Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I must have wood logs!  (Read 22262 times)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: I must have wood logs!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 06:36:28 pm »

Oh yeah! Wasn't that with Bugs Bunny, and it revolved around those 2 woochucks/groundhogs/I have no clue?
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 06:40:02 pm »

A wooden toy made of 61 logs....

Whip that thing out when the elves show up, and they'll all pass out from shock and horror.

That would be epic.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Syzgyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:30 pm »

Reminds me of an old cartoon where some kind of lumberjack had entire tree trunks loaded into a machine that sawed down each trunk to one toothpick...

Not sure if this is what you were thinking of, but it certainly fits the bill.  Starts at 6 min in, enjoy your stroll down memory lane.
http://www.mojvideo.com/video-tiny-toon-adventures-strange-tales-of-weird-science-part2/5f1587d3bba7bb0419ab

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2010, 01:02:59 pm »

Nope, not it. After a bit of searching, came upon a Goofy Gophers short, "Lumber Jerks". Wasn't it either, although a similar premise. I'm not sure whether it was Bugs or Woody in that particular short I'm thinking of, but it might be older than either Lumber Jerks or your suggestion. The scene in question was just the tree getting loaded into a machine, sawdust flying out, a toothpick emerging on the other end and the lumberjack picks his teeth with it and throws it away.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:04:49 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2010, 03:14:16 pm »

Wow this works really easy, just make burrow called mood and set it on all your stock piles and assign any dwarf that gets a mood to that burrow and let him/her go to town. This is what I made from a possession(not everything but you'll get the idea) :o
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:43 pm »

Finally, a way to get rid of my thousands of metal bars and hundreds of thousands of stone. Can dwarves die of starvation/thirst while hauling that much stone during a mood? It took a small army of dwarves 6 years to get them all to my quantum dump, how long will it take my mason to gather them all to his shop???
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »

It took a small army of dwarves 6 years to get them all to my quantum dump, how long will it take my mason to gather them all to his shop???
6x[the number of dwarves that it took to move all that rock] Years. (but it can be shorter if the workshop is right next to it)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2010, 06:54:08 pm »

Toy axe, actually. It took 61 logs before I figured out what was going on. He wouldn't start because the workshop was outside his assigned burrow. Well here it is:
How can someone compress 61 logs into a toy axe?
It's actually made of sawdust. All the rest is set aside for throwing into elves' faces.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »

Toy axe, actually. It took 61 logs before I figured out what was going on. He wouldn't start because the workshop was outside his assigned burrow. Well here it is:
How can someone compress 61 logs into a toy axe?
It's actually made of sawdust. All the rest is set aside for throwing into elves' faces.
I think you have it backwards. It's made of tiny slivers of wood composited together. The rest is ground into sawdust for throwing into elves' faces.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2010, 04:53:18 am »

A wooden toy made of 61 logs....

Whip that thing out when the elves show up, and they'll all pass out from shock and horror.

It's not just any toy, it's a toy axe. You know, the very instrument used to desecrate their precious forests, made from the wood of 61 trees, with massive wastage, to give to some lucky princeling to play with.

This is the sort of thing that you can see great wars of elf vs dwarf being started over.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2010, 12:48:27 pm »

This exploit definitely works.

My already legendary engraver got a fey mood and claimed a craftsdwarf workshop. So I got a good occasion to test the whole thing and get rid of stone I didn't want. I have set up a proper burrow, then deleted it once he grabbed all I wanted so he could actually start. He turned 316 pieces of stone (mostly microcline and gypsum) and one grizzly bear leather into a ... mug. No idea how he has packed all this into a mug which weights only 2 dwarfpounds... Anyway I got an artifact worth 384000☼ and much less stone cluttering my hallways. This is my new favorite exploit!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 01:04:29 am »

Oh god, no-one report this in the bugtracker, this needs to remain as a feature!
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:18 am »

Oh god, no-one report this in the bugtracker, this needs to remain as a feature!

FAIL.

Every time I see something along the lines of "hush, nobody tell this to the people in charge", I die a little inside.

Should there be a way for artifacts to pile on decorations? Perhaps.

But doing it on command should not be this simple, and it should not be something that has nothing to do with the dwarf.

This is a bug. Using it to generate supervaluable, superdecorated artifacts is an exploit.

Full stop.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Yagrum Bagarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2010, 01:42:29 am »

Shurhaian,

It's not hurting you that this exploit exists, and there are certainly more important things to fix right now.  This is one of the bugs that is both amusing and harmless (as opposed to acid rain, which is "just" amusing).  I don't see any problem with letting it be known that we, as players, aren't prioritizing this fix as highly as the heat transfer and military bugs.

I can't imagine that 612DwarfAvenue was being serious, anyway.  As many players as this game has, I wouldn't be surprised if someone makes a thread about this bug every month or so, thinking they're the first to discover it.
---

On topic: this bug is probably related to the one that created planepacked.  See the wiki: http://magmawiki.com/index.php/Planepacked#Possible_explanation_suggested
DF gives "Last Living Dwarf" a whole new meaning.

.gif credit (and thanks) to Whitney

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2010, 02:06:33 am »

That's what she said.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4