Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: building in 1 space tunnels  (Read 1307 times)

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
building in 1 space tunnels
« on: April 24, 2010, 10:20:19 am »

just a quick question, if i want to build a floodgate/wall in a 1 width tunnel how do i make my dwarf build it from the right side, it seems every single time he wants to build it from the left/wrong side getting himself stuck, i know i could lower the floodgate, but what about walls?

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: building in 1 space tunnels
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:22:10 am »

Place a wall one tile to the left of where you want the floodgate, then suspend the construction of the wall.
Now the floodgate will be built from the right, since the dwarf building it does not want to stand on a construction in progress.
When it's done, simply cancel the construction of the wall and you're done!
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:23:02 am »

thank you ^_^

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:24:21 am »

I would do what the above poster says for a wall, but a handy trick for floodgates that aren't in danger of building destroyers is to use doors instead- build them, the dwarf runs off, lock and link to a lever.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:24:46 am »

I never knew you could use suspended walls in that way. That'll definitely save time and effort.

zeke47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:29:38 am »

its also awesome that you can use doors, i never knew they could be linked to levers :D

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:53:32 am »

And they respond instantly to a lever pull if I recall, unlike floodgates.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:25:22 am »

No, there is still a bit of a delay, just less. Also, I think doors can get jammed open via debris and stuff, where as floodgates will always close.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:25:06 pm »

Doors have a negligible delay between the signal and acting on that signal.  Also, both doors and floodgates will get stuck open - drawbridges are the ones that don't get stuck, instead destroying whatever was in the way.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring