Poll

Sticky this thread?

Yes
- 304 (93.3%)
No
- 22 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 326

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29

Author Topic: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide  (Read 82333 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
--GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Guide
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:22 pm »

NOTE: I've not touched Dwarf Fortress in quite a long time, at least modding wise. I wonder if this is still useful.

>>>>>>>Welcome to<<<<<<<
**Shaostoul's Guide**

IMPORTANT NOTE
All information I post here I test and make sure it works. If I can't test it, someones tested it for me. All information is trying to be kept up to date with the most current version of Dwarf Fortress. If you have a problem with anything either from this guide or not, feel free to either PM me or post on this thread. If you see any issues with any information on this guide, let me know. I'll see about correcting it. Thank you and have a nice day.

MISSING INFORMATION
I know a lot of the information that was contained in the guide is missing. That's because I've moved a lot of the completed stuff to the wiki so I can use the posts for other information. For your convenience here is the wiki version of my guide.
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Wiki Version

WHEN TO GENERATE A NEW WORLD
This question is asked tons. The safest motto to follow is, if you don't know if it needs a regen, just regen.

A new world is needed to be generated when you add any new entries. Like new creatures, entities, items, reactions, etc. I have yet to run into an instance where I can add a new entry and not need to generate a new world.

You can edit existing information, to an extent. With the release of the "DF2010" version, any generated worlds must be edited in the save folder.
Dwarf Fortress->Data->Save->region1->raw->graphics or object

As far as I know, you can edit/change graphics at any time. Please keep in mind, some may not work or might have issues, ask around and people will more than likely help you with any problems.
As new version of Dwarf Fortress come out, I try to make sure that all my information is still working, if something isn't working, I'll help you out with it.

I don't know how many times I've seen people asking the simple modding questions that I believe I've outlined in this guide. I've said the same thing too many times. If you see an offender making a NEW thread asking "why won't my mod work?" Please send them here... I hope they'll spend a little time and read and practice and work through problems, that's what I have to do for this guide.

This project is on going and ever evolving, whether it be slow or fast. I am hoping that with the aid of the Bay12 and Dwarf Fortress Community that this guide will be able to help new and veteran people alike. I always am checking my guide for new posts and am most likely to help you here first and fastest. If a new thread is made, I may or may not look at it. I'm always open even for idle talk and "bs-ing". If you have any questions, comments or input, I wouldn't mind at all if you posted it here or even PM'd me. I'm not a mean person and will more than likely help you to the end.

If you want to get a hold of me on something other than the forum. I have MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger. Whenever I'm on the forum, I'm typically on the messengers.
Shaostoul@Yahoo.com
Minsc999@Hotmail.com

I've noticed derailing of topic and such, but that doesn't bother me any more. Just no flaming or arguing with one another. At least keep it semi-productive. Maybe?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:14:01 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Useful Pages and Utilities
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »

**Useful Pages and Utilities**

Important pages here on the forum.

Custom Workshop Workshop - If you need help designing your own custom workshop, use this.

Perfect World - An amazing utility for designing your own world.

Runesmith - The new Dwarf Companion. Allows editing of ALL creatures and more.

Dwarf Therapist - Makes assigning jobs and changing names and more, way easier.

Stonesense - An isometric viewer for DF.

Soundsense - A new program that adds more sounds to DF.

Deon's Genesis Mod I use this, gotta see it to understand.

Mayday's DFG Gotta see it to understand.

Friendship Enhancer Want to have any creature do work for you? Use this.

Mushroom Kingdom Legacy A Mario total conversion, can't wait for this one!

DFHack The daddy of all hacking, this stuff is important for utility cheating.

Civilization Forge Gotta see it to understand.

Modders Workshop Lots of questions get answered here.

Community Mods and Utilities List That's more or less what this list is, but much much better. (Well... maybe ;P)

Important pages on the wiki.

String Dump - This is where a lot of my information for my guide came from.

Reactions - This is a good page on the wiki with lots of reaction information.

Temperature Info - Need help with temperatures? Start here.

Creature Tokens - This has a lot of information on Creature Tokens.

Plant Tokens - This has a lot of information of Plant Tokens.

Water - Come here to learn how the water works.

Magma/Lava - Come here to learn how the magma/lava works.

Token Categories - A good start for trying to find the tokens you need.

Creatures - Tons of good information on creatures.

