Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: Real-world information in the Wiki?  (Read 40599 times)

Ceeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-world information in the Wiki?
« Reply #105 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:19 am »

As long as real-world information is clearly labelled as such then I don't really see why people have a problem with it. It's nice for flavour.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #106 on: April 21, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »

*coughreadthethreadcough*

As a related point, I think all subjects on the wiki that are defined in the raws should have their raw information in their wiki article.
We have a template for that, we're just missing some items.

IF you want to take the time to help out with this, just use {{gamedata|COPYPASTE THE RELEVANT RAWS HERE}} at the bottom of the article.

You might want to put a poll up,on here or on the wiki,so that people can decide one way or the other about this topic.
Personal opinion: real world info should be included.Helps immerse yourself in the game and provides some learning while your at it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consensus_decision-making Consensus is not a poll.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2010, 03:46:23 pm »

Not once did i ever say anything about a consensus.Regardless of what you do,It doesn't affect me,as i rarely go on the wiki.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »

Not once did i ever say anything about a consensus.Regardless of what you do,It doesn't affect me,as i rarely go on the wiki.

Right, but all decisions regarding the wiki are ideally done by consensus.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2010, 04:03:22 pm »

Ahh,did not know that.thanks for clarifying,took what you were saying differently.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2010, 04:04:31 pm »

All good.  The general idea is that we accomodate as many viewpoints as possible.  This, however, requires discussion and compromise.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 21, 2010, 04:25:28 pm »

I would say that the work you did at the bottom of the first page was great.  I would love to have that additional information in the wiki, and I like it labeled as such much better you can quickly get some real world facts about things that are not particularly well known.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 21, 2010, 05:31:20 pm »

I like the blue 'IN THE REAL WORLD:' box template. It would probably look best centered at the bottom of the article.

Zengrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2010, 05:36:17 pm »

Stick to things that can help with understanding of the game, not real life. I really do not care at all about the chemical makeup of different types of rocks, etc. All i want to know in DF is what type of rocks are there in DF, which ones are useful for different applications, etc. and values of said rocks, etc. in DF not real life!

This is a wiki about DF and should therefore have useful information for those who play DF, not for those who are looking to get their degree in geology. I can easily search up the rock names in other wiki's to find out where those rocks are from, what they are like in RL, etc. if i felt like it.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2010, 05:37:15 pm »

I'm not sure too many DFers are interested in rock formations, so much as actual looks.

So, I would suggest just linking some wiki pictures into the df wiki, as I believe visualization is a very large part of the game.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #115 on: April 21, 2010, 05:44:55 pm »

So, I would suggest just linking some wiki pictures into the df wiki, as I believe visualization is a very large part of the game.

I agree with this so long as they're uploaded locally and not leeched.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »

Wikimedia commons actually exposes an api that is free for use for pictures, and we use that.

So, if a file is not uploaded locally, but it exists on the commons, just using that filename like you would normally will show that picture.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »

I'm not sure too many DFers are interested in rock formations, so much as actual looks.

Speak for yourself, I guess. Because of DF, I've actually learned a surprising amount about chemistry, geology, metallurgy, and a bunch of other stuff.

Stick to things that can help with understanding of the game, not real life. I really do not care at all about the chemical makeup of different types of rocks, etc.

Real life information is useful for someone who plays DF. Actually understanding why things in DF are the way they are makes it much easier to remember, and makes the game a lot more interesting. That's my take on it, anyway.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2010, 01:53:31 am »

It seems that rather than in wiki, we could use such flavor tetxs in game itself to be displayed in item details 'v' menu:

"Marble stone.

Marble is a nonmetamorphic rock resulting from the metamorphism of limestone or dolomite. The characteristic swirls and veins of many colored marble varieties are usually due to various mineral impurities.

Marble functions as a Flux which is used to create Pig Iron and Steel.
Marble is moderatelly valuable stone usable for making stone crafts in Craftswdars workshop, Strone Constructions by masons and stone furniture in Masons workshop."

(last two lines generated based on reactions and tags)

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2010, 02:22:29 am »

It seems that rather than in wiki, we could use such flavor tetxs in game itself to be displayed in item details 'v' menu:

"Marble stone.

Marble is a nonmetamorphic rock resulting from the metamorphism of limestone, chalk, or dolomite by undergoing partial melting and recrystallization. The characteristic swirls and veins of many colored marble varieties are usually due to various mineral impurities.

Marble functions as a Flux which is used to create Pig Iron and Steel.
Marble is moderatelly valuable stone usable for making stone crafts in Craftswdars workshop, Strone Constructions by masons and stone furniture in Masons workshop."

(last two lines generated based on reactions and tags)

That's a pretty good idea. (I made some adjustments for accuracy, hope you don't mind.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 02:31:44 am by Justyn »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25