Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I must have wood logs!  (Read 22250 times)

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I must have wood logs!
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2010, 02:08:06 am »

Oh god, no-one report this in the bugtracker, this needs to remain as a feature!

FAIL.

Every time I see something along the lines of "hush, nobody tell this to the people in charge", I die a little inside.

Should there be a way for artifacts to pile on decorations? Perhaps.

But doing it on command should not be this simple, and it should not be something that has nothing to do with the dwarf.

This is a bug. Using it to generate supervaluable, superdecorated artifacts is an exploit.

Full stop.

Uh huh. And what do you think the arch was? The wheel? The lever? Do you call those exploits as well?

Personally I don't think I'll use this, but if people want to, what do you care? It's not difficult to just not use it yourself.
This is to make me recognizable.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2010, 02:24:47 am »

i think i'll use it once, just to see what i can make. Or if i get bored. But i prefer to run an honest, non-exploitive game.

of course, using it will make the goblins throw hissy fits, and send thousand upon thousand of warriors at once, and...

you know, i'm not sure WHAT i really want.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2010, 08:39:09 am »

Uh huh. And what do you think the arch was? The wheel? The lever? Do you call those exploits as well?
...those have what to do with someone saying "don't report an obvious bug"?
Personally I don't think I'll use this, but if people want to, what do you care? It's not difficult to just not use it yourself.
Whether or not someone uses the exploit is not the issue. If you actually read what I posted, the problem is the "no-one report this on the bug tracker" line.

This doesn't appear to be a quirk of the game's (intentional) design that can be taken advantage of(as perpetual motion plants are, for now). It's a bug, plain and simple. It would of course be more meaningful in a multiplayer game with direct competition, and it's not a bug that warrants a high-priority fix. If it had just been put as "I hope Toady doesn't get around to fixing this anytime soon" that would have been fine. It's certainly one of the more amusing and benign bugs out there - so long as you don't let a dwarf use all of a rare resource , which was kind of the problem in the OP's case; but knowing what causes it allows one to put a stop to it if that happens.

The only problem was in the "don't report it" slant. I've seen that used too often in seriousness to find it remotely funny if it was a joke.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2010, 10:28:04 am »

...those have what to do with someone saying "don't report an obvious bug"?
Whether or not someone uses the exploit is not the issue. If you actually read what I posted, the problem is the "no-one report this on the bug tracker" line.

This doesn't appear to be a quirk of the game's (intentional) design that can be taken advantage of(as perpetual motion plants are, for now). It's a bug, plain and simple. It would of course be more meaningful in a multiplayer game with direct competition, and it's not a bug that warrants a high-priority fix. If it had just been put as "I hope Toady doesn't get around to fixing this anytime soon" that would have been fine. It's certainly one of the more amusing and benign bugs out there - so long as you don't let a dwarf use all of a rare resource , which was kind of the problem in the OP's case; but knowing what causes it allows one to put a stop to it if that happens.

The only problem was in the "don't report it" slant. I've seen that used too often in seriousness to find it remotely funny if it was a joke.

Ah ok. Sorry for snapping at you. It certainly should be reported.
This is to make me recognizable.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2010, 12:25:16 pm »

i think i'll use it once, just to see what i can make. Or if i get bored. But i prefer to run an honest, non-exploitive game.

of course, using it will make the goblins throw hissy fits, and send thousand upon thousand of warriors at once, and...

you know, i'm not sure WHAT i really want.

I think I am going to use it all the time. It is much funner way to dispose excess stone that all others possible. And a super-valuable artifact actually doesn't give you any unfair advantage, only makes goblins send bigger sieges. But I like that sort of Fun.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 12:30:15 pm »

Yeah, I wouldn't really call it an unfair ADVANTAGE... More like a unfair (but self-imposed) DISadvantage. Of course, it'll get you more immigrants, but getting immigrants too fast is almost as dangerous as getting goblins and orcs too fast. These little glitches give DF character (of course, its sheer awesomeness does too). They're what made this community into what it is, one of the only nice places on the internet...

*sniff*
I love you guys.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 02:49:22 pm »

Urist McNoah; I must have wood logs!
Urist McNoah has created Ark, a wooden boat!
It has started raining.
Actually, that's not a bad idea for a megaconstruction. Build a giant boat with every type of animal you can get your hands in inside, then flood the world. Water is traditional, but magma is preferred. Bonus points for building a giant reservoir above the world lined with floor hatches hooked up to some sort of RNG so it rains down from above.
I don't think that's such a smart idea. You'll kill your PC,  not to mention FPS.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 02:54:35 pm »

It's also no longer possible to flood a map with magma as it now flows off map edges. You can build a little magma kiddie pool and flood that, but somehow I don't see it being as impressive.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »

So? Unless it stops being simulated once it flows off.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 05:01:22 pm »

Wall off the edges of the map.
くコ:彡

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 05:25:31 pm »

The time to use this exploit is when it's a masonry or blacksmith mood.  Think of the happy thoughts from a dining room with a 1.6 Mdb statue!  Or how pissed the king would be if some peasant has one in his bedroom.   8)

If a fort could survive long enough to get a king that is, with unkillable stuff running around.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2010, 05:58:25 pm »

The time to use this exploit is when it's a masonry or blacksmith mood.  Think of the happy thoughts from a dining room with a 1.6 Mdb statue!  Or how pissed the king would be if some peasant has one in his bedroom.   8)

Urist McPeasant has exploded with joy!
Urist Mcpesant is dead.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]