Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Pure iron (100% iron) nor cast iron shouldn't be dominant metal for arms  (Read 25086 times)

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That middle part is actually interesting, the "if you leave fracture high but drop yield" part. Because the current raws give all metals same impact (actually compressive) yield and fracture which would equate to something very brittle, like stone. Even bone yields before it reaches it's ultimate strength. I'm guessing that Toady just found "compressive strength" figures, just like I have, and used them for both. Metals should have lower yield than fracture across the board (ie. against every kind of stress). What kind of weapon were you using in the test case mentioned? Was it same material as the armor? Was the level of damage within realism? If yes, then making the impact figures realistic would actually give realistic preformance. Odd.  ???

(Edit) It seems that the yield = fracture in impact resistance (and others too, actually) is all over the place. Including stuff like hair and skin. I think it is pretty safe to say that if a material isn't a type of rock, it should have lower yield than fracture. My recent testing with my own skin and hair revealed that they yield before they break. Okey, I didn't really push my skin to the yield point. That would really hurt.

That being said, compressive figures are listed rather sporadically, possibly because they would only really matter for construction materials irl. I haven't found any kind of way to convert tensile strength to compressive. There seems to be some kind of correlation between toughness (ie. large margin between yield and fracture equates a tough material) and compressive strength though. Generally, tough (in terms of tensile resistance) materials have relatively smaller difference between tensile strength and compressive strength than brittle materials.

In other news, I found some godsent tools to approximately convert hardness to tensile strength (that would be ultimate strength, or fracture in this case). The first site requires registering after few tries.

http://www.efunda.com/units/hardness/convert_hardness.cfm?HD=HV&Cat=Steel#ConvInto
http://www.unified-eng.com/scitech/hardness/hardness.html

I also found a table for bronze hardness:

Bronze, hardness (HV):
% tin _ as cast ___ work-hardened by 50% reduction
0.0 _____ 40 ______ 120
2.0 _____ 50 ______ 140
4.0 _____ 60 ______ 165
6.0 _____ 70 ______ 185
8.0 _____ 84 ______ 210
10.0 ___ 100 ______ 230
15.0 ___ 140 ______ 300

This is from "The prehistory of metallurgy in the British Isles" by R.F. Tylecote. I don't actually own it, it's a quote of a quote.

So, 10& tin bronze out of mold has tensile fracture of 333000 KPa. Seems to match roughly the latest MatWeb bronze, though that was softer (more comparable to the 8% tin bronze on the table).
When hardened by hammering it down to 50% of the original thickness, the edge goes up to 730000.

Some highlight from the iron swords and other objcets from the links in my previous post. All values in KPa, the same as game.

Iron age sword from Waltham Abbey, UK, Core: 550000 Edge: 827000.

Can I stop at this point to say WOW? I was not expecting that kind of figures from 2000 year old non quenched rod of iron. Not to mention I picked that because it seemed to have rather average properities for late iron age and low to non-existant carbon content. There was a harder iron age sword there... I now truly understand what they mean when they say that stainless steel sucks for swords.

Roman Spatha: 400000-510000.

Ulfberht sword, Donnybrook, Dublin, Ireland, early medieval period, quench-hardened. Edge is 1669000.

Pattern-welded sword of Palace of Westminster, UK, 9nd century AD. Core: 620000 Edge: 462000. Possibly a result of overtempering?

Merovingian spearheads: ~300000-814000.

Late Roman period spearhead: 400000.

Iron age high carbon quenched sword: 2400000. Actually broke the 50% margin with adamantite. Oh dear.

Merovingian mail link: 634000.

The axes at the merovingian metalworking seem to follow similar figures to the swords posted here, though none get nearly as high as the latest sword example (which is also from that link).

Again, all those values were tensile fracture values, which are used for shear fracture in game. I often took averages between the two conversion sites and between conversion methods, in case you are wondering.

In general, it seems that my request for iron to have great variance in properities was well placed. It is notable though that the line between wrough iron and steel becomes quite blurry here, especially the two very hard swords should be taken as being "steel". Also, by now it is pretty clear that the only period where bronze could have suprassed iron was when ironworking was in it's very infancy. This would no longer have been the case by late iron age, and bronze was mostly obsolete by then. Iron items that had worse properities than bronze were still manufactured thoughout iron and middle ages, however.

Nice to hear that this stuff is of interest.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:31:18 pm by Dwarfoloid »

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile

<3's for you Dwarfoloid!  I adore your suggestions on this thread and your informative research with actual cited sources!!!

