Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Let's Play: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic  (Read 53400 times)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
Let's Play: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
« on: April 18, 2010, 04:37:41 pm »

I'm sure you all know what Star Wars is.  If you don't, welcome back to the real world from the rock you've been living under for the previous thirty-three years.  Aside from the six movies that form the basis of the franchise, there are innumerable novels, comic books, a holiday special (no holiday special exists, nope, not at all), animated series, and so forth.  Perhaps where the so-called "expanded universe" has most shined, however, are in the video games (to be fair, the rest of the expanded universe is of... far less than stellar [pun intended] quality, but that's neither here nor there).

Pictured:  Darth Malak, Sith fighters, the Ebon Hawk, HK-47, T3-M4, a random Selkath (for some reason), Bastila Shan, and Sith ground forces.

Knights of the Old Republic is set several millenia before the movies themselves, in a Galactic Republic reeling from two bloody wars and in the midst of a third.  The Great Sith War against a former Jedi, Exar Kun, had revived the Sith in a new form, and soon after a warlike race called the Mandalorians attempted to conquer the Republic.  It seemed for a time after these wars that the Republic would have a chance to rebuild; however, not long after, the disappeared heroes of the Mandalorian Wars, Revan and Malak, returned as conquerors at the head of a vast fleet.  Where they had gotten it, and why they had turned on the Republic, noone was sure, but not even the loss of Revan could stop their assault.  The Republic and Admiral Forn Dodonna have a secret weapon, however: Bastila Shan, a Jedi skilled in using a power known as Battle Meditation to turn the tide of a battle.  She, a skilled pilot named Carth Onasi, and a member of the Republic Army suddenly assigned to the ship have been sent on a mission aboard the Endar Spire...

Character Creation

Yes, it's that time again.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(Note:  Canonically, the main character is male and went down the Light Side path.  We aren't limited to that, of course, although the regular romance option for male characters is vastly less annoying than the female one [there's something of a secondary option for female characters, but it's not very developed and I'll get to that later], if that factors into your decision at all.)
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 04:38:30 pm »

The Cast
(organised by the group they belong to at first meeting)

Galactic Republic

Hazar Denolo (No voice actor).  The main character, a smuggler roped into becoming a member of the Republic fleet.  Now in training to become a Jedi.

Trask Ulgo (Cam Clarke).  Your one-stop shop for all your exposition needs.  Killed by a Dark Jedi on the Endar Spire.

Carth Onasi (Raphael Sbarge).  Captain in the Republic Navy, piloting the Endar Spire when it came under attack.  Not killed by a Dark Jedi.

The Jedi

: Bastila Shan (Jennifer Hale).  A young Jedi Padawan who has become important due to her ability to turn the tide of battles.  Rescues herself from a swoop gang on Taris and lets us join her party.

: Vrook Lamar (Edward Asner).  Member of the Dantooine Enclave council, as well as the Jedi High Council on Coruscant.  Is the most concerned at the idea of training us to be a Jedi.

: Vandar Tokare (Tom Kane).  Leader of the Dantooine Enclave, and is one of the same unnamed species as Yoda belongs to.

: Juhani (Courtenay Taylor).  A Cathar training to become a Jedi, who falls to the dark side after thinking she killed her Master.  Hazar turns her back and she rejoins the Jedi Order.

The Sith

: Darth Malak (Rafael Ferrer).  Dark Lord of the Sith, having gained the title the old fashioned way when he decided to kill Darth Revan.  Born Alek Squinquargesimus, which is Latin for "Sfiftrieth".*
*Seriously.  "quinquagesimus" is "fiftieth"...

Saul Karath (uncredited).  Admiral of the Sith Fleet, formerly with the Republic fleet during the Mandalorian Wars.  He still holds some concern for excessive casualties, but when it comes time to perform his orders he does so and doesn't look back - even if he must kill an entire planet.

The Exchange

Calo Nord (uncredited).  Galaxy-famous bounty hunter, doesn't like to talk and doesn't like people who talk to him.  Gets a turbolaser blast to the head trying to get off Taris.

: Canderous Ordo (John Cygan).  A former Mandalorian soldier who, like many of his people, has turned to mercenary work.  Joins with Hazar to steal the Ebon Hawk and get off Taris.

: T3-M4 (beeps and whistles).  A top of the line utility droid built by Janice Nall of Taris for the leader of the Exchange.  Hazar threatens her to get it for free and use it in one of Canderous' plan, and no reason not to bring it along afterwards.

Hidden Beks

Mission Vao (Cat Taber).  A young Twi'lek orphan who grew up on the streets of the Taris Lower City.

Zaalbar (Series of generic Wookiee grunts).  Mission's close friend and protector.

More to come once we meet more people, of course.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:12:54 pm by Judas Maccabeus »
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 04:43:40 pm »

BE HAN SOLO.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 05:00:41 pm »

BE HAN SOLO.

YEAH, LIGHT SIDE SCOUNDREL, BLASTERS ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION!
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 05:09:49 pm »

Hmph, I was hoping to be a little bit serious about this....  :P

(Besides, "blasters only" isn't all that great an idea in this game.  KotOR 2, maybe, but not here...  Light Side Scoundrel definitely works quite fine, though.  :) )
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 05:11:49 pm by Judas Maccabeus »

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 05:12:58 pm »

Fine, we'll be ninja Han Solo. Hand-to-hand only.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

Pathos

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 05:14:02 pm »

Light side scoundrel, dual wield, no armour, male if you like.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 05:20:01 pm »

Dual wield is okay too I guess.

One thing I like to do is to dual wield lightsabers, and have one blue and one red.

Then I'd go around saving people and hugging kittens and stuff, before electrocuting bad guys to death en mass.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 05:39:29 pm »

No, but seriously, scoundrel, try to be as neutral as possible until you have to go light side.

No super heavy armor, either.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:36 pm »

Wait, Light Side Male Soldier who becomes Light Side Male Jedi Guardian Light Saber Duel Wielder.
Well, I actually don't care about starting class. Just as long as we duel wield swords or heavy blasters.

In the starting area, take the other guys blaster (And sword.) Get the Long Swords later on in the level. Electrocute bad guys on the way to escape pod and take the prototype vibro blade.

I beat this game, twice to have you know. Although I was never able to free this Republic Prisoners on Korriban.

psyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 07:27:06 pm »

For most fun: DS Scout 2/Consular 18. ~450 FP and you can Force Kill/Force Storm/Death Field 100 enemies in a row before draining force. Heavy armor actually gives more AC due to AC type stacking rules (Jedi robe AC does not stack with powers) -- except maybe for a 28+ Dex. build, I can't remember -- but it limits the fun powers.

And whatever you do, don't go with a LS Consular unless you enjoy Force Waving every enemy to death.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 08:00:34 pm »

LS Soldier or Scoundrel. Male. Duals.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:09 pm »

[Dividing this into two parts, since it's rather longer than I expected.]

Intro: The Two Most Annoying Men in the Republic Fleet

Spoiler: Intro (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Endar Spire (click to show/hide)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:47 pm »

Spoiler: Endar Spire Starboard (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11