Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: Real-world information in the Wiki?  (Read 40205 times)

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Real-world information in the Wiki?
« on: April 20, 2010, 12:31:42 am »

Last night, I started adding information on rocks and minerals to the pages on the wiki, detailing what exactly the rocks and minerals are and how they form. I took mostly pages that were, with the exception of templates, all but blank. For example: The Malachite page before, and after my additions.

A little bit ago, Albedo, an assistant admin, deleted the additions, in one case simply all but blanking a page rather than let real life information, quote: "muddy up", unquote, the page (his words).

So, my question should be simple: is the wiki better served by having potentially useful and interesting information not directly related to Dwarf Fortress but still on topic to the page, or by having pages that are almost completely blank but having no information not directly related to Dwarf Fortress?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:33:45 am by Justyn »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Real-world information in the Wiki?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 12:33:38 am »

The wiki is for the game itself- it can exist fine without real world info copy and pasted from Wikipedia.   You could even link to the wiki article at the bottom.

Though I pretty much stopped reading the wiki when everyone decided adding stupid jokes to every page was a good way to move forward.

Justyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:08 am »

The wiki is for the game itself- it can exist fine without real world info copy and pasted from Wikipedia.   You could even link to the wiki article at the bottom.

The information wasn't copied from Wikipedia, I wrote it specifically for the pages at hand.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 12:37:24 am »

My apologies, rephrase that as 'information that could otherwise be found on Wikipedia'.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 12:43:07 am »

Wikis already exist for RL information, this one should really just be about how it applies to Dwarf Fortress.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 01:07:14 am »

I'd put a link at the bottom just to let people know that such things are real.  Some things are obvious such as iron, copper, slate, etc., but I never knew 'bauxite' was a real mineral until I clicked the link and it brought me to the bauxite page.
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 01:08:52 am »

Though I pretty much stopped reading the wiki when everyone decided adding stupid jokes to every page was a good way to move forward.

^
This.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 01:10:24 am »

Personally, I don't think it's a bad idea, in principle, but it should only be a very minimal amount, like one or two lines, and clearly set off from the game-relevant content. My reasoning is that (to me at least) it would add some value to the game just to have even the roughest idea what orthoclase or marcasite is. In the game, they're just yellow rock and a white rock, which doesn't go very far to help my visualize my grand hall lined with orthoclase pillars.

Having a link the the "other" Wiki is nice, but I don't think including a capsule description in the article itself would be amiss. It's not like the rock articles are excessively long at present...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:14:27 am by ManaUser »
Akur Akir Akam!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 01:18:14 am »

The real-life information is somewhat topical, since Toady did base some of the mineral properties and spawning locations in reality. It couldn't hurt to have that information in.

I agree with you Justyn. The Wiki should be a repository of game-pertinent information. Just because it can be found at another Wiki doesn't mean it isn't pertinent.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 01:21:10 am »

I do agree that listing real life info on the minerals is not the DF wiki's purpose, but if doesn't bog down the pages with loads of unescessary info, I don't see why it couldn't be added. Three or four lines of real life reference couldn't hurt anybody, I think. That said, if someone is willing to add it in, then hell, let them.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 01:28:49 am »

I think it would be quite nice to have a little snippet of the real-world information on the various minerals.  I've always found that stuff fascinating.

However, it should be kept completely separate from the in-game info, so as to avoid confusion.  If it's in its own little section of the page then I'd be fine with it, but having it in the game-relevant section could lead to some uncertainty.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 01:30:05 am »

The wiki is for empty DF2010 pages and revert wars, not for useful information.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 01:34:06 am »

It's not like the rock articles are excessively long at present...

They don't have to be ...

I mean, goal of wiki is not to have long articles. It is no have comprehensive articles. And for rocks, simple fact sheet is enough. Hell, single row in some table (with sorting!) rather than article seems more than enough.

There are other aditions that wiki articles can use, of course. For example, raw definition for each stone as found in current raws.

Are you refering to Elven quality stuff and fluff?

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 01:40:53 am »

Here are the links of all the stone changes that were made:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:White_chalcedony&direction=prev&oldid=95950 (not good. Not separated by section)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Brimstone&oldid=95927 (good)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Olivine&direction=next&oldid=95902 (good)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Sandstone&oldid=95618 (good)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Quartzite&oldid=95625 (good)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Gypsum&oldid=95622 (good)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Mica&oldid=95582 (good)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php?title=DF2010:Malachite&oldid=95566 (good)

I don't play Revert wars. Instead I decide to trust/not trust a wiki. Here's what I had to say in reply to the edits:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User_talk:Albedo#.22Real_World.22_Flavor_text_in_Stone_Pages

Edit: AND... God forbid Toady ever makes poisonous stones actually poisonous. Remember, he based his stone off of real world information, and toxicity is one bit of real world information that can, plausibly, make it into the game. Just ask the new HFS.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:44:54 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 01:41:06 am »

I know I usually look at the real world uses of whatever materials or rocks....I am picky and try and make walls out of actual wall style stones and stuff
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25