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bronze is sharper than either of those forms of iron mentioned.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I think one of the biggest changes that will happen with metal usability is going to come about when armor and weapons can get damaged. The issue with a lot of metals isn't how well they perform once, but how well they hold up over a battle. A super-sharp sword that loses its edge quickly isn't as useful overall as one that holds less of an edge but keeps it over a longer period of time.

Same reason no one uses obsidian for weapons after metal comes into play. Sure, it's insanely sharp, but it'll shatter against metal and quickly become unusable. Not to mention hazardous for the wielder.

It's also one of the advantages of iron. Bronze may be better in some ways, but it was more expensive and more difficult to get back into shape after combat. I remember reading that bronze swords needed to be recast to get that edge back, while iron could simply be sharpened.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think bronze requires bit more work to repair than iron and it's alloys. Especially, it seems that you can't just sharpen it like you can iron, you would need to take it to a smith. Also, bronze doesn't fuze with itself like iron does, so broken blade would need recast. However, pretty heavy damage would need to be inflicted on the balde before it actually needed a recast.

Here is a thread about hands-on research with a bronze sword replica: http://www.swordforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83832

It was made by the smith to whoes site I posted a link to a while back (I'm actually thinking about placing an order for one of those, though perhaps not the exact same type, truly lovely pieces of handicraft  :D) and the damage to the blade inflicted in the test seemed to be within repairable margins.

To Eerr: What leads you to belive that bronze can hold a sharper edge? The way I see it, maximum reasonable shrapness that a metal blade can achieve is directly dependant on it's hardness. I may be wrong, ofc.

(Edit) Now that I think about it, what exactly makes obsidian sharp? It's molecular structure? I'll need to check on this a bit.

More on obsidian, it has hardness of 5-5,5 mohs. http://www.beadage.net/glossary/index.php?term=obsidian

That means 535--669 HV, or ~2000000 (yeah, 7 digits) tensile strength. So obsidian is sharp because of it's hardness.

Now I need to find out why it shatters so easily.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:22:38 pm by Dwarfoloid »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

(Edit) Now that I think about it, what exactly makes obsidian sharp? It's molecular structure? I'll need to check on this a bit.

More on obsidian, it has hardness of 5-5,5 mohs. http://www.beadage.net/glossary/index.php?term=obsidian

That means 535--669 HV, or ~2000000 (yeah, 7 digits) tensile strength. So obsidian is sharp because of it's hardness.

Now I need to find out why it shatters so easily.

I don't think it's that simple.  There are plenty of very hard materials that you can't make solid blades out of, prismatic or otherwise.  A large part of the reason it's sharp is because it shatters easily -- specifically, it has a tendency (like other glasses) to form sharp edges when it shatters.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:09:25 pm by Footkerchief »

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed, but that hardness would still be the one that allows a thin flake of rock to retain reasonable strength, so it shouldn't be overlooked. Ie. while you could theoretically give any kind of material sharp edge, hardness would dictate if so thin of an edge is practical at all.

I guess the molecular structure would be pretty important in dictating what kind of edge is practically achievable though.

Speaking of which, shouldn't there be obsidian spears, axes and bolts as well as swords?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:28:06 pm by Dwarfoloid »

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, there so should be!  But if that happens, there really really really needs to be item damage and breaking implemented beyond wearing out of clothes.  If such a brittle kind of weapon impacts a hard surface like armor, it really should be likely to break.  Also, armor should be something that needs maintenance (replacement of broken links, replacing busted rivets, hammering out of dents, polishing, application of oil for rust prevention, etc.) and blades need to require resharpening, I think.  These are very real factors in the reasons certain technologies came about throughout human history, and the material system has great potential for modeling this in a believable way!

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Speaking of which, shouldn't there be obsidian spears, axes and bolts as well as swords?
Yeah, in fact I'd say swords are the least likely.
Akur Akir Akam!

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Though hopefully, when or if battle damage gets in the game, it would already contain some level of automation. Most of the damage should be fixed by the soldiers themself in their free time, with a task akin to cleaning self. Armors and weapons that needed a smith's attention would automatically be placed in specified stockpiles and the soldier would pick up an intact replacement if such thing was available.

One potentially neat way to model battle damage to obsidian weapons would be to have them turn into wooden weapons after ~ half a dozen blows against armor or shields.

Speaking of obsidian, it seems possible that it's tendency to fracture dispite it's theoretical hardness is caused by it's non-crystalline structure, which is the same quality that enables it to have sharp edge. I couldn't find any direct confirmation, however.

