Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse  (Read 28822 times)

Pathos

Re: Campaign to Arrest the Pope over Child Abuse
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2010, 07:43:50 pm »

See, this is what I'm talking about.

Guess how much I don't care. If you really want to insult each other, which you continue to do despite both of you claiming to have quit speaking to each other, do it far away from us.

Don't stress it, Jack, I'm sure Toady will deal with it in time.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 23, 2010, 07:45:15 pm »

The thing is though, he's going to deal with both of you, so the best thing to do would be to cut your losses and just. Stop. And when I say stop, don't respond with "But I have stopped, it's just that Pathos/CJ <insert insult here>".

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 23, 2010, 07:46:59 pm »

See, this is what I'm talking about.

Guess how much I don't care. If you really want to insult each other, which you continue to do (the both of you, no matter what you want to claim), do it far away from us.

I swear, I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion here. If Pathos is willing to stop shouting at me for bringing religion into a thread about the pope, I'll stop taking potshots at him.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 23, 2010, 07:47:30 pm »

I enjoy the constructive anecdotal incidence threads, and the news ones are often great, but opinion threads get nasty after about 10 pages in. I guess it's sort of end-game with these though, it's kind of like saying have a debate, but don't disagree or defend your case, or else the other side will become emotionally charged. Objectivity is very hard in subjective threads.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Pathos

« Reply #214 on: April 23, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »

Back onto the topic at hand, apparently it's "safer" not to defrock paedophilic priests.

For those too lazy to read it:-
Adrian Child, the director of Catholic Safeguarding Advisory Service (CSAS), told The Tablet that communities were better protected when the Church was able to supervise known abusers and manage their behaviour after the completion of their sentence.

“If there is a body of people around an offender who monitor their day-to-day activities and help manage them adopt a ‘good life’ model, this is more effective than brandishing them on the wider community, which evidence suggests could lead to more offending.”

Related Articles
British Catholics at loggerheads with Vatican over gay abuse comments
Vatican links homosexuality and paedophilia
Ringo Starr rebuffs Vatican's 'absolution' of The Beatles
Vatican: abuse priests should be reported
Sex abuse 'endemic' in Catholic institutions
'The Catholic church failed me. I despised myself and lost all confidence'Mr Child said that laicisation could take place if the priest was uncooperative with his rehabilitation programme.

However, campaigners called the proposal an “insult” to abused children and their families.

Peter Tatchell, a human rights campaigner, described the idea as “shocking” and said it sent a message that the Church was going “soft” on child sex abusers.

“It’s an affront to the victims to have an abuser continue his clerical duties,” he said.

CSAS is the national agency responsible for safeguarding good practice within the Catholic Church in England and Wales.

The Catholic Church is engulfed by a child sex scandal and under pressure to bring accused priests to justice.

Last month Pope Benedict XVI apologised to victims of decades of abuse by Catholic priests in Ireland and criticised the Irish church for its handling of the cases.

The bold at the end always gets me. HE handled the god damn cases. Or did he criticise them as being too open about it, and not wreathed in secrecy?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #215 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:36 pm »

CJ1145 has been muted for 3 days for derailing the thread and insulting/threatening people.

The topic has been locked because the OP insulted somebody and didn't handle a derail correctly.  Please report problems to the moderators instead of calling people idiots and arguing for pages and then reporting them.  Pathos has been warned for this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]