Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civ accessible resources  (Read 1846 times)

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civ accessible resources
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:55:05 pm »

I think this was asked before, but:

The wiki mentions on several occasions that the type of items the dwarfs bring in their caravans depends on what is available to the civ. Is it possible to influence what your civ has access to? For instance, if I uncover an adamantin vain, and retire the fort, will I be able to buy raw adamantin in the next fort?
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
Re: Civ accessible resources
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 12:16:35 am »

No. I don't think selling to traders will unlock it either. You'd have to manually mod the expedition items. You can, however, mine it, make an item, retire the fort, make a new fort, retire the second fort, put your adamantium on an adventurer, travel to the second fort, retire your adventurer, unretire your second fort, and you'll have an adamantium-equipped adventurer as a new citizen plus whatever you dropped in the site as an adventurer.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 03:56:17 am »

A properly working economy is in the distant development plans.

Grand Sage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:54:58 am »

So civ accessible resources are determined at world gen? Could someone who actually understands the mechanics ad that bit to the wiki, either the caravan or the civilisation page?

thx :)
Dwarf Fortress: This feature has one or more outstanding bugs. Please visit the Bugs section for details.

And I drank the mosquito paste

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:22:52 am »

As i understand it, civs have a list of 'discovered' resources in each applicable biome that 'reads' the world tile they are on and the adjacent area for things like minerals, animals wood & plants basically reading all the raw data and stacking it up into what it can and can't use via its entity RAW's. Market towns (fortress, dark tower, forest retreat, towns) are the main resource checking areas and the staple sites, while hamlets etc smaller settlements trade their local resources with the market town adding to it.

If the market town collapses (lets say due to a megabeast attack) the objects are lost from the trade goods.

I've tried, & concluded that player fortresses do not affect the economy (or atleast wont until the economy arc) when they are retired as no new goods will appear afterwards because its not recognized as a same entity site as the 'main' civilization despite being under its control. Domesticating animals only happens in worldgeneration however, as its not possible to raise the civilisation's pet knowledge to that level with newly tamed animals (even if you have a extensive history of taming them)

Exporting objects doesn't actually deliver items to your civilisation, instead the merchants from what i've seen work as a middleman who regulates value, so exporting 10 domesticated animals in a cage or more won't affect the civilisation's knowledge, though artifacts are now gifted in the new version.

Quote from: In short
The only way to access 'more materials' is to mod your dwarven civilisation to have more scope & embark upon more territory so that they can aquire more resources, plus also keeping them alive, most of it is down to chance and world placement.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:24:32 am by FantasticDorf »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 03:35:22 pm »

If I recall, it used to be that once you sold something to the dwarven caravan, they'd be able to bring it to your fort to trade in future years. I'm not sure that's still the case. The most notable instance of this was the guy who sold his caravan a minecart full of lava and had the future caravans show up with lava for sale. In barrels.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 04:04:24 pm »

Yep they do, its often to the bottom of the list highlighted in yellow to indicate it was made by you, but the merchants don't really constitute a 'economy' per say.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 11:00:35 am »

One exception to the non-availability rule seems to be new books written at your fort, though. That knowledge does spread.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 10:19:06 am »

One exception to the non-availability rule seems to be new books written at your fort, though. That knowledge does spread.

Books & artifacts are tracked, so they might have enough historical significance to not be sucked into a void where the rest of the trade goods go (rather than appearing on your home civ's shops or in their houses)

That'd be a good thing to test actually, make 1000's of the same identical product you can recognise and zip into adventure mode to see if they appear in your civilisation's markets. Or simply export a large amount of masterworks which have tracability (those ones might actually appear)

Purdurabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 10:43:48 am »

It would seem like caravans just look for what books are common at the time and has a chance to create copies of them to sell you.

Just I tried a necro fort recently and with a very early embark where I had a single necro dwarf who was in a locked room copying our necro book. Then once i had a few dozen copies (making my necro book the most prolific book in the world) every trade caravan arrived with necro books to sell . Every further embark in that world also had the trade caravans bring necro books.