Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing fortifications  (Read 820 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing fortifications
« on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:00 am »

EDIT: Wait, I might just be being stupid. Is this how fortifications already work, and were my dwarves just unlucky?

I don't know if this is possible to code in the engine, but I think it would eb a realistic and fairly simple way to make fortifications help whoever built them.

In real life, shooting through a small hole is easier the closer you are to the hole.
So, shouldn't the chance that a bolt goes through a hole exponentially decrease as it is fired from farther and farther away?

Examples: Your marksdwarf, standing directly behind the fortification, will be able to shoot through every time. The horde of gobbos standing 20 meters away from the wall, however, will rarely be able to get a bolt trhough. If they get real close they may start hitting your guys, though.

Just an idea, since I hate seeing fortifications do no good for the marksdwarves hiding behind them.

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Slappy Moose ]

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing fortifications
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 04:23:00 am »

As I recall, fortifications are supposed to force people to make an additional skill check to shoot through the fortification unless they're standing next to it. If this works the way I think it does, the person getting shot at doesn't get an extra chance to use his defensive skills, so the only time fortifications make a big difference is when the shooter has low skill, is very far away from the target, or is missing eyes.
Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 09:26:00 am »

Well then I think my point remains valid.

Fortifications are REALLY hard to shoot through into from the outside real life. Should that be true in DF?

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmonot:
<STRONG> or is missing eyes.</STRONG>

Unless he is Daredevil.  :)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I agree with the post, gobbos consistently hitting my guys through arrow slits that are hundreds of yards away? Why do I bother with those things?

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by mickel:
<STRONG>Sorry, couldn't help myself. I agree with the post, gobbos consistently hitting my guys through arrow slits that are hundreds of yards away? Why do I bother with those things?</STRONG>

Because it's marginally better than no wall at all, as the gobos can't walk through it and your militar doesn't need to go around it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 02:14:00 am »

And they really do seem to help if the enemies are far away. I've seen a few marksdwarves up in a high tower (I think about 5 z-levels) get attacked by a swarm of archers, all get by without a scratch, and take out a few archers before they'd moved on to the fort proper. A poor dog up on the top of the tower, which wasn't finished, was killed, and he was a few more z-levels up. So I think the fortifications made a huge difference.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One