Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SVN Client  (Read 1130 times)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
SVN Client
« on: April 20, 2010, 06:30:37 pm »

I Recomend you use an SVN system to manage dwarf fortress releases.  the game programer(s) is hard at work on the project and the SVN client allows people to get any changes made as soon as they are made between releases.  It would also help manage versions so you can have multiple people working on the project if you should decide to.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: SVN Client
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 06:38:39 pm »

Do you mean nightly builds, or something else?  Nightly builds aren't going to happen:

Quote from: Toady One
I can't release every day (the release process itself takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to get through my check list)

detsuo04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:49:07 pm »

an svn client automatically uploads changes to a server and people can update there game at will so the server just contains the latest version of the game even if you make only the slightest changes.  people can update from the svn cliant and always have the latest version.  I'm not entirly sure how it works but it was used a lot for garry's mod to allow the general population access to sub versions of a mod.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Subversion

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 06:54:58 pm »

Only one person is working on the code, Toady will make builds as he sees fit, there's no real need for an SVN.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:39 pm »

I know what SVN is, I use it every day.  However, since DF is not an open-source project, Toady would have to prepare what's referred to as a nightly build.  And he's not going to do that, as explained above.

Stik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:59:58 pm »

Yea garrys mod uses svns for a bunch of addons although player made addons at that.

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 07:01:48 am »

Only one person is working on the code, Toady will make builds as he sees fit, there's no real need for an SVN.

Even with only one people working on a project, there is ALWAYS a reason to use sourcecontrol: all changes are kept. Lets say you make a big change to a part of the code and you find out that it doesn't work like it should work. Reverting code to an older version is really easy. I'm a programmer by trade and I cannot imagine working on a larger-than-a-simple-utility project without sourcecontrol.

Although it's a great tool for developers, I don't see much of a benefit in the suggestion. For us it doesn't matter if we download DF binaries from the page or whatever, and we're not going to use sourcecontrol for what it's used for (source), since Toady doesn't intend to make DF an opensource project.