Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: The Plump Helmet Man Question  (Read 15563 times)

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Plump Helmet Man Question
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:40:41 pm »

So.  We have plump helmet men (PHM, even).  We obviously must exploit them somehow via modding.

One person has already produced a mod to make them secrete noxious fumes to make a stinking, mobile mushboom.

There was also talk of making them into a pacifistic civ with a high splinter and reproductive rate, possibly forcing them to wear nothing but vests and shorts/loincloths to go with their mushroom people look.

Got some of it rolling in dwarf mode discussion,
but figured it should go over here for some proper creative... examination(?).
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:38:58 am by Coidzure Dreams »

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Plump Helmet Man Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 01:00:49 pm »

I added the pet tag, and tamed one. Then I was able to use it as a noble. Didn't work though, just got kicked off as soon as I exited.

The civ you're talking about is a bit too similar to underground elves I think.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 01:01:24 pm »

The edibility of the PHM has the apparent capacity to make dwarves eat like zombies. There's gotta be something there.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 01:01:58 pm »

Frankly, bar maybe some of the more alarming inhabitants of The Big Top, Plump Helmet Men are easily the most terrifying thing in the entire game.

I mean, there isn't yet the ability to cause them to be able to infect enemies and slowly turn them into shambling copies of themselves as in "Attack of The Mushroom people" or "The Voice in The Night", but a necrotic touch would be a good start. I think making them a pacifistic civilization is foolish - fungus just wants to corrupt and decay everything it can.

Saying all this, I'd much rather speculate on their origin. I think they're dwarves that have had nothing to eat but plump helmets for far, far too long. Thoughts?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 01:29:43 pm »

I added the pet tag, and tamed one. Then I was able to use it as a noble. Didn't work though, just got kicked off as soon as I exited.

ELABORATE
I wish to know if I can make any intelligent pets into nobles as well.
what does "got kicked off as soon as I exited" mean?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 01:31:31 pm »

While I recognize the potential for fungus-based lifeforms to be threatening, I strongly feel that, in world including dwarves, plump helmet men always will and should be victims.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Megabass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »

Links are kinda janky, Coidzure.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 02:03:31 pm »

So.  We have plump helmet men (PHM, even).  We obviously must exploit them somehow via modding.

One person has already produced a mod to make them secrete noxious fumes to make a stinking, mobile mushboom.

There was also talk of making them into a pacifistic civ with a high splinter and reproductive rate, possibly forcing them to wear nothing but vests and shorts/loincloths to go with their mushroom people look.

Got some of it rolling in dwarf mode discussion,
but figured it should go over here for some proper creative... examination(?).

^
Links fixed. Just a c/p error.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 03:18:42 pm »

While I recognize the potential for fungus-based lifeforms to be threatening, I strongly feel that, in world including dwarves, plump helmet men always will and should be victims.

While I can't find fault with your logic, I feel that the most horrifying enemy is one's own guilt. The Plump Helmet Man is the living embodiment of Dwarfkind's callous disregard for their fellow lifeforms, and as such is their perfect nemesis.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »

what is it that makes PHM so interesting? I've yet to see any other sort of -men thread like this one. I am playing advocate of the HFS though, I've always loved the idea of mushroom-folk.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 11:10:38 pm »

what is it that makes PHM so interesting? I've yet to see any other sort of -men thread like this one. I am playing advocate of the HFS though, I've always loved the idea of mushroom-folk.

Their bodies are edible raw. When a dwarf kills one, there's a fairly good chance they will crack the body open and start eating.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 11:14:52 pm »

The PHM, symbolic of everything dwarfs live to destroy...What a noble little creature!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:49:27 pm »

Imagine if Americans found a sentient race that was made out of cheeseburgers.
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:38:29 am »

-snip for copypasta-

^
Links fixed. Just a c/p error.

Sorry, must've been viewing one of my posts at the time.  Went in and added in the corrections. 

Imagine if Americans found a sentient race that was made out of cheeseburgers.

...Sigged.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:41:21 am by Coidzure Dreams »

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 02:21:46 am »

run for your life, Mayor McCheese!
We are who we are, depending on who we were.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4