Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ordering animals with specific gender...  (Read 820 times)

Matias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ordering animals with specific gender...
« on: October 19, 2007, 08:34:00 am »

As the topic says, I'd like to order male or/and female animals from caravans. It is frustrating that if your entire (fe)male gender of one species is annihilated (somehow my entire bullpack (?) was loitering near well, when hordes of lizardmen jumped out and killed every one of them (okey, all three of them). With next human caravan, I placed cows as very high priority and next year I get one lousy cow in a wooden cage! After figuratively strangling the human ambassador and my computer screen, I decided to ask if something could be done with the ordering part of caravans...

-Matias

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
Re: Ordering animals with specific gender...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 11:16:00 am »

The Hordes of stray animals that I always have to cull mostly just irritate me
(die kittens, die! you are impeading my production.) so if I lose all my female heard animals it is usually reason for celebration (bloody migrants and their goddam tagalongs). If you are desprate for females just put the demand to maximum once you get the option and the humans will usually bring 4 of whatever was requested.

(though I have been playing with the zoopack so I have about 12 differnt types of tame animals).

[ October 19, 2007: Message edited by: jester ]

If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Joker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:50:00 am »

When I first started playing I was getting very frustrated with attempts at animal breeding programs due to the same problems mentioned here: having my animals killed off by monsters, falling into chasms, etc., or getting dozens of the damn things underfoot in the hallways.

I finally figured out to put a big holding room behind my kitchen/tanner/leather shops. This room holds the butcher shop and the rest of it is used to pen up ALL animals except war dogs using ropes and chains. Door off the room to minimize bad thoughts due to watching sausage-makin'.   :eek:

Also make sure to put a refuse pile that accepts bones/shells/skulls/raw hides nearby. Combined with a closeby craft shop, this takes care of a lot of centralization.

I know this is sort of off-topic in regards to ordering animal gender in trade, but this deals with the problems related to it. It keeps the animals safe, out of your way, and close to the shops they supply. I have never had a problem with feeding my fortress since using this obvious-in-hindsight technique.

Before, I adandoned several fortresses when my dog or horse breeding program was killed off early. It's a huge hit to lose such an easy supply of food, bolts, crafts, leather, and protection.

Zargen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

cancelled hauling: Traumatized by animal cruelty.