Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Workshop Material Hauling Question  (Read 1133 times)

Dehydration

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Workshop Material Hauling Question
« on: August 21, 2006, 01:18:00 pm »

I'm editing several articles in the Wiki right now to remove some inaccuracies and nitpicky details and I came across a statement that I am not entirely certain of that claimed that dwarves would retrieve materials for their workshops from the nearest source.

While this is probably true for workshops that have only a single undifferentiated resource to be concerned with, such as a Wood Furnace or a Kiln, is it also the case for, say, a Mason producing doors? You have to select the rock used from a large list of all available rocks in your fortress stockpiles, so I was under the impression that it was selecting an individual stone somewhere in your fortress rather than a broad type that could be pulled from the nearest stockpile.

Thoughts or observations?

shouldn''t trust the phones. They''re full of gas.

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Material Hauling Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 01:30:00 pm »

You can't tell a mason what rock to use in his/her workshop, can you? They just grab 'a' rock (I never tried to figure out how they decide which one) and make a door, and then you  pick which door you want to place out of all the different doors that are available in stockpiles/workshops.

genmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:31:00 pm »

I imagine the mason randomly selects the rock, say dolomite, then goes and gets the nearest dolomite rock?

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 01:33:00 pm »

From the patterns of depletion and replenishing of my stone pile, it seems that they go for the closest rock at least most of the time. The problem I've seen is that they go for the rock which is geographically nearest them at the time they decide they need it, regardless of how long they have to walk to get it. It'd actually be nice if they'd look at walking times instead.