Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 83116 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --new general ideas post--
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2010, 07:10:21 pm »

I'm guessing picked color is what made the difference.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: July 15, 2010, 07:15:13 pm »

I'm guessing picked color is what made the difference.
Don't feather trees yield white wood? It lacks a picked color token.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #392 on: July 15, 2010, 07:16:33 pm »

@Patchouli, I have no idea... I haven't done plant or creature modding since 40D, so ya...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:18 pm »

Yeah, I think it was the special material I tried to use. Better to just put the values in directly in this case. Apparently the game has special rules for WOOD that aren't based on the [WOOD] tag in the materials property section. Odd. The logs even showed up as 'Silverwood Plant Logs'. So doing anything with wood pretty much requires that you stick with the stock wood material specification.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #394 on: July 15, 2010, 10:45:59 pm »

Well, some times it is easier to just keep things simple.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: July 19, 2010, 10:17:07 am »

I found the following tags while browsing BC's raws - [ITEMCORPSE:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BRONZE] and [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:5]. From what I know it's what implies the corpse is a masterwork bronze statue, but can't the [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY] tag be exploited by some kind of random creature, eg. wolf? For example, kill wolf, instead of wolf corpse - recieve [item], where [item] can be virtually anything with virtually any quality you want. Or maybe even...vermin? But is it possible to kill vermin?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #396 on: July 19, 2010, 01:47:35 pm »

I would assume it's possible to kill vermin. In fortress mode, I'm thinking no.

I wonder if .10 allows for reactions using [ITEMCORPSE:STATUE:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:BRONZE] ... I'll have to play with that later.

I would assume you could make any creatures corpse be different using that line o code.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: July 19, 2010, 01:48:15 pm »

Cats kill vermin, don't they? So, would you have cats running around delivering *Adamantine Long Sword*s to their owners?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #398 on: July 19, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »

Well, cats hunt and 'eat' vermin. Without adding additional tags to dwarfs, like VERMINHUNTER, I don't think dwarfs can attack vermin. Unless someone can prove differently.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:18 pm »

What about when you run out of food?  Dwarves will search for vermin to eat if they have run out of food.  Although, I guess they don't "hunt" for vermin like cats do.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #400 on: July 19, 2010, 01:54:16 pm »

Vermin are very... different. Handled a lot differently.

Nova72

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: July 21, 2010, 09:26:40 am »

I have been toying around with the concept of modding my game such that dwarves will be able to carry multiple items.  The only problem with this is I wanted to do it based upon weight/size.  Basically, a dwarf will be able to carry 5 rings, 2 swords or one stone.  This however turned out to be a bit too complicated because that doesn't seem to be something that is in the raws.  I then thought to make a wagon a buildable/creatable entity and modify it so that my dwarfs can use it.

I looked for wagon in the raws and I found it too.  It turns out it is a creature, made of wood?  Aaaaand this is where I am stuck.  I don't know if it is possible with the game in it's current state to add the ability for dwarves to use wagons to move quantities of stuff around.  Given that you could probably add the wagon itself to a fortress the only question would be loading and unloading/controlling the thing.

Any thoughts on how to proceed or will this flat out not work?

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: July 21, 2010, 02:13:58 pm »

Only merchants can use wagons. It will not work, sorry. Right now the hardcode needed to support this is not in place. You can't do it.
But "carts" have a special place in the dev notes, apparently. So eventually (eventually!) the game will have this added in.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: July 21, 2010, 04:42:12 pm »

Just wanted to run this by you to see if I'm on the correct path. I've been doing more thinking than trying to make this work, as I don't want to screw up my DF.

Provided that I make a custom workshop named Lab, would this be close to what I'd need to do?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If I'm even close, I'm happy. If not, could someone please point me in the right direction?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #404 on: August 29, 2010, 05:41:19 pm »

I've noticed a lot of repeat questions going on. So I'm bumping my thread. If you see a question that is not on here or incomplete. Feel free to write out the question and answer and I will include it.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29