "song" at the end of the podcast, I put a lot of love into it.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

B0013

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 07:18:26 am »

You teases, I was genuinely looking forward to the explanation of Tarn's/Toady's thesis... and you turned it into a song!

I second this.

Me too.
>{) >(> })o)  Fishes!

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:32 am »

For anyone who genuinely wanted to hear the actual verbal summary of Toady's thesis, I'll see what we can do about posting it in the upcoming days.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 01:27:21 pm »

Regarding historical tooth care:

There's a thing called a miswak ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak ) that acted as an apparently pretty good natural toothbrush used in Mesopotamia.  Black tea was used in China.  Folks used to polish their teeth assiduously and that seemed to work, and a diet rich in protein tended to produce much less decay than grain-based diets (no more dwarven syrup).

While tooth decay was rampant in the past, there were folks who kept their pearly whites in good shape.  In DF, it should be based on diet, some available tools and the individual dwarf's own discipline--much like our own tooth care.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 03:00:30 pm »

FOUNDATION!

That concrete hunk of rock underneath structures that keeps the soil layers from collapsing on them? That you couldn't think of the name when discussing architecture and big towers and whatnot? Foundation.

There, got that off my chest. Enjoyable as ever, guys! Thanks a lot!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 03:45:32 pm »

Actually you dont need a big foundation. A number of pillars anchored in the Rock below the soil is sufficient for many buildings.

Anyway yay for the improved cave-in system.

Before toady goes to more detailed chemicals i would like to see a much better temperature system. Thermic flows etc.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 04:10:28 pm »

Speaking of foundations, one of the cool things about Barad Dur was that it had magic foundations that couldn't be destroyed, so even though they tore the whole thing down, Sauron could rebuild it later.  Sounds pretty dwarfy.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 06:32:37 pm »

njero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »

Actually you dont need a big foundation. A number of pillars anchored in the Rock below the soil is sufficient for many buildings.
You don't even need that. Bedrock is much to deep in the prairies where I live, we make do quite well by just driving or pouring enough deep piles that soil friction holds the building. Our basement floors are often structural slabs, so there could be a six foot void underneath and you'd never know.
these aren't buzzards, they're cliff racers!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8