Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Temperature Modding... (trying to freeze water) Help  (Read 1431 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Temperature Modding... (trying to freeze water) Help
« on: April 20, 2010, 05:37:17 pm »

Well I wasn't too sure where to post this and I couldn't find that "little questions" thread, but it didn't quite seem appropriate anyways...

Is it possible to mod a mineral, say like a clay loam wall and have it freeze water on touch and then later re-mod the wall to melt the ice or burst things into flames that come into contact with it?

I'm asking cause I would like to do some slight changes to an aquifer, but I don't have the tools or exact know how to mess with aquifers... effectively.

-edit-

I tried that the mat set temp thing and it didn't seem to boil or freeze water. But I may of done it wrong.

-edit-

I tried with the creature edit and changing the homeotherm, but it appears to be doing nothing, I went from 10067 to 5067.

Yes, I edited the save file too.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:52:45 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature Modding... (aquifer work at the moment)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 06:34:46 pm »

I've never heard of people abusing stone temperatures so I would think no. Messing around with boiling point or something made it possible to produce a lot of fires or something but what people did previously was set the homeotherm value on living things. You could have creatures that handily melted any ice for several tiles and I am pretty sure people made a few that would freeze water.

If that still works you would have to be a bit more careful now because dwarves can have their fat and such melt at very high temp now. Perhaps chaining up your cat right on the edge of the water and then modding it down to freezing might work and let your dwarves avoid any low temp issues that may exist.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Temperature Modding... (aquifer work at the moment)
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 07:22:58 pm »

So I just mod the homeotherm then?

I guess I'll have to play around with it... what if I set the dwarf homeotherm really low? Is there a too low?

This leads me to another question... how long does water take to freeze? Does it have a real high spec heat?

-edit-

the creature edit did nothing that i could see. yes temperature is on.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 07:53:20 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Temperature Modding... (trying to freeze water) Help
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:46:22 pm »

Wellllllllllllllll I just had the most hilarious happening... setting their homeotherm to 5067 causes them to freeze instantaneously upon embark... anywhere.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:03:34 pm »

Ya...
I am vaguely remembering how this works. I think fixedtemp is what you want to use actually. I think you could find how that one gets used in the magmaman raw. Just check if they still use homeotherm with it.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:05:55 pm »

Yeah, I guess I'll give them a look. Trying to go for freezing temps though, so hopefully I don't run into too many problems.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 09:18:04 pm »

Well if you can use the embark anywhere thing you could probably work out the number that just barely freezes water easily enough whether your guys live through it or not.

Then you can just chain up a cat next to the water, save, go into the save and edit cats there, and then come back for some solid water.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 02:17:33 am »

So I take it you have to regen for changing homeotherm and set_heat........

Well through what I've tested... I've had no luck... well no good luck...

I made two separate beasts.. one ice and one fire...

they both worked great! however.. upon embark they immediately set EVERYTHING in the near vacinity (including dwarfs) on fire. (the ice guys didn't really do anything that I noticed...)

when i was finally able to some how manage to not get my dwarfs to die in the first couple seconds of embark... i made my way down to the aquifer...

The fire guys worked! they made tons of steam and if it were a little more controlled, i might've been able to do what I wanted... maybe... one of the ice ones showed up, encased 4 of the remaining 4 in ice as soon as it stepped onto their level and then the ice one got swept away and plummeted to its death. where it proceeded to create a ring of ice right around it's corpse. (fell in a major river)

the fire one kept steaming away and then some how out of no where, my last dwarf bled to death.

even taking the procaution of adding fireimmune and colddam point to try to counter possible effects... a lot of death was had on my part.

I guess I may have to mod out aquifers to really accomplish what I want.. but I'd really like to keep that aquifer.

Unless someone knows of a way to hack tiles, i think i am done tempting death and dieing...
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 02:52:49 am by Shaostoul »

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:11:06 am »

I'm a little bit intrigued by this to be honest.

I believe that if you make your dwarves fire immune then use those creatures to light some coal on fire in a metal bin you should be able to just toss it in the water and the heat of the box will boil all water around it.

Goodbye aquifier/lake/ocean.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:57:28 pm »

Well it hasn't worked as planned.

I couldn't make dwarfs revert to their normal selves.

Upon embarking with the creatures I made (of fire and ice) although they worked, the fire one set flame to all surrounding grass, the ice one worked great! however it had a tendancy of freezing my dwarfs in water.

I couldn't seem to safely work with the fire one....

Also I could get the temperatures to adjust after the genned world, but oh well.

If anyone has had luck with anything similar let me know? I really don't want to get rid of the aquifers.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 06:34:00 pm »

Alright, so by looking at fire imps I think the temperature safety code is this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now you might be able to just set dwarven homeotherm low enough that they boil away the water with plenty of space to construct walls blocking it.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:35:07 pm »

Well it hasn't worked as planned.

I couldn't make dwarfs revert to their normal selves.

Upon embarking with the creatures I made (of fire and ice) although they worked, the fire one set flame to all surrounding grass, the ice one worked great! however it had a tendancy of freezing my dwarfs in water.

I couldn't seem to safely work with the fire one....

Also I could get the temperatures to adjust after the genned world, but oh well.

If anyone has had luck with anything similar let me know? I really don't want to get rid of the aquifers.
did you check the copy of the raw stuff that is int he save folder?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:40:59 pm »

Yeah, I've been really careful to make sure if I re-use a save and change settings that I do it both in the Save and Normal Raw. I normally just regen. Just in case.

Shoku what do you mean lower the homeotherm? ... wait... homeotherm is how fast it transfers heat?

Can I add/remove the set_temp or adjust the homeotherm without having to regen? Seems that's what I had to do, but I have like zero experience with modding creatures.

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »

homeotherm is, for lack of a ready description, the base or natural temperature the creature of substance exists at.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 07:59:16 pm »

So they try to have that temperature. The environment around them pushes them toward its temperature. I don't know if you balance between the two or if external temperatures just affect the skin or what.

Used to be homeotherm was, I think, also the value that determined damage from temperature but now there are tissue types instead. Evidently fat melts first but aside from that the next heat effect you are likely to see is actual burning.

The dam_point values are the new ones that are equivalent to burning. Melting and boiling tags are like a temperature that cuts that part of the body off. Multiply value refers to the actual dwarfbuck value so it is irrelevant.
Pages: [1] 2