Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Drinking Barrel and Food cabinet  (Read 8042 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Drinking Barrel and Food cabinet
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:50 pm »

A drinking barrel is build just like other furniture (tables, chairs and the like). Its just a plain barrel you select from the list.

After a Barrel is build it has 2 Options:
[r]oom: you can design a room from it, this will act as dining hall just like from tables
[a]dd mug: you can store up to 5 mugs on the barrel

dwarf will automatically refill the empty drinking barrels with aviable drinks from the food stockpile (food hauling for the occational dwarfs activated of course), the drink barrel will hold up to 5 drinks.

if the barrel is in a private dining hall, the owner dwarf(s if married) will get his drink from this barrel, restricted for other dwarfs
if in an meeting hall (public dining hall) any dwarf will go for it then thirsty
if no mug is present the barrel is not useable for other dwarfs in the moment, just like the drinking from the stockpile

the dwarf will take the mug and one drink, randomly approches a tile inside the (designated) room and start drinking, after he finishes he will haul the mug back to the barrel.

military dwarfs will automatically fill their waterskins at the barracks they are allowed to do any of the 4 options (sleep, train or store personal/military equip)

the same with the food cabinet: it uses the normal cabinet just instead of storing clothing its for storing prepared food (only!), can hold up to 5 prepared food
just it doesnt need the mugs ;) it basicly acts like a local food storage

the basic idea behind this suggestion is to give mugs and goblets some use, while keeping your dwarfs from cluttering the food stockpile.
so you can make personal rooms filled with food without managing nasty stockpile infos, or getting the food stolen form a nearby hungry dwarf. drinking barrels and food cabinets a dwarf is allowed to use will have higher priority than the food stockpile, but he still will go for the stockpile if all barrels are occupied or empty.

EDIT: the qualiy/material of the goblets/mugs used will give the dwarfs happy thoughts. so a Granite mug will give maybe just +1 happiness, while a *<*platinium goblet*>* will give him quite a boost (up to +10?) artifact mugs/goblets will always give +15 ... also the stored mugs will count to a rooms value.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:06:05 pm by Rhenaya »
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
Re: Drinking Barrel and Food cabinet
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:04:47 pm »

You lost me at mug.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 01:22:51 am »

I think this idea is good.

Why not use a pre-filled barrel for the room though, so that there's more drink in it?  At that thought, why such a low number?  When you get enough dwarves, 5 drinks is very little in the way of slaking thirst, and may end up simply creating an enormous wad of hauling jobs as dwarfs desperately try to refill the water/alcohol cooler as dwarfs nearby enthusiastically bang their mugs on tables and demand more booze.

5 mugs to a barrel, though, I see no problem with.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:56:46 am »

well the standard size of a barrel is 5, and dwarfs will only haul one if the barrel is empty, if you got a really huge fortress its advised to build 4-5 of that barrels into the dining hall anyway (or one per personal dining room). any number bigger than 5 is dwarfen time-space mechanic with higher input plants at the still ;)

also this should be a building, what happens if you build a 15 drink barrel of dwarven ale and it gets empty, should it then take 15 again? what with the one that had just 3 in it because the dwarves drunk from it before you build it? and son on... thats why a fixed number. and 5 is just the default one.

the 5 mugs is to give mugs a use and as there are 5 drinks in it, 5 dwarves can drink from it simultanously (because they dont occupie it the whole time just to fill their mug)

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 06:13:04 am »

This would allow for a bar area. Awesome!

You should be able to put a "Bard" in there. They could have songs and games and stuff :D

Tiphareth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:16:52 am »

Not dwarfy enough, instead of a barrel to refill it should be a cistern (lined with glass or something to prevent the alcohol to seep out), and a pipeline going to a fountain. Loads of mugs around. Perpetual party place. Just need to refill the cistern every now and then.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:07:47 am »

This would allow for a bar area. Awesome!

You should be able to put a "Bard" in there. They could have songs and games and stuff :D

(Bar is simple to do now: 1) disable drinks on all food stockpiles 2) Build still in dining room, idealy with some tables and chairs.)

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 09:34:42 am »

(Bar is simple to do now: 1) disable drinks on all food stockpiles 2) Build still in dining room, idealy with some tables and chairs.)

Still needs song and wenches!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:33:57 pm »

Not a bad idea, but I think it would be better to use a container, perhaps one larger than the flasks we have now, to hold booze, and store those in a cabinet the same way you suggest doing with food, and simply allow dwarves to use any available goblet/mug. Goblets could be stored in any cabinet in the same room as an alcohol cabinet.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 12:23:31 am »

why not just barrels? booze kegs in taverns are pretty much common standing arround everywhere, and a dining meeting hall is pretty much just a tavern, also personal rooms would be like it.. saves a lot of runtime if food and booze is just in the room already

alternative would be to make the take from pile is n:m not n:1 so you can have multiple stockpiles take booze and prepared food from the central kitchen stockpile to the personal rooms and stuff :x but i like the idea more to have cabinets and barrels around. because thats where food and drinks are normally stored anyway ;)

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 02:04:39 pm »

Perhaps large barrels would be better for this.

Build/Forge Large Barrel, construct it in the dining hall (3x3 building? or 2x3 and rotatable?), set the type of booze it will hold. Dwarves fill it up from the stockpiles with that type of booze and some mugs--much like they do hospital supplies.

When a dwarf is thirsty, he grabs a mug and draws a serving from the tap.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 06:34:06 pm »

thats more like an overkill again i think :x

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 07:32:55 pm »

i had a similar thought today. like. setting up a dry well and then designating it as a "booze well" and they just pour all booze into it. depending on the size of the well it could hold many servings (7/tile)

and then it'd function as a normal well. though all drinks poured into it should turn into "sewer brew"
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 07:38:36 pm »

A massive beer barrel is a great idea.  Mugs and goblets become useful.  Mugs for the general population and goblets for nobles and legendaries.  High quality barrels give dwarves good thoughts and maybe even small positive thought for using a mug/goblet instead of chugging from a barrel.  The food cabinet just doesn't seem very dwarfish. 

Maybe you could link a Still directly to a massive beer barrel instead of hauling individual barrels to the food stockpile and then hauled back to refill the beer barrel? 

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 10:59:11 pm »

I support this. I've always dreamed of making a tavern. Maybe they would be a luxury item, like something nobles request, like an armor stand. I feel they should be bigger then a standard barrel, but I don't think workshop size is justified. I mean maybe even one tile, but just being "bigger". Requiring more supplies, and not being able to be used for stockpiles. Or we could just make a "bar" workshop, and uses multiple barrels and mugs, and functions the exact same way you guys want. And you could use it like a workshop to designate what alcohol it should serve. Sorry I know like two thought that don't quite come together, but it just came to me.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz
Pages: [1] 2