Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: floods & objects  (Read 1741 times)

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
floods & objects
« on: September 05, 2006, 05:01:00 pm »

is it my imagination or does cave river floods push objects away from the river?

i was actually hoping that water from the outside river via a channel would achieve similar thing... you see, when building my farm, the builders cleared the stones.. and left them right at the door/floodgate.. which is very useful.. only 10-20 stones at each spot.

except the water didn't push the stones away from the door.. pity.. and you can see the water running around in circles after the outside gate is shut (sort of) because the doorway/floodgates are jammed open (the wave stopped after a while)

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: floods & objects
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:36:00 pm »

There is definately some pushing of materials from river flooding, although I'm not sure how much, or what exactly defines how much an object gets pushed. I tend to avoid using channels, so I don't know about other floods.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 10:48:00 pm »

I do it like this : after flooding a farm area - delete the door, and build a farm plot that covers that spot the door was on. Then delete that whole plot and build the plot you intended in the first place. Then put the door back. Its much faster than hoping some smart dwarf will move all those rocks from the tight spot.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 05:49:00 am »

The stones aren't that much of a bother, just uninstall the door, and then reinstall it.

[ September 06, 2006: Message edited by: Slartibartfast ]

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »

yes.. i suppose there's that. still leaves the floodgates, heh...

which isn't too much of a problem as long as i'm not trying to flood anything else down the chain

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

River floodings push objects. Floodgate floodings don't.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 03:44:00 pm »

quote:
The stones aren't that much of a bother, just uninstall the door, and then reinstall it.

That is only valid if there is no stone stockpile, otherwise the door building will be suspended, thus leaving stones to lay there.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 01:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>
That is only valid if there is no stone stockpile, otherwise the door building will be suspended, thus leaving stones to lay there.</STRONG>

I'm not sure about that, move of the time the dwarves just move the rocks that get in their way.

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Shador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 02:15:00 pm »

The corridors that lead to my farms are four squares long. Door, channel, door, and an empty space to pile rocks on.

Blackcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 02:43:00 pm »

The Sneaky Farm Clearance Method:

When items are placed onto a stockpile, dwarves choose the newest item first. To effectively clear your farm area in no time flat, follow this plan:

1) Don't dig anything after digging out your farm area until you've finished following this plan. If you need a room dug right now, dig it before the farm.

2) Once the farm area has been dug out, don't dig any more.

3) Find a nearby area (a 1-wide corridor works just fine, cave river banks, anywhere, you get the idea) and allocate a mining stockpile with enough empty space to hold all the stone, ore and gems in the farm area.

4) Wait until everything is out of the farm room. Any and all dwarves with the appropriate hauling enabled will move the stuff.

5) Unallocate the stockpile, build a farm, continue digging as needed.

sawtooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 10:55:00 pm »

I like to have the farmer cleare the field alone, then you don't have to depend on anyone else to get the task done.  First, turn off stone hauling before digging the farm room.  Next, Dig the room.  Then, when creating your farm plot, designate all but the top/bottom/left or right side as a farm (to leave room for the rocks).  Since tasking is off the farmer will be able to access and move all the rocks.  Then, create a plot on the part the stones got moved to and they'll get moved back to the first plot but it seems to still work as a farm as far as I've been able to tell.  Feel fre to turn on stone hauling afterwards and they can haul off the stones while you get planting.  This also works for when you're digging out workshop space so you don't have to wait for haulers to get building.

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 03:49:00 am »

Okay, today i discovered that the annual flooding of the river can actually kill your dwarves.

Nile farming suddenly doesnt look as good as i thought.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 05:55:00 am »

can use the nile for shrubs & trees

ctrlfrk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 07:02:00 am »

Yeah... that was the idea.. but whenever it floods all my dwarves get owned >_<
I need a "Run away from the river!" command under
  • :P
    or maybe "Dwarves stay outside"...
    anything to get them away from the water.

Oh and playing on desert maps (with no trees) is HARD. ive had to last 2 winters with only the 6 wood i got from my caravans

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 11:11:00 am »

nevermind run away from river.. a run away from big bad animal would do nicely