Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Omg all that work!  (Read 1333 times)

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Omg all that work!
« on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:37 pm »

So I was just starting to get my fort up and running, when a bunch of goblins arrive and brutally murder them all...
I can't seem to get a functional military :(.
Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!
Urist McManager: Aye, but he ain't 16 yet. So he hauls stuff

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Re: Omg all that work!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:43 pm »

If you want help please explain what you have done. ;)
Also, that way, I know what I should not do in my fortress  ;D

Sorry for your loss trought  :(
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:28:29 pm »

Well, I guess my first problem was, I completely ignored making a military... But that is mainly cause I can't make heads or tails of the military screens.
Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:59 pm »

I have the same problem - the military screens just aren't making themselves clear to me. If anyone is thinking of doing some sort of tutorial, I'd be grateful.

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:34:50 pm »

As would I, I might even name a dwarf(the leader of the military) after you!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 07:46:54 pm »

I got through the military much like how I learned dwarf fortress, trial and error
what I would suggest is to line your entrance with cage traps, the most effective trap, and take your time building a military, but when you've captured a good amount of goblins, use them as training for your squads, rather then sparring
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:31 pm »

We can still reclaim right? I haven't tried yet.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 09:09:51 pm »

We can still reclaim right? I haven't tried yet.

Indeed.

Spent more than a year cleaning up my reclaimed fortress after the previous 75 were slaughtered :/

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 01:42:27 am »

I rarely bother to start building a military until after the first attack, unless I embarked somewhere horrible (in which case I tend to dig a hole and seal myself in for the first year or two).

However, I do try to make sure that the entrance to my fortress is fairly impregnable. It's pretty easy to set up an internal pit with bridge across it that can be raised to make the direct entrance inaccessible, then add a narrow 'murder corridor' with a similar pit/bridge lock and a zig zag alleyway filled with whatever traps amuse you (I prefer large circular saws personally).

This is generally more than sufficient to murder an ambush worth of goblins, if not an entire siege depending on how elaborate your trap corridor is. You may lose a fisherman or woodcutter before they can retreat of course.

The most important parts though are to make sure your bridge levers are somewhere where a dwarf in the fortress can reach them quickly, and you definitely want to tie a dog or two in your entrance way to guarantee that stealthy goblins are detected before they actually make it inside - if that happens you are generally screwed.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 08:39:35 am »

Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 08:50:53 am »

I'd suggest having a fort with [INVADERS:OFF] set in init.txt. That way, you can practice using the military after you've setup your fort, without a timer on your head.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.