Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon Availability  (Read 777 times)

DaveLawson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon Availability
« on: October 19, 2007, 11:32:00 pm »

One thing that has happened to me a few times is that I've told a squad to equip, say spears, and even a couple of seasons later, they still don't have them equipped.  What's worse is I'm unaware that they aren't armed yet.  I'd have to go to each soldier in the squad individually to verify they've picked up their weapon.

What would be very nice would be for the colour of the weapon selected in your military screen (m->w) would turn, say red, to indicate that a weapon type has been indicated, but the soldier does not have that weapon yet equipped.  Blue could indicate that the appropriate weapon has already been found and grabbed, and the trooper is ready for combat.  Perhaps a third colour could be used to indicate that you don't have that weapon available for whatever reason, but I suspect that would be more difficult to implement.

Maybe I'm missing something and there's an easy work around, if so by all means call me a fool and tell me what I'm overlooking -- and ignore this thread!

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Availability
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 02:51:00 am »

I agree.  If a dwarf could be given a wartime and a training weapon for his own, and complain loudly when they can't be grabbed as desired, that would be even better.

Speaking more generally, the entire military interface is doubtless intended as a placeholder.  When ToadyOne revamps the military in dwarf fortress mode, we can hope that a lot of the current issues will go away.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.