Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 82886 times)

Vraccas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --your chance--
« Reply #405 on: December 21, 2010, 03:41:18 pm »

*bump* such important thread shouldnt be on page 37  :'(
It helped me allot and I'm sure it'll help other people to!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 21, 2010, 03:43:21 pm »

Its on the wiki, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vraccas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 21, 2010, 03:46:41 pm »

Its on the wiki, though.

yup, true, but the layout seems more understanding here in the forum (and I usually lurk the forum more then the wiki, so Iguess there will be other people like me :p)

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 22, 2010, 12:51:19 pm »

What happened? Why is this thread so dead?

Starmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 22, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »

Ack sorry posted on wrong thread!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 11:53:10 am by Starmantis »

ToaHero92

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 19, 2011, 03:28:28 pm »

I have updated the wiki entry to include some body modifications. also a deserving bump for an under appreciated article.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --Poll added--
« Reply #411 on: May 15, 2011, 07:50:47 pm »

I kind of don't like being limited to having to include certain items/materials.
Then rename, recolour etc the item you can't remove EDIT: d'oh I read that post date as may 14th this year *face palm*
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 07:56:38 pm by Reelyanoob »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #412 on: July 23, 2011, 11:32:34 pm »

Hey guys, so I'm beginning my rejoining the world of Dwarf Fortress! I'm surprised to see my stuff is still mentioned after so long!

-edit-

So I've got the latest vanilla version, foreman/therapist (is one better than the other now?), Runesmith and dfhack... Am I missing any necessary stuff? :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:40:42 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Eldrick Tobin

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_UNDWARFY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: July 24, 2011, 03:27:58 am »

Hey guys, so I'm beginning my rejoining the world of Dwarf Fortress! I'm surprised to see my stuff is still mentioned after so long!

-edit-

So I've got the latest vanilla version, foreman/therapist (is one better than the other now?), Runesmith and dfhack... Am I missing any necessary stuff? :P

Soon you will once again be missing time as DF sucks it away from you. Welcome Back. Your work is LEGENDARY.
--
Eldrick Tobin
Behold the unimpressive Aspectus Lolin mod. || My Little Arachnid Fortress attempt...
I mumble to myself on tumblr... Sometimes about DF Modding.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #414 on: July 24, 2011, 02:00:41 pm »

The lost time is totally worth it when playing this game.

When I get into the game again, I'll reupdate my work and tackle some of the stuff I skipped away from. Probably work on a noobie guide for making a monster first.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Hien Arashi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 23, 2011, 11:00:17 am »

Shaostoul, I realize that you don't keep this as active as you used to however, I'm wondering if it's possible to modify things like the manager-layout and what it can do, or is that impossible for us "non-devs"?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #416 on: April 10, 2012, 01:47:32 am »

Hey guys, I'm starting up a live stream of Dwarf Fortress! I'm getting back into Dwarf Fortress so I'll make mistakes! However if you feel like chipping in go to www.livestream.com/shaostoul

Also I have a skype call going so we could chat via voice.

It's up right now!

--edit--

There is about a 10 second display and there is presently me and two others!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:04:43 am by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #417 on: April 10, 2012, 03:21:13 am »

Okay, so things are being rather entertaining! Even if it isn't Dwarf Fortress related!

Big shout out to Yogscast for me without-permission borrowing their diggy-diggy hole song!

Digging of the fortress is going well enough. We're up to 4 viewers.

---edit---

As a side note, this is the beginning to me relearning the game as it is now. I'll begin work on my modding guide as I learn more and am more confident at updating my guide as I progress. So, you can count me back, but my knowledge on new content is mildly lacking.

---edit---

The live-stream has for now been stopped. Thanks for everyone that decided to say hi!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:14:45 am by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #418 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:38 pm »

Alright, so I've been reviewing the raws and it'd appear not 'too' much has changed, but I'm going to keep messing with them and see what I get.

Also, I'm starting up the live-stream again of the fortress in a few minutes, if anyone is interested in joining in, go to www.livestream.com/shaostoul
There is also skype, so if you wanted to join in on voice conversation you could, I'm not going to post the skype information until enough people just keep asking.

The first video is going to under-go heavy editing and then be uploaded to my livestream and youtube account and my buddies youtube account so hopefully I can attract more viewers.

All I ask if you join in on the voice conversation through skype, that you don't bring too much drama. If you're being rude, you'll likely be banned, as I don't really want to have that kind of stuff associated with my channel. Thank you!

