Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How will DF run in this?  (Read 1827 times)

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
How will DF run in this?
« on: December 10, 2007, 05:14:00 pm »

PIII 700mhz, 256Mb RAM, HD 10.0Gb.... Buuut, only an onboard videocard with 8mb VRAM.... Will it run with atleast 15FPS ?

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How will DF run in this?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 05:22:00 pm »

Given what I know about computers, which is quite a bit. I would say 'No' from first inspection. It MAY run that, if you turn all the temperture, weather, and other stuff off, and keep the play size as small as possible, and keeping the population down to 10 or so.

Or it may not.

Try it out. ^_^

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 05:47:00 pm »

Wow, I didn't even know anyone still owned a PIII anymore. Anyways, that system is nowhere near enough to handle DF. You'd spend your time better watching paint dry. Honestly, I think you'd be spending HOURS just to go through one month, not even a whole SEASON, of play.

But, it's entirely up to you whether or not you want to try it out.

This is not a signature.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:40:00 pm »

Considering I have a 3.2ghz processor, 2 gigs RAM, and 256mb video RAM- while still getting a bit of lag occasionally on larger maps...  I don't think it'd be worth it.

My laptop which has a 1.4ghz processor and 32mb video ram struggles to play with medium sized maps.

cazelfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 08:00:00 pm »

Yes, it will probably run it.

No, you will probably not enjoy it, especially with the newer and delightfully more complicated version.  ASCII graphics are deceptive!

Addendum: Then again, has anybody tried running the smallest map possible on a lacking system?  That combined with no fun stuff (weather, temperature, etc) might help out a lot.

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: cazelfax ]

Aspartic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by cazelfax:
<STRONG> ASCII graphics are deceptive!

[ December 10, 2007: Message edited by: cazelfax ]</STRONG>

Its not the graphics, its all the processor jobs like pathfinding, weather, moving water, ect that really slow things down.

If you try it, go with a small map, stay away from moving water, and features that have lots of enemies, like caves and such.

o matter the cost.

cazelfax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 12:11:00 am »

Oh, I know, that's why I said they're deceptive.  It looks like it would be easy to run until you count in all the massive quantities of awesome the game processes per second.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

You might get enough speed playing version 23a. I'd not expect good results with the newer versions.
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Black Line

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 02:35:00 am »

It might run but it would be slow as fak spend $100 and you can get a way better computer or you could try to oc that one.
elp build Alabelina click >here<
Here have a cookie

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 08:28:00 am »

Well, this P3 was a junk notebook I got for free... Maybe will try to sell it, since it failed miserably in everything I tried to do.

termitehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:12:00 am »

Just play on the plains, no mountainous areas

Details Inside

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

I can play on a PIII 600 with 32mb graphics and 300 and something ram and get approx 30 fps when starting off, albeit i have never really gotten more than 15 dwarves (as I usually screw things up) and weather and temperature are turned off but it suits my purposes when someone else is using my better computer.

Carlos Gustavos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 12:19:00 pm »

I play DF on a PII 333MHz, 192Mb RAM and 32Mb VRAM. It works fine. Granted, not as well as it could.

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 07:44:00 pm »

My primary Dwarf Fortress machine is a 800mhz Celeron laptop, with 1 gig RAM and onboard ATI video (Radeon Mobility); I start off around 40 FPS and don't usually drop below 30.  My oldest fort is about 4 years at this point, with 80+ dwarves.  It's in mountainous terrain with a magma vent, river, and cavern lake.

I play with weather AND temp turned on.  I did notice a pretty huge FPS increase when I went to graphics mode (I had been playing in regular for a long time).

Plus I can use the nifty tilesets.  :)

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax