Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #8: Feedback  (Read 54447 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #8: Feedback
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »

Toady you touched base on not knowing to much about ancient dental hygiene...I am no expert I do know that ancient romans chewed on sticks after meals to clean there teeth

Here is an article on the subject as well
http://americanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/tooth_care_from_egyptians_to_buddha_and_beyond

Drifton

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity is still an optional part of society
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 05:15:16 pm »

well toady you'll get the use of an additional 31 years out of that added bit

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 06:48:47 pm »

I always feel very comforted by listening to these, Toady seems so willing to make this the best game he can.
Thank you based dwarf.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2010, 07:48:36 pm »

Always appreciate the talks. I'm also always impressed by how Toady strikes a balance between what he wants and what the fans want or what the game could be, aside from what's actually committed to.

Was a little disappointed that sociology didn't get much, but what was talked about was fascinating enough. I love the ideas for where Happiness could go, changing to overall emotional states with specific differing emotions layered over, and having all those personality traits guiding and mitigating incoming emotions.

Gingivitis? Gold teeth? Blinging dwarf grills? We have the teeth!

PS- The out take was totally worth the wait.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:56:59 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Level_8_Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2010, 07:51:13 pm »

Thanks for the new talk, they're great to listen to. I'll have fun listening to this later. Happy birthday Toady.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 04:06:26 am »

For the record, I nearly died laughing at the very end.
!!&!!

Fetus4188

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 04:09:05 am »

Hahahaha, great bit with Toady explaining his PhD paper.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 06:38:18 am »

Toady you touched base on not knowing to much about ancient dental hygiene...I am no expert I do know that ancient romans chewed on sticks after meals to clean there teeth

Here is an article on the subject as well
http://americanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/tooth_care_from_egyptians_to_buddha_and_beyond
And used sand for toothpaste.

Some suggestions on sand fluids and communicating cave-in information:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 07:07:42 am »

well toady you'll get the use of an additional 31 years out of that added bit
Technically it should cover full additional 32 years. First of these additional years may have already started depending on your first element numbering scheme. Actually it has definitely started and would had started 1 year ago otherwise.

I am waiting for a transcript of the talk to read. Hopefully there is a caring person with lots of free time on his hands.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 07:32:26 am »

The song near the end is just totally Beyond Quality Awesome

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 12:13:37 pm »

You teases, I was genuinely looking forward to the explanation of Tarn's/Toady's thesis... and you turned it into a song!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I am now super pumped about worlds with different terrestrial constants (or artifacts that change them), for example acceleration due to gravity.

Either creating a fortress in a region without gravity, and watching your dwarves start flying/floating, or getting a "no gravity" artifact, setting it up near traders, and watching them all float away... until they leave the artifact's "Aura" and come crashing back to earth, anyways...
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 12:15:57 pm »

Yay, I had a question answered.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 12:24:34 pm »

A vision of the future is coming to me...

...a fortress dug into hard granite in the cold north, buried under deep snow. The fortress itself is built around a cylinder-shaped open space, and at the bottom floor of the cylinder there's a hole to a layer of oil. Through the hole, at significant pressure, flows oil, which burns in a massive eternal flame upon reaching the oxygen-filled surface fortress. Even when the winter is at its coldest, the fortress is nice and warm, and the inhabitants know at any time how much time has gone by as the hole is covered, extinguishing the flame, every X hours, keeping the flame from overheating the fortress and using up all the oxygen.

The entrance to the fortress is never covered in snow, because the steep stairway leading up to the surface also serves as one of the chimneys for the hot smoke and the rising heat, which makes sure the snow is always melted around the opening on the surface.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/001-0711101502-Oil-Rig-Flame.JPG
http://www.menkent.dk/assistpics/flare.jpg

-----------------

Or, just as likely,

Urist McBlacksmith throws a torch into the oil!
It ignites!
Urist McBlacksmith has died in the heat!
Urist McExpedition Leader has died in the heat!
Urist McRanger has died in the heat!
Urist McGem Setter has died in the heat!
Stay Dog has suffocated!

etc. etc. etc.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other thoughts:

As I said somewhere else, blackpowder is something I'd really like to see, but unlike seemingly everyone else, I want it because it would speed up mining significantly, or make it possible to just blow apart stuff I want removed in unsafe spots or whatever. For example if I'm digging a tunnel that I want filled with water or magma and want to remove that last tile separating the tunnel from the river without drowning the miner. Never really occurred to me to use it in weaponry, and I still find the idea of dwarves with muskets to be sort of silly.

Families as organizations or a kind of "mini-entities" I'd actually love, in the case of some rare, really strong or wealthy families. It's not like there haven't been powerful clans throughout history. Come to think of it, that's kinda what royal families are.

Happiness and thoughts: Dividing these in two, mood/happiness and contentment, would be a nice start here. If you've lost your mother to a natural disaster, you're going to be miserable for months, but you will still have both happy and sad moments. If you look at environments where you have deep despair (cancer wards, psychiatric hospital units, war zones, starving villages, refugee camps, grief support groups, etc.), you'll find lots of happiness, hope, friendship and love along with the bad feelings.

So watching a beautiful waterfall, admiring a great view, or participating in a party in the grand dining hall, should all make you happy, but not necessarily increase your "overall, long-term happiness". It's perfectly possible to say "my life is great, but I've had a truly horrible day -- got stuck in the rain, had to drink muddy water, and found there was no good food left when I got home".
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 01:52:51 pm by Safe-Keeper »
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 01:50:25 pm »

Explosions should be caused by bugs, not blackpowder.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 02:09:09 pm »

Explosions should be caused by bugs, not blackpowder.

So, giant bombardier beetles? Bombardier beetle men? Sounds like fun.

;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 02:42:06 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8