Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woodcutters just milling around doing nothing.  (Read 11339 times)

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woodcutters just milling around doing nothing.
« on: April 17, 2010, 07:26:02 pm »

My woodcutters are assigned, I have a wood stockpile, trees designated to cut, but no one will cut the frigging wood.

Also, what's a good tip to reduce the amount of idlers in the fortress?

Thanks in advance.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woodcutters just milling around doing nothing.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 07:28:24 pm »

make some hauling jobs. and to get someone to work use (v) go to labour and turn on woodcutting on one of your dwarfs

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 07:30:13 pm »

You probably need more Battle Axes, try having some made at your forge. its possible that the one/two battle axes you brought at the start are being used by a dwarf that is busy else where so just give it time.

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 07:31:22 pm »

If you read what I've already posted, my woodcutters are assigned as woodcutters via the labour screen [v / p / l / wood crafting / woodcutter]. They're not doing anything.

That also seems like a weak solution to getting people to work, is there no way I can create a supply/demand so that they can produce items that get used?

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 07:32:06 pm »

Okay, I'll make more battleaxes, thanks. Sorry for dp.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 07:47:40 pm »

Started a new game under 0.31.03 yesterday and have run into the same problem: I have battleaxes available (and accessible), trees designated (and accessible), and the wood cutting labor activated on several dwarves, but no trees are being cut. The dwarves will do any other job I assign, but will stand idle if wood cutting is their only labor.

None of my dwarves have woodcutting skill - but it would be unprecedented if the skill were a requirement to do the job, seemingly unlike any other labor in the game.

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 07:49:46 pm »

This could be a new bug. I'll report it on Bugtracker and post my save.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:53:06 pm »

i recall the same issue earlier today too actually, does dwarf fortress automaticly update?

BlackRat90

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 08:01:35 pm »

i recall the same issue earlier today too actually, does dwarf fortress automaticly update?

No

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 08:03:12 pm »

Thats wierd then, 1 out of 3 world files have that glitch =s using .01 i think it is?

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 08:05:35 pm »

I've reported it on bugtracker with my save.

baruk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 03:41:27 am »

Started a new game under 0.31.03 yesterday and have run into the same problem: I have battleaxes available (and accessible), trees designated (and accessible), and the wood cutting labor activated on several dwarves, but no trees are being cut. The dwarves will do any other job I assign, but will stand idle if wood cutting is their only labor.

None of my dwarves have woodcutting skill - but it would be unprecedented if the skill were a requirement to do the job, seemingly unlike any other labor in the game.

Woodcutting works for me now. It seems the problem was that the battle axe sitting in my stockpile was not available for my wood cutter because it was technically still assigned to an inactive military unit - nevermind that the soldier and wood cutter happened to be the same dwarf.
 A reload and some redesignation seemed to sort it out.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 06:41:33 pm »

I wonder what is triggering it, it only happens sometimes and not to everyone :S Im still having problems, trying the method above

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:01 pm »

There are some serious pathing issues still present in the game.

Saving/reloading often works.

Then, try disabling the labour on the dwarf, unpausing for a few, and re-enabling it.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Random_Guy7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 06:56:48 pm »

Okay, apparently it might be a Dwarf Therapist problem, I'm going to work on reproducting the bug without using DT.

Although the bug guys used my save, and had a woodcutter go and cut one log, and then haul the axe back to the stockpile and go to no job. Hopefully I can work this out, but apparently the DT dev guy is going to try and fix it on his end.
Pages: [1] 2