Note

If you feel a page should be added here, let me know via PM or posting on this thread.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:07:24 pm by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - General Information
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 09:23:19 pm »

General Information

Planning...

I've been seeing a lot of posts about small little things, so I'll try to address those here.

Adventure mode reactions!!!
Provided by ToaHero92 (He said he didn't care about getting credit, but this is a sizable chunk of info.
These can possibly go in any reaction_name file. Also you don't have to add them to the civ.
Spoiler: armor (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: weapons (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ammo (click to show/hide)

Aquifers
Sick and tired of being stopped by aquifers? It's real simple and easy to remove them. Look for these three files.

inorganic_stone_layer
inorganic_stone_mineral
inorganic_stone_soil

Inside of them you'll find the entries for various stones and soils and such. You're looking for a tag specific tag. [AQUIFER] to be exact. Just go through each 3 of the files and make sure to remove [AQUIFER] from all of them. Some may have it, a lot won't. You'll mostly see it in the inorganic_stone_soil file.

Adventure Mode Reactions

It's more or less a fortress mode reaction, but may be a little bit harder for reagents.

Instead of
[BUILDING:BUILDING_NAME:HOTKEY]

it's going to be
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]

There is a list of products on the wiki page of my guide. It's missing quite a bit, but I'm too lazy presently to go through and add them all.

The following may be a working reaction for tanning hides in Adventure Mode.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reactions and Buildings

The following vanilla builds can have reactions added and removed from them only. Some of the buildings have reactions that are hard-coded and you can't change. You can't change the appearance of these buildings.

Smelter
Kiln
Kitchen
Tanner

The following vanilla building can have reactions added and removed from it AND you CAN change the appearance of the build or remove it entirely.

Soap Maker's Workshop

Splints and Crutches and (other stuff) are hard-coded and can not be removed. You can however add any of the items to be produced via reaction at any custom or vanilla moddable workshop.
Wiki guide has a products list.

Regarding soils and sand and liquids in reactions...

As far as I still know, reaction reagents can not properly call up items contained in something. You may successfully call up a bag of sand, but you aren't actually calling the sand, you're calling the bag. The same is for liquids, this is why you haven't seen a true blood wine beverage as of yet.

Professions

As far as I know all skills are hard-coded and you can NOT add or remove any. You do however have quite a lot of skills to choose from. There are two lists of skills. One for being used in reactions and one for buildings and labors (I don't have this last list yet.)

Item Subtype, what's that? (Weapons, armor and items)

Item subtype to be specific is...
[PRODUCT:100:1:ITEM:ITEM_SUBTYPE:MATGLOSS:MATGLOSS_SUBTYPE:PART]

Majority of your reactions aren't going to have any item subtype, at least vanilla DF.

For example weapons use a subtype.

[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:INORGANIC:STEEL]

Ammo is the same way, but instead of WEAPON, it says AMMO. Toys, crafts, instruments, ammo, weapons, armor, etc. all have that item subtype.

Research

This has been a big subject lately. There is a lot of debate on how to go about it. It would however in essence require dummy items. Research books, research points, whatever you can think up.

These would be reagents used in reactions to allow you to make them.

REMEMBER THAT A REACTION MADE ITEM WILL NOT HAVE QUALITY LEVELS, FOR QUALITY LEVELS YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO MAKE IT!

If it continues to be in demand and no one else makes it and I get REQUESTS for it, I will make a few examples of 'research' stuff.

Tile sets and graphic sets.

A lot of people worry about whether or not you can change between these for saves. Common in 'community games'. These are completely changeable, much like most of the INI settings.

Worldgen

If you change settings in this, it WILL NOT change anything in your present world, you HAVE to gen a new world for it to work.

As my motto goes with modding. If you don't know if it needs a regen, just regen.

Item Types

I've seen a few questions about wanting to make new item types. The answer is NO. You can not make 'books' you can not make 'scrolls' you can not make 'elaborate nuclear device'

You CAN make a TOY, INSTRUMENT, CRAFT, whatever that is already present and call it book, scroll, elaborate nuclear device. However it WON'T actually be one. You have to use your 'ImAgInAtIoN'.

Water and amphibious dwarfs... flying?

A few questions have gone around about working under water. The answer is no. The same goes for lava. Your creature will say it is dangerous terrain REGARDLESS of any tags you give them... as far as I know. They will not run into the water and swim to where you want them to dig, they will not swam dive into lava and fight your dreaded magma mega beast with spikes of ooze, they will not do any of that.

