Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can minecarts pass through tiles with axles?  (Read 1375 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can minecarts pass through tiles with axles?
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:58:42 pm »

What the title says. Can they?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Can minecarts pass through tiles with axles?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 07:10:35 pm »

I don't know - why don't you try it and let us know what happens?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:48:02 pm »

I seem to recall a minecart passing through a gear assembly before, so I would think that they could. There's also the fact that axles can be built on minecart tracks in the first place. However, I don't want to build the contraption I have in mind and then have to tear everything down again, so I'll see if anyone else knows the answer for me.

EDIT: Can confirm, that yes, minecarts can pass through tiles with axles.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:18:37 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 07:54:42 am »

Man, I am still kinda getting used to axles and gears, I barely touch minecarts in my forts. Good luck with your project! If its interesting share the results.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 01:36:41 pm »

What the title says. Can they?

I believe they do so, just like they allegedly pass through statues (which also allows you to stop dwarves and animals taking shortcuts through the metro system).

Man, I am still kinda getting used to axles and gears, I barely touch minecarts in my forts. Good luck with your project! If its interesting share the results.

The first time I worked with mechanisms, in my second fortress, in DF2010, I tried to hook up an axle to a floodgate. Then I realised I didn't need to do so, and it was opened by action at a distance using levers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:38:20 pm by CaptainArchmage »
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.