---edit---

The live stream is up and running.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:03:56 pm by Shaostoul »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #419 on: July 02, 2012, 12:33:36 pm »

I decided to post this here rather then make a seperate thread for it. Someone asked me to expain reactions and some more complex stuff about them, So I made this up for them. I hope this helps any that finds Reactions a hassle.

[REACTION:XXXX]
   [NAME:xxxx xxxx xxxx]
   [BUILDING:<building id>:CUSTOM_<letter, SHIFT_ + letter, ALT_ + letter, I think there is a CTRL_ + letter>] --- remember all caps, or use NONE for the hotkey
   [REAGENT:<custom id>:###:<item_id>:<item_subtype>:<material_id>:<material_subtype>] --- if CREATURE_MAT,PLANT_MAT is used there are two <mat_subs>
   [PRODUCT:%%%:###:<item_id>:<item_subtype>:<material_id>:<material_subtype>]
   [SKILL:<skill_id>]

some reagents can go like this:
[REAGENT:A:1:WOOD:NONE] heck you might be able to get away with [REAGENT:A:1:WOOD] just to grab any wood, now me being old fasion always make my reagents look like this: [REAGENT:log:1:WOOD:NONE:NONE:NONE]

now since the reagent is very general about what it takes it is usefull in two ways.
1. you just need any wooden log for the reaction, just to make it seem needed for an output/product
2. make something that is wood and acts like the carpenters workshop

for 2. you need a Product line like this:
[PRODUCT:100:1:SLAB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:log:NONE] --- points to the above mentioned reagent's custom_id, also like reagents you might be able to leave out that last "NONE" but I leave it in cause it's not hurtin anyone.

But someting a bit more complex:

This is my advanced brewing (thanks to Stronghammer for educating me on RL brewing) now allow me to chop it down to size

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:BREW_GOOD_1]
[NAME:brew aged dwarven wine]
[BUILDING:BREW_REGEN:NONE]
[REAGENT:plants:10:PLANT:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:STRUCTURAL]
[REAGENT:sweetener:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:SWEET]
[REAGENT:sweet container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[CONTAINS:sweetener]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[REAGENT:tallow:1:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:TALLOW][UNROTTEN]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot1:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:DRINK2][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot1]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plants:SEED_MAT]
[SKILL:BREWING]

This was a very big reaction, and trust me I had to make a custom program that it's sole purpose was to make these reactions... Anyways
the reaction is a perfect mix of what can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

[REAGENT:sweetener:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:SWEET]
   [REAGENT:sweet container:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [CONTAINS:sweetener]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
      [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]

This here looks for any item made from a material with a REACTION_CLASS of SWEET which in Regen is "Dwarven Suger" and "Dwarven Syrup"
But not only that it looks for this item+class inside a container (be it Bag, chest, barrel, or Jug) since I know the item i'm looking for must be
stored in a bag or barrel

[REAGENT:barrel/pot1:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
      [EMPTY][FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER][PRESERVE_REAGENT][DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]

Kindof explains it'self but this acually will grab anything that can hold food (which is anything that has a EDIBLE I believe)

[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:PLANT_MAT:MUSHROOM_HELMET_PLUMP:DRINK2][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot1]

Now in the plump helmet plant, I added a new drink that has more value and a boost for being drank. And it places the product "DRINK"
in the food container I requested above

[PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:plants:SEED_MAT]

Now this one is a bit harder, and then again not. When I was making these reactions I made a "generic brew" so to do so
I used alot of MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT which in the end looks like I didn't need it,  which is a lie I have it for my
tree processing reactions.

Anyways in the STRUCTUAL_TEMPLATE that all plants use I dropped [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED] so now every plant has this.

Now since I'm just taking the SEED_MAT from Plump Helmets because I know they have it. But if I wanted to generically grab an item to make a generic related other item

I would use
[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:SEED_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:SEEDS:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:SEED_MAT]

this will grab basically any plant (due to my addition to the template) which means even seedless plants will be taken, and not just PLANT anything that is made from the STRUCTUAL_TEMPLATE will fall victum. and if a seedless plant item is taken, un-useable seeds will be made.

