Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Real-world information in the Wiki?  (Read 40192 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Real-world information in the Wiki?
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2010, 11:59:07 pm »

If I want real-world info on something, I go to Wikipedia. If I want info on something in the game, I go to the game's wiki. I want something concise and relvant. ("Cobaltite is a blue stone found in veins and sometimes contains more interesting things, but in game its only real use is for making pretty blue stone works" and such.)

I'm going to the wiki dedicated to the game to learn about things as they apply to the game.

Yes, it's real nifty that in real life cobaltite contains trace amounts of iron and nickel. Can I do anything with cobaltite in-game besides make blue stuff out of it? No? Fine, that's really all I wanted to know. I don't give a shit about it's real world applications, so therefore as far as I'm concerned any extra real-life info about it on the DF wiki is a waste of time, space, and bandwidth.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:20 am »

You seem really angry about this for someone who obviously hasn't even read the counter-arguments to your position (which has been stated repeatedly) yet.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 21, 2010, 12:19:14 am »

For a bunch of people that demand player accesibility, removing the real life properties of these materials from these relatively pointless - and boring articles, is a crying shame.

The DF wiki encourages the player to explore the game. If you tell them how these metals apply to real life it makes it that much more absorbing. Instead if you just offer the blank slate articles, it looks like you just don't give a shit, and prefer making mega structures instead of playing a game.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 21, 2010, 12:26:03 am »

It helps you play the game, too, if you learn what things are what and how they're correlated, in realistic terms, since the game tends to reflect them.

Here is an example of the template in use. Personally, I think it worked better when it was on the bottom, centered, and less wide than the body text, especially since it makes the body text too cramped like this (and messes up formatting when you "show" it), but the concept is good.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2010, 12:36:12 am »

Someone doesn't know how to click the clearly marked buttons to view old versions of the articles

There are no clearly marked buttons, by the way.

"Clearly marked" in this case, should ideally mean something atleast as clearly marked as the previously mentioned statement that "certain portions of the wiki are missing or empty."

Not saying I'm not atleast partially responsible for not thinking to look at the Archives, but it still could have been made a lot more obvious.

It can be solved easily enough, which I'll probably do myself after work, but it's not entirely a case of people simply failing to pay attention.
For they would be your masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2010, 12:39:40 am »

Archives? Huh? Did you miss the big green box on top of the article with the version numbers in it?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2010, 12:42:11 am »

Archives? Huh? Did you miss the big green box on top of the article with the version numbers in it?

G-Flex: I'm not sure what you're referring to. I'm talking about the DF Wiki main page.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:20 am »

Yeah, but you can easily get to the old wiki from any article on the new one. I guess putting the version template on the main page makes sense too, but it's not exactly that serious an annoyance.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2010, 12:45:50 am »

Maybe not to you, but it's been a major PITA to me.  :P

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2010, 12:50:47 am »

G-Flex: I'm not sure what you're referring to. I'm talking about the DF Wiki main page.

Archives:   v0.23.130.23a Wiki(archive.org snapshot), v0.28.181.40d Wiki

that's at the bottom of the main page.  Perhaps the placement is bad, but that's where archive links have been since the v0.23.130.23a Wiki was archived.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2010, 01:04:04 am »

That's fine, Locriani, and there's nothing wrong with the placement. All that's needed is something to point people to them.

And I think that was the problem--they've been there, as you say "since the v0.23.130.23a Wiki was archived.", which means that a lot of people haven't really looked there...since the v0.23.130.23a Wiki was archived.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2010, 01:06:00 am »

Oh, I agree.  The 2D wiki was archived as well long before I came along and started playing DF, much less started hosting the wiki - it just happened to be where the link was, so we used it for the 40d archive. 
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2010, 01:18:59 am »

You can think of me as a blind oblivious idiot that needs to be led around by the nose if you want. Maybe you already have  ;D and maybe you should, because that's part of traffic the Wiki is going to attract. It's probably the closest thing Dwarf Fortress really has to a game manual, outside of the in-game help (unless I missed the manual, too???), and it's one of the first places people who are completely new to Dwarf Fortress are going to stop*. In a lot of cases, before they ever approach the Forums.

*Right after Boatmurdered.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 01:20:54 am by SirHoneyBadger »

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2010, 02:42:53 am »

One of my primary goals (I won't deign to speak for every other editor) is to simplify the wiki's navigation and content flows so users can find the content they're looking for, and find it quickly.  So, all of these suggestions are very useful, in my opinion.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2010, 03:08:01 am »

That's one reason I'm trying to bug VengefulDonut about getting the mineral/gem inclusions back into the stone pages. Those were pretty damn useful!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25