Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Adamantine aphrodisiac?

(1/4) > >>

Proteus:
Could it  be that adamantine acts as aphrodisiac in 0.31?

My dwarven fortress had no marriages. Then, during  the last half of the first year (or the first  half of the 2nd one)  a cavern collapse near the magma pool led to the  discovery of  adamantine.
In the month therafter suddenly one marriage after another happened (resulting in ~10 married couples).
Well, it seemws like they  also  procreate like rabbits.
We have now ~1.5 years and already 19 babies (which is ~20% of the population). The married dwarven women seemto be  in a constant state of pregnancy

Shardok:
Were you doing anything specific with it to make all your dwarves happy? Because I seem to recall mention somewhere of Dwarves marrying only if they are at the right happiness amount or higher.

Lytha:
No, it's not an aphrodisiacum. It is more likely that your dwarves had not enough work to do for a while when the cave collapsed. They got to know each other and married each other.

19 babies for 10 couples is a bit extreme, but nothing unusual. This  happens with or without Adamantine. With 9 months of pregnancy and babyhood lasting for 1 year, it's pretty much normal that dwarf women run around with 2 babies on their arms for 3 months/year.

The only way to slow down the upcoming population explosion that your fortress is facing is by editing your init.txt. Look for the baby/child cap and set it to something reasonable. Right. Now.

Else you're looking at 10 dwarf women being constantly pregnant and ~100 annoying children 10 years from now. Population explosions of that kind are not fun at all. I interfered much too late in my megaproject fortress and they still have about 45 children running around, blocking the passages, dropping the FPS and consuming the booze. But it's better now. It was 12 working adults and ~70 children for a while. Now it's 40 idlers, 5 working adults, and 45 children.

Proteus:

--- Quote from: Shardok on April 25, 2010, 06:52:09 am ---Were you doing anything specific with it to make all your dwarves happy? Because I seem to recall mention somewhere of Dwarves marrying only if they are at the right happiness amount or higher.

--- End quote ---

Nope, the adamantine is out of reach for me (the collapse happened in a part of the cavern which is visible, but not yet covered by my mining tunnels).
It seems to be purely the dicovery of the adamantine which  made  them  sex-crazy :D

Proteus:

--- Quote from: Lytha on April 25, 2010, 06:58:33 am ---No, it's not an aphrodisiacum. It is more likely that your dwarves had not enough work to do for a while when the cave collapsed. They got to know each other and married each other.

19 babies for 10 couples is a bit extreme, but nothing unusual. This  happens with or without Adamantine. With 9 months of pregnancy and babyhood lasting for 1 year, it's pretty much normal that dwarf women run around with 2 babies on their arms for 3 months/year.

The only way to slow down the upcoming population explosion that your fortress is facing is by editing your init.txt. Look for the baby/child cap and set it to something reasonable. Right. Now.

Else you're looking at 10 dwarf women being constantly pregnant and ~100 annoying children 10 years from now. Population explosions of that kind are not fun at all. I interfered much too late in my megaproject fortress and they still have about 45 children running around, blocking the passages, dropping the FPS and consuming the booze. But it's better now. It was 12 working adults and ~70 children for a while. Now it's 40 idlers, 5 working adults, and 45 children.

--- End quote ---

Yes, I  fear so, that those kids could become a burden.
On the other hand I hope that Toady will release 31.04 within 1-2 weeks,
so chances are high that I won´t play this fortress for too long.
(either this, or the fortress succumbs to a goblin invasion,
due to the fact that marksdwarves are buggy right now and won´t shoot at goblin invaders,
even if they have a quiver full of  bolts)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version