Couple of wiki links on the subject:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conchoidal_fracture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_solid

For comparison, typical structures found in iron and steel, like ferrite and martensite both display crystalline structure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrite_(iron)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martensite

I haven't yet found anything that would indicate that bronze has smaller grain structure than iron and steel though. It may be notable that bronze doesn't seem to be considered an alternate for precision cutting implements, such as for scapels.

They were actually used by Aztecs though. In fact most of the Aztec obsidian weaponry was made using similar method, that is attaching obsidian flakes to the sockets at the "edge" of the weapon. They had swords, clubs (axes would be closest equivalent), spears, arrows and javelins made in such manner.

(Edit) I found informative article on glass: http://www.roymech.co.uk/Useful_Tables/Matter/Glass.html

Among other thing, glass seems to have tensile stength in the range of 27000-62000 KPa (some modern varieties are much stronger in this regard). However they still seem to have similar hardness to obsidian. So it seems that hardness and tensile strength have an extremely different relation as far as amorphous solids go. As such, the tensile value of 2 million KPa I posted for obsidian a while back is false.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 04:19:22 pm by Dwarfoloid »

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk/

This site is very promising... I don't have time to look through it right now, but there might be some pertinent information regarding the physical characteristics of obsidian and similar materials.

hermano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A bit offtopic, but reading those wiki articles the reactions for bronze and bismuth bronze seem quite off. As a game mechanic thats okay, but if it is meant to be realistic the tin content of bronze is much to high. According to the wiki bismuth bronze does not contain tin, but nickel, zinc and lead. And only 1% bismuth.

On topic: Keep on searching, your findings and the articles are really interesting.

Taverius

• Bay Watcher
  • Curly says go!
    • View Profile

Iron age sword from Waltham Abbey, UK, Core: 550000 Edge: 827000.

Can I stop at this point to say WOW? I was not expecting that kind of figures from 2000 year old non quenched rod of iron. Not to mention I picked that because it seemed to have rather average properities for late iron age and low to non-existant carbon content. There was a harder iron age sword there...
Work hardening and careful forging goes a long way.

Just like with modern steel, the material isn't nearly as important to the product quality as the skill and techniques of the maker. You can take a billet of VascoWear and still make a godawful blade, but I've seen people make blades out of low-grade rebar which would pass master-level qualification tests.

... I'm only an apprentice blade-smith, but already my knives are far superior to anything factory-made as far as sharpness, edge retention and durability. My first ever knife has some half-coins inset in the handle, which I split by putting them between the blade and wood black, and the hammering on the blade with a branch ...

... so its really not that surprising that a blade made by skilled, dedicated workers from an age where they were active weapons of war is able to put on a good show, now is it? :)

Quote from: Dwarfoloid link=topic=55348.msg1203091#msg1203091   date=1272402279
I now truly understand what they mean when they say that stainless steel sucks for swords.
... because chromium up the wazoo means huge crystalline structures. Everything else being equal (and according to current blade metallurgy, which is still 50% alchemy) the coarser the grain structure is, the weaker the steel.

One of the main things you have to be careful of when forging is that as you heat the steel, the crystalline structure grows, so if you heat an area again and again without hitting with your hammer, it   will be noticeably weaker that the area close by you were presumably   working on.

The difference is visible with the naked eye when doing a break test - and also appears on tests on differentially-quenched blades, whether achieved by clay-coating or partial quench - the fine parts look like velvet, and the coarse like fine sand.

In this sense, stainless is suffering from excessive crystalline structure growth right from the start, and the higher the chromium content the worse it is. There are powder-casting techniques to make stainless with small grains, but I've digressed enough.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

VDOgamez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Obsidian swords, at least those used in Central America before European colonization, (most famously by the Aztecs) were not made like most metal swords. They consisted of a central part made of wood, with rows of prismatic blades down two opposite sides.  Notably, these could be used as both swords and clubs. The core was often something similar to a wooden sword, or sometimes other shapes. The swords came in one-handed and two-handed types, the smaller a meter in length, and the longer, supposedly, around two meters. These were extremely effective, and were able to decapitate a horse.

As for other obsidian weapons, spears were also very commonly made with tips made in a similar way to the swords (wood with prismatic blades inset) and used as polearms. Obsidian-barbed arrows were also used in these cultures. Interestingly, the Aztecs also had a kind of cloth armor that was resistant to obsidian weapons.

Personally, I think obsidian weapons should be somewhat different in the game. Actually, it's interesting that a bug right now causes producing obsidian swords to yield wooden swords, which could be used as the core of an obsidian sword.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

Actually, I don't think that it's been determined weather that's a bug or not. (Or, more precisely, if it's a display bug or a material bug.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4