Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How did I make a ruby amulet?  (Read 1492 times)

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did I make a ruby amulet?
« on: September 05, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »

In my last fortress I suddenly found myself in the posession of a "ruby amulet". As it doesn't have the <brackets> indicating that it's from outside, I somehow must have crafted it myself, but to my knowledge there is no "make gem craft" in any of the workshops.

Just to make it clear this was not an amulet encrusted with rubies (and I actually encrusted it later with some other gems), but seemed to be just like a "onyx" or "horse bone" amulet but made out of a ruby. Has anyone seen this before and knows how to make it?

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How did I make a ruby amulet?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 05:43:00 pm »

Not sure. Dwarves in fey moods can make strange things. I had a sand shortsword made once. Also, a diamond bed.

Does your bracelet show up in the artifacts list?

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 08:05:00 pm »

No, it's no artifact, doesn't have that fancy name. In addition it has the - well-crafted - quality markers, that (I think) don't show up on artifacts as those are of the highest quality anyways.
And I don't think you would be able to afterwards encrust a mood-crafted item with some lesser gem's dust. This is the strange thing about that amulet, it looks like a completly ordinary item, but I have no idea how it was made.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »

Sometimes when cutting gems, your jeweler will get inspired and make a craft instead of simply cutting the gems.  I believe that better jewelers will do this more often.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 05:26:00 am »

I didn't know about that. But I do know that it will definitely happen if you have a mandate requesting items made from that gem.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Satyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 05:36:00 am »

Ah yes, this might explain it. I think there was a mandate for making ruby items going on earlier.