About [REACTION_CLASS:xxxx] I use this for very simple things, normally I place this nifty tag on 'inorganics' or single material types

Lets say I wanted a reaction that took any wooden chair just a chair that is made from wood
but this doesn't work
[REAGENT:chair:1:CHAIR:NONE:PLANT_MAT:NONE:WOOD]
Well now I am stumped, I want chairs, that are wooden, and don't want to make a reaction for each and every type of wooden chair.
So I add [REACTION_CLASS:GET_WOOD] on the WOOD_TEMPLATE. Ha now anything that is wooden is now classed as GET_WOOD

now I can do this:
[REAGENT:chair:1:CHAIR:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:GET_WOOD]

Bam now metal,stone,cloth,etc.. Chairs are ignored and only my desired wooden chairs are choosen,
or anything that is wood if I wanted:
[REAGENT:wood:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:GET_WOOD]

Now anything that is made from a material that is classed as GET_WOOD will be choosen doesn't matter if it is a 'log' or a chair, or splint, or block. It will just grab 1 wooden item.

I can even add [REACTION_CLASS:COIN_METAL] on SILVER, GOLD, and COPPER

then use
[REAGENT:bar:150:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:COIN_METAL]
[PRODUCT:100:500:COIN:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:bar:NONE]

now the reaction will take any SILVER,GOLD,COPPER bar and make 500 coins from whatever taken metal.

[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:<custom_id>:<material_id>:<material_subtype>] is related to [REACTION_CLASS:xxxx] only it has more functions.

REACTION_CLASS is like the little brother to MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT because REACTION_CLASS can only do one thing and that is class a material as something.
MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT can not only class, but also reach out to another material

A good example is tanning
the SKIN_TEMPLATE has
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]
which means anything made from SKIN is classed as TAN_MAT and if so desired a material LEATHER can be used (hard to word right)
to help clear up what I mean this example will help (I hope)

[REAGENT:skin:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE] --- let us say this grabs a unrotten piece of dog skin
   [USE_BODY_COMPONENT] --- another way to use CORPSEPIECE I guess, may include other bodyparts too
   [UNROTTEN] --- right on the tin, has to be fresh
   [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT] --- now this is another thing that sets it apart from REACTION_CLASS is the "HAS_" when it is called in a reaction
[PRODUCT:100:1:SLAB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:skin:NONE] --- this will make a "dog skin slab"
[PRODUCT:100:1:SLAB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:skin:TAN_MAT] --- this will make a "dog leather slab"

Now another cool thing is when you really play with it.
I help with Kobold Camp, not only for Regen but for Lago (man incharge of Kobold Camp)
I wanted a way to make crude metal stuff, and the easiest way to do that is make new metals
So now I have crude copper/iron/bronze/silver/steel but I only want this metal when a weapon/armor is broken down to chunks

Remember MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT is related to REACTION_CLASS they can both class things.
So to IRON/COPPER/SILVER/BRONZE/STEEL I added these:
[MATERIAL_REACTION_CLASS:CRUDE_TARGET:INORGANIC:IRON_CRUDE]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_CLASS:CRUDE_TARGET:INORGANIC:COPPER_CRUDE]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_CLASS:CRUDE_TARGET:INORGANIC:SILVER_CRUDE]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_CLASS:CRUDE_TARGET:INORGANIC:BRONZE_CRUDE]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_CLASS:CRUDE_TARGET:INORGANIC:STEEL_CRUDE]

Now all 5 true metals are classed as CRUDE_TARGET and have their crude and weaker versions related to them
I can now make a reaction like this:

[REAGENT:weapon:1:WEAPON:NONE:NONE:NONE] --- I just want any weapon
   [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:CRUDE_TARGET] --- now I want any WEAPON that is made from my 5 classed metals
[PRODUCT:100:150:BAR:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:weapon:CRUDE_TARGET]
now if this reaction grabbed a "iron long sword" I would get a "crude iron bar" in which I can use to forge other "crude iron" items at a forge or I can go farther and add
[REACTION_CLASS:CRUDE_METAL] to all the crude metals so I can use a cold-hammer reaction to take a bar of "crude" metal and make something from that.

You can stack/layer these things, or chain them all together. A material can have many REACTION_CLASSes or MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCTs just as long as their <custom_id>s are not the same

But you may wonder about my method of the crude metal, well I could have said take any IRON WEAPON and make a IRON_CRUDE BAR and had that reaction for all the true metals and crudes. But I knew I had break armor, break helm, break pants, break shoes, etc..
Now will I have each one 5 times? Or will I make break war-grade xxxx to get it's child "crude xxxx"

I chose the lazy path  I don't like cluttering up a workshop with a huge list of reactions, when I can have a "do it all" reaction.

I hope there are not too many typos, or confusing issues. I typed this up late at night.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29