Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Seperate seed and harvest stocks

(1/2) > >>

Bobv2:
It would be a lot easier if I could keep all of my seed barrels right next to my farms instead of my growers having to go to the dining room to get seeds. Also, a harvest pile where farmers would put their harvested crops for haulers to take down to permanent food stores. The harvest pile would not use barrels (use cats, maybe you could train cats at the kennel and you could assign them to curtain stocks?) because this would cause half full barrels to be moved all over the place.

On the note of farming it would be a lot better if farmers would prioritize harvesting crops over planting seeds as a labor option.

Edit: Wrong section, woo tabs.

Duane:
Custom Stockpiles make this surprisingly simple. :D

Hamster Man:
Yes - you can customize a stockpile by assigning it as "Food", press Q, then change the [ s]ettings for it. [ b]lock everything except for Seeds (just select it and hit Enter).
Do the reverse for harvested goods stockpile.

Bobv2:

--- Quote from: Hamster Man on April 24, 2010, 07:25:20 pm ---Yes - you can customize a stockpile by assigning it as "Food", press Q, then change the [ s]ettings for it. [ b]lock everything except for Seeds (just select it and hit Enter).
Do the reverse for harvested goods stockpile.

--- End quote ---

Oh, thanks. I was looking in the custom stockpile of the piles menu.

Is there a way to get my farmers to harvest first and plant second?

jjdorf:

--- Quote from: Bobv2 on April 24, 2010, 07:16:50 pm ---It would be a lot easier if I could keep all of my seed barrels right next to my farms instead of my growers having to go to the dining room to get seeds.
--- End quote ---

I also enable Potash on my seeds stockpile.  Since I use that crematorium mod, I have no vermin remains and tons of ash, so cats are actually useful for farming in my fortresses.

Once Toady fixes the "take from stockpile" bug, we'll be able to prioritize stockpiles again.  Until then, setting take from stockpile on a stockpile causes dorfs to waste time.

I do agree that it would be nice for harvesting to occur before planting more seeds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version