Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Quickfort utility - ChromaFort  (Read 87338 times)

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quickfort utility - ChromaFort
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:21:30 pm »

Current release: 4/25

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2182 (UPDATED, check it out)

If you've used Quickfort, you've probably been frustrated by the relative inaccessibility of creating a blueprint in something like Excel. It isn't particularly descriptive, visually, and long strings can overlap adjacent cells and make things generally hard to work with.

Chromafort allows you to open 24-bit bitmap (.bmp) images like this one:

and convert it into a comma delimited (.csv) text file like this one (seen in Excel):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

which can then be run with Quickfort to get designations like these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

if anyone has any problems, let me know either here or over on the DFFD (which has a better description anyway, also included as the readme)

presumably, this would be useful for LinDesignator as well, though I have never used that.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 03:02:28 pm by runrobotrun »
Quickfort utility, Chromafort

runrobotrun 8x8 tileset (early WIP)

soundtrack to your regicide, the Dwarven Mixtape

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Quickfort utility - ChromaFort
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:22:39 pm »

Although I've never used Quickfort etc., this seems nifty. Thanks.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

Can anyone verify that it works for them?

I have only tested it on a few computers, and I'd like to know if anyone is having issues.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:10:06 pm »

Finally Quickfort has become useful for me, thanks a lot. Works without any problems here.

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 04:00:11 pm »

Finally Quickfort has become useful for me, thanks a lot. Works without any problems here.

Glad I could help!  :)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 04:02:08 pm »

Haha, I was working on something almost exactly like this a while ago. Hilarious. It didn't have quite the same functionality, but it was going to; I discontinued it before adding those features because nobody really seemed to want it, plus I think other utilities have been released since then (although I don't know what off the top of my head).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 04:07:55 pm »

Haha, I was working on something almost exactly like this a while ago. Hilarious. It didn't have quite the same functionality, but it was going to; I discontinued it before adding those features because nobody really seemed to want it, plus I think other utilities have been released since then (although I don't know what off the top of my head).

I hope this isn't a redundant release; I only kind of vaguely checked to see if something like this existed.

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 04:28:25 pm »

I have never seen another utility like this aside from the base quickfort utility. This also looks really nice! ill post again once i know it works and tell you how awesome it is =]

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »

I have never seen another utility like this aside from the base quickfort utility. This also looks really nice! ill post again once i know it works and tell you how awesome it is =]

Thanks! But this is not a stand-alone utility that does what QF does. You still need to download QF.

ronnyfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 04:50:37 pm »

Yes yes, i had actually taken note of that in my head when i went to download this.. then forgot to do so xD

Edit:
Hmmm, upon trying to run the .jar file, it opens a little black window for about half a second, then closes. I have the latest version of java, any ideas?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:56:16 pm by ronnyfire »

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

Just because I bugged the hell out of you at IRC. But it is a very useful tool for drawing complex patterns :)
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 07:49:20 pm »

Yes yes, i had actually taken note of that in my head when i went to download this.. then forgot to do so xD

Edit:
Hmmm, upon trying to run the .jar file, it opens a little black window for about half a second, then closes. I have the latest version of java, any ideas?

I can't imagine why that would happen (which I was afraid of), but I've updated the DFFD page with a new zip that now includes an EXE version. I mean, QF seems to be PC only anyway, so compatibility isn't much of an issue meaning a jar is kind of worthless I suppose. I left the jar in anyway, though, just in case.

EDIT: removed the exe as of 4/22, working on it
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 08:31:26 am by runrobotrun »

runrobotrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 07:50:17 pm »

ack sorry double post

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 08:17:40 pm »

This isn't really redundant considering what I made, no. All mine did was generate the CSV files through a command-line interface, and the values in the cells were just the color codes, so you had to do your own search-and-replace afterwards. It did handle the ending # characters and headers, though, to the best of my ability. I think.

I was going to give it more functionality, but then I didn't really feel like it anymore.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »

I linked this topic in the Weekly Wambler thread in DF General Discussion.  Hope you don't mind.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.
Pages: [1] 2 3