Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why do you need to modify RAW's when only modifiying grahics?  (Read 2448 times)

anisdrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I'm trying to make my own graphics for dwarves, but there are something that I don't understand: why all the graphics sets like phoebus, mayday, etc... include modified raw's?

Why do you need to modify raw's?
Is not enough to add the graphics .txt files pointing to your graphic pictures?

So far I'm using phoebus or mayday's sets and modifying the .png files to include my dwarves but I would like to know how I can do my own set.

thanks,

anisdrin
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 06:48:36 am by anisdrin »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you need to modify RAW's when only modifiying grahics?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:55:19 am »

Technically, it is enough to make graphics .txt files point to your specific raw creatures to make them use that specific tile.

Graphics mods bring with them the raws to maintain consistency. Be aware that you will need to add a new entry to the graphics .txt file in order to give your new, modded creatures graphics.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:50:41 am »

Most graphics sets include modified raws so that they can customize the graphics for minerals, plants, and vermin, none of which have any graphics set support.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:50 am »

Most graphics sets include modified raws so that they can customize the graphics for minerals, plants, and vermin, none of which have any graphics set support.

They often do things like rewrite the languages to remove accented letters, as some of the tiles in vanilla are ONLY used for accented letters in text. This frees up the tiles for being repurposed as Quietust mentions. See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Tilesets . Also try running Mayday graphics using vanilla raws - you will get ores and plants in the middle of the text.

EDIT: A purely creature graphics set would not need modified raws.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:45 am »

Mostly because there is a large difference between creature sprites and tilesets. If you want to make new dwarf graphics, you only need to alter the picture. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

anisdrin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:53:38 am »

Thanks for your help.

As I understood if I only want to make creature sprites then I need to make the graphic files and the graphics.txt that point at the picture.