FLYING it's more or less the same with the water. Your dwarfs treat cliffs as cliffs... They will not fly properly to where it is you want them to work. As soon as they lift off the ground, it becomes dangerous terrain and they cancel.

That's all for now... I'll add more as time goes on.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 09:43:00 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Entity Modding Information
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:23:43 pm »

Entity Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:30:13 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Body Modding Information
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »

Body Modding Information

Planning...

Hey shaostoul I have some body modifications I'd like to propose to you

this part is so that you don't get an error  saying that TAUPE_SANDY wasn't used

and I've tried just using

but it just produces an error stating that tissue ADAMANTINE was not found
and this variant
just spams the error log for EVERY bodypart for both sexes that tissue ADAMANTINE was not found for BODYPART for SEX using first tissue found instead

this all stems from me posting that I gave my dwarfs adamantine skin and a guy asking me to post the code. So, I decided to try to use your guide (because it's so popular) to post it. If you would do so that would be appreciated greatly. Thank you.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:00:37 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Material Template Modding Information
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:24:56 pm »

Material Template Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:27:24 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Reaction Modding Information
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 09:25:16 pm »

Reaction Modding Information

This post shall be in two parts. Products and Reagents.

Below is your basic reaction.

[REACTION:AAA]
[NAME:BbB]
[BUILDING:CCC:DDD]
[REAGENT:EEE:FFF:GGG:HHH:III:JJJ]
[PRODUCT:KKK:LLL:MMM:NNN:OOO:PPP]
[SKILL:QQQ]

Available entries for AAA
Anything is really able to be put here, this is how the reaction is called upon in the game.

Available entries for BbB
Anything is real able to be put here, this is how the reaction reads in the game for the player.
You generally want this to clearly state what it is this reaction does.

Available entries for CCC
This is any of the available buildings you have in your version of DF.
Vanilla entries are...
SMELTER
TANNER
KITCHEN
SOAP_MAKER
KILN

Available entries for DDD
This is a hotkey that you designate for the reaction.
The available hotkeys are...
CUSTOM_SHIFT_(A to Z)
CUSTOM_(A to Z)

Available entries for EEE
This is so you can call upon the reagent in the product line. It's more or less the order of reagents.
The available entries are...
A to Z

Available entries for FFF
This is how many of this specific reagent you want.
Any number is a valid entry...

Available entries for GGG
This is the ITEM_TOKEN that the reagent is.
The available entries are... (Please note this list is (potentially) incomplete and not 100 percent verified.)

Available entries for HHH
This is the ITEM_SUBTYPE that the reagent is.
The available entries are... (Please note this list is (potentially) incomplete and not 100 percent verified.)

Available entries for III
This is the MATGLOSS_TOKEN that the reagent is.

Available entries for JJJ
This is the MATGLOSS_SUBTYPE that the reagent is.

Available entries for KKK
There is some debate on what this does exactly, I'll leave here how I view it until I test it's wrong.
This is the percentage of the product that is created.
If you go over 100 percent you'll end up with a complete product and say you go to 150 percent you end up with a complete product and half a product. If you run the reaction again, you end up with two products instead of one. Repeat.

Available entries for LLL
This is the amount of the product that is created.

Available entries for MMM
This is the ITEM_TOKEN that the product is.

Available entries for NNN
This is the ITEM_SUBTYPE that the product is.

Available entries for OOO
This is the MATGLOSS_TOKEN that the product is.

Available entries for PPP
This is the ITEM_SUBTYPE that the product is.

Available entries for QQQ
This is the skill that you want to be used for this reaction.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 08:20:56 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Metal Modding Information
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:25:39 pm »

Metal Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:25:36 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Stone Modding Information
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 09:25:56 pm »

Stone Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:25:14 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Plant/Tree Modding Information
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »

Plant/Tree Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:24:52 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Creature Modding Information
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2010, 09:26:32 pm »

Creature Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:24:27 pm by Shaostoul »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Shaostoul's Modding Guide - Creature Modding Information
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »

Creature Modding Information

Planning...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:30:35 pm by Shaostoul »

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile
Re: --GUIDE-- Shaostoul's Modding Guide --If you mod, read this--
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 11:07:21 am »

I nominate this for sticky status. Once it's finished, at least.
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.

Shakzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [Escutcheon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 03:16:12 pm »

I second that notion.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 03:38:08 pm »

I second that notion.
I Triple that notion.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 29