Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whip Nerf  (Read 2748 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Whip Nerf
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:25:48 pm »

Has anyone tried nerfing the whip yet?  I did a brief search, here and on the wiki, but nothing.

If not here.  If so, here.  So far, I've tried to reduce the velocity multiplier.  In a 50 on 50 fight of untrained humans in iron, whips/shields roughly matched short swords/shield.  So while I'm sure I'm not done, as short swords =/= whips, but its a good start.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHIP]
[NAME:whip:whips]
[SIZE:100]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:22500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1:10:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:500]

First, a test of the arrowfix given by others . . . here.

Then, the whip
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SS won out over the -x10 whips, btw, by 8 humans.  So Ill just drop this off and see what flys.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
Re: Whip Nerf
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:19 pm »

Modest mod (and everything that lifts the bugfixes from modest mod) nerfs the whip pretty effectively.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »

opps.  Well, making a blunt whip didn't do as much and to be frank the injuries resulting from it weren't as consistent with the idea of a whip.  But I got it nerfed.

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_WHIP]
[NAME:whip:whips]
[SIZE:100]
[SKILL:WHIP]
[TWO_HANDED:27500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:22500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:1]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:800:20:lash:lashes:NO_SUB:5000]

Thank ya sir.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Slidey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 08:48:52 pm »

Lots of people have nerfed whips and scourges. Mostly via changing things like its penetration, sizes, speeds, contact area etc. The consensus seems to be the pain effects while overpowered, are not the real problem. That its the lethality. Pretty much i wont play without it modded myself. Theres whole testing/mods on them.

Hopefully one day the penetration wont act like a spear with lashes, whips, scourges ;)

TheDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 05:30:33 pm »

Personally, I removed the ability to create metal whips for all races, modified them to only hurt a bit, added the ability to craft leather whips, and now their only purpose is punishing criminals. Perfect for me, seeing as I disliked whips being used in combat in the first place.
I love this community. Somebody asks "hay guise how do i tame shark", and then everybody is like "why don't we fling sharks at things with complex mechanical devices?".