Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Make the melting bug your friend (until next version)  (Read 99629 times)

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
Make the melting bug your friend (until next version)
« on: April 20, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »

This diagram shows how you can use the melting bug to your advantage in .03. Invaders (even flying ones) will have to path through this tunnel, entering into the 4/7 water, which gets them wet, and then walk through the magma-heated corridor until they melt and bleed to death.

How do you stop your dwarves from going through here? Put a door somewhere and forbid it when you're not being invaded. And when you are being invaded, raise the drawbridges that provide entry into the rest of your fort.

It won't stop magma-proof megabeasts, but any goblins you encounter will be roasted alive as they are forced to path through this tunnel of doom. It will however stop Giant Eagles and other flying baddies.

There is no reset, and as long as your dwarves don't get wet, it will be perfectly safe to go and pick up the equipment afterwards.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 04:17:28 pm by DarthCloakedDwarf »
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make the melting bug your friend (until next version)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 04:09:05 pm »

Brilliant!

Now even more FUN to have with magma.  ;D

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 04:29:20 pm »

Now with 250% more magma! Guaranteed 250% more effective!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 04:33:40 pm »

Have the pool be the short entrance to your fortress. Traffic zone it as restricted so no dwarves will walk through it. Then have the long path to the outside of the map. Invaders, merchants and yes even pets will ignore traffic zones, and so they will always take the shortcut through the water. And then they will melt afterwards.

As no dwarves will get wet in the water there they will never be harmed by the magma heating, and so you can loot the corpses in complete safety.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 04:43:56 pm »

Have the pool be the short entrance to your fortress. Traffic zone it as restricted so no dwarves will walk through it. Then have the long path to the outside of the map. Invaders, merchants and yes even pets will ignore traffic zones, and so they will always take the shortcut through the water. And then they will melt afterwards.

As no dwarves will get wet in the water there they will never be harmed by the magma heating, and so you can loot the corpses in complete safety.
The problem with that, of course, is that your merchants would die. Also, your liaison. And it wouldn't get immigrants.

I propose that a magma-safe door be built between the pool and the magma, which is always forbidden and securely locked under normal circumstances. But first siege that shows up, or first immigrant wave or unwanted wild animal, you can raise the drawbridges that are your other entrances, and unforbid that door. Restricting the traffic area might be wise though.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 04:50:59 pm »

The problem with that, of course, is that your merchants would die. Also, your liaison. And it wouldn't get immigrants.

You say that like thats a bad thing...   ???

I propose that a magma-safe door be built between the pool and the magma, which is always forbidden and securely locked under normal circumstances. But first siege that shows up, or first immigrant wave or unwanted wild animal, you can raise the drawbridges that are your other entrances, and unforbid that door. Restricting the traffic area might be wise though.

A door would be good. Just lock/unlock the door to allow or disallow access to the area. Thieves making it unlockable could be a problem, so you can just use a standard lever and bridge setup to block it off.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 04:54:14 pm »

A door would be good. Just lock/unlock the door to allow or disallow access to the area. Thieves making it unlockable could be a problem, so you can just use a standard lever and bridge setup to block it off.
Does it really matter if thieves can get in through the door? XD

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 05:20:57 pm »

Great idea! Anyone tested it out yet?

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 06:02:11 pm »

Great idea! Anyone tested it out yet?
I'm afraid I haven't, due to general paranoia regarding all things magma. That said, I'm fairly certain the theory behind this project is sound.

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 06:05:41 pm »

Not a bad idea. Course, it doesn't quite live up to mine, either.

*Drumroll*

Urist McDurden's Liposuction Clinic and Soap Factory!
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 06:24:25 pm »

I just realized this idea could be used to get rid of catsplosion, if you micromanage the door. Put a vermin remains stockpile on the magma end, and make it a dead-end.

Just make sure to not let your dwarves in there.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:25:56 pm »

This is awesome. I would suggest using the one-way ramp exploit as well (http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:One-way) and having easy accessways into your fort that pass through this trap and then up the one-way ramp. Dwarves might still want to go through if they travel too far and want to turn around, though. I'm sure someone can improve upon this further.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:26:46 pm »

I just realized this idea could be used to get rid of catsplosion, if you micromanage the door. Put a vermin remains stockpile on the magma end, and make it a dead-end.

Just make sure to not let your dwarves in there.

Yup, pets ignore traffic zoning, which means if you make the short path be the death trap but zone it restricted, pets, merchants, and invaders will happily wander through the death trap, but your dwarves will take the long way around it.

Just so long as the dwarfs don't get wet they'll be fine. Keep them out of the pool and the magma will not harm them, so all you have to do is zone the pool to be restricted. The magma warmed floors are safe to dry dwarves.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:34:50 pm »

omg this is awesome. possibly the most efficient fortress defense mechanism ever. good job.

but it's efficient therefor I'm not going to use it. Next time make it so that while entering the fort, 3/7 of water gets poured on their heads from a cystern above with some retracting bridges. then make them walk over another retracting bridge that is suspended over a pit of magma. Then watch as each one turns into a puff of smoke right before hitting the magma.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 06:50:17 pm »

So, if you make this a burrow with noone assigned, would it mean that your dwarves won't go in there?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6