Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Of Caverns And Beasts  (Read 1899 times)

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
Of Caverns And Beasts
« on: April 28, 2010, 01:33:02 pm »

I've just started digging for the first time to the MagmaSea and when I reached Cavern #2 I found something odd.
Unspoiler'd.

A single inhabitant of what should be more dangerous than the cavern before it. Cavern #1 only had a Giant Olm. The general area is listed as Neutral, cavern 2 is listed as neutral, Gorlaks cave is listed as Good.

So this has now got me thinking... Can Caverns have biomes seperate to the embarked upon land? IE A Good Biome hidden under a Evil Biome?

I'm presuming Gorlak is a Megabeast of some sort as there is signs of Giant Spiders existing, but no longer present. Is there anyway of tracing his history?

I'll keep an eye on Gorlak, perhaps even try to introduce him to Dwarf Life.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 01:38:04 pm by Xzalander »
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Of Caverns And Beasts
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:35:08 pm »

Is there anyway of tracing his history?
I've never done it myself, but I believe you can make a copy of your savegame, abandon the fortress, and look him up in Legends mode.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:37:15 pm »

Pretty sure gorlaks are harmless-ish. Definitely not a megabeast. The GCS just wandered out on its own.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:38:52 pm »

actually, i believe a Gorlak is simply a type of underground creature, since i have one living in a cage right now. what I'd be more concerned about is the fact that this one is living in MAGMA!!!
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 01:40:18 pm »

Pretty sure gorlaks are harmless-ish. Definitely not a megabeast. The GCS just wandered out on its own.

Wandered out where though? Theres no other exits beyond the one I created just now and as we all know, I'd have dead Dorfs if it went out that way.
Only thing I can think of is :

1.Starvation - However Gorlak would be dead too.
2.Murder - Gorlak got violent? - However Gorlaks seem to always run away.

Also Wolfe thats just Clay Loam.

I'm going to hit legends though to see if theres any clues on why theres literally only him in the cavern.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 01:41:46 pm »

it probably wandered off the side of the map. or the silk came pre-spawned, with no GCS around
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:42:38 pm »

If the caverns reach the edge of the map wildlife will wander onto the map just like they do above ground.

You can check the raws for the underground wildlife, but they are full of spoilers for obvious reasons.

The deeper you dig the nastier the creatures get too. In the first cavern things are relatively tame. By the time you hit the third cavern you can run into things like
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Dig deeper even still and then the !!FUN!! begins.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:38 pm »

If the caverns reach the edge of the map wildlife will wander onto the map just like they do above ground.

I didn't know they could do that (underground anyway). So there's every chance that I could have a few GCS wander back into the cavern?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:44 pm »

Have you actually sent down scouting parties to confirm that there are no giant cave spiders, or are you just going by the fact that there are webs, but no visible spiders?

Because GCS have a nasty habit of remaining completely invisible until something is directly adjacent to it.

And yeah, gorlaks are just little dudes who run about the underground.  They're quite harmless, and are noticeably smaller than dwarves.  They're mildly intelligent though, so they can learn and speak.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 01:57:07 pm »

Have you actually sent down scouting parties to confirm that there are no giant cave spiders, or are you just going by the fact that there are webs, but no visible spiders?

Because GCS have a nasty habit of remaining completely invisible until something is directly adjacent to it.

And yeah, gorlaks are just little dudes who run about the underground.  They're quite harmless, and are noticeably smaller than dwarves.  They're mildly intelligent though, so they can learn and speak.

I sent down an Axe and Crossbow Dorf to just scout out all the blacked areas. And nada. I'll soon find out if there is any GCS hiding in a corner.. I've sent the masons in  :P

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 02:38:28 pm »

I didn't know they could do that (underground anyway). So there's every chance that I could have a few GCS wander back into the cavern?

GCS's are now regular creatures that can wander onto or off of the map, just like trolls, trogs, elkbirds, and the rest of them. It works identical to above ground creatures such as wolves, deer, and hoary marmots.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 03:47:58 pm »

If it was a titan (forgotten beast, to be exact), it would be called that.

And yes, stuff does wander into caves from off the map... it's kinda cool actually.

By the way, I've done the "copy the save folder, rename it, abandon the fortress in it, then check legends" thing and it works great!

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 04:21:49 pm »

Yeah I started to panic when i saw two Blind Ogres wander into my 2nd cavern. Luckily all the shafts I made arent accessible by foot, and to stop the fliers I can "Flush the loo" so to speak.