Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dark Heresy on IRC Reborn -- Recruiting  (Read 4273 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Dark Heresy on IRC Reborn -- Recruiting
« on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:03 pm »

Some of you may remember a semi-recent Dark Heresy game I tried to run on IRC.  I really liked the idea, and I liked the characters, but time issues ended up wangling everything up.  Like I said though, I think it had potential and I'm getting into that kind of mood, so I'd like to recycle the campaign and try again. 

Dark Heresy and 40k are popular enough on here that I'm not going to go into huge detail.  The players are acolytes in the service of an Inquisitor, and tasked with rooting out heresy and alien and demonic influence.  As agents of the Inquisition, you have a huge degree of power if you wave your status around, but that will also call attention to you.  Bad guys will go to ground fast if they know the inquisition is around, and that'll make it hard to do your job.  The game is a mix of investigation, roleplay, and combat, though combat tends to be pretty lethal so you should be careful.

The actual campaign isn't going to be episodic or of indeterminate length or anything like that, it's a specific arc.  Once it's finished we're done, but it's pretty long and subject to change so who knows!  Depending on how it ends there may be openings for a new campaign building on this one.  I'm not going to give much information beforehand, except that you'll need a good mix of investigation, combat, and social skills if you want to succeed and the stakes are pretty high if you fail.

I'm looking for four or five people, basic starting characters.  You can make a character at suptg but there's more stuff you'll have to do, we can handle most of that in game.  It'd be best if you knew the rules and had some form of access to the core book.  Knowledge about the 40k setting is also useful though a lot of stuff is forbidden knowledge a new acolyte wouldn't know.  Your inquisitor won't tell you most things, you don't know any of the chaos gods, what tyranids are, or anything like that.

I want to be a little more strict this time though.  I'm going to ask that you know how to play Dark Heresy, and that you have access to the rules.  If you don't want to buy them, I don't blame you, they're seriously overpriced.  I still want you to have access to the rules, though.  WE WILL NOT DISCUSS HOW WE GOT THE RULEBOOKS.  PERIOD.  DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL.

Knowing the setting isn't quite as necessary but it's a good idea.  40k has an ambiance to it that you gotta get into.  If you don't know the background to a starting package (e.g. Divine Light of Sollex, Astral Knives) in character generation, I suggest you look it up and decide if it works for your character, or don't use it.  They have impact on how you should RP your character.

I'll give some info for you guys to use making your character backstories.  You don't have to write a novel but Dark Heresy isn't as heavy on combat as D&D so you should be ready to do some roleplaying.

Your Inquisitor is Alaric Kaltos, in the Ordo Hereticus, which is charged with rooting out heretics.  For those who aren't too familiar with 40k, heresy is anything from denouncing the God-Emperor or perverting His cult (This gets a little fuzzy on feral worlds, where clerics usually syncretize Emperor worship with the local tribal religions, leading to a lot of weirdness that may or may not be deemed heresy by Inquisitors), to the mind-rust of the Mechanicus (Scientific progress is arch-heresy), or really anything else an Inquisitor decides is against the Emperor's will.  They're also the ones who hunt down rogue psykers, sorcerers, and the like.  The other main branches are the Ordo Xenos, which fights alien influence, and the Ordo Malleus, which fights daemons.  There are more, but they're smaller and more specialized, and don't have as much influence as the big three.

Alaric himself has a monastic compound on the moon of an Agri-world called Hesiod's Wake where he stays when he isn't killing witches, and where acolytes stay and are trained.  That's where you are.  Alaric's area of expertise and focus is mainly seditious activity, and he works closely with the adeptus arbites, a paramilitary police force that ensures all planets pay their tithe to the Imperium.  He's a realist, knows he can't stop every villain, and generally doesn't act unless you're brazenly heretical or causing serious harm, especially economic harm.  Some say he lacks the fire of a proper Inquisitor.

Your characters may have similarly blase attitudes toward minor crimes, or you might be filled with righteous hatred, or you might be somewhere in between.  The Inquisitor only cares that the job gets done.  You could be from Hesiod's Wake or somewhere else, and you can know some of the other acolytes from before the campaign started.

I'll post more as I think of it.  My schedule is pretty constrained, but there are plenty of good spots for a game.  10PM GMT (5PM Eastern) or later is basically required.  Tuesday and Thursday are a no-go.  Monday and Wednesday are iffy.  Friday and Saturday are the best bets, Sunday is probably doable though.  If you want to join, say when you're available and we'll figure something out.

Strike the heretic!
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Heresy on IRC Reborn -- Recruiting
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:22 pm »

Reserved.
Shoes...

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 05:45:35 pm »

I feel like I am in too many games already... still, tempted...

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:26:02 am »

This seems interesting. I've always been a fan of Warhammer, and now I'm searching for a PDF of the Dark Heresy Rulebook (because I don't think they sell it anymore, and they don't sell these kinds of things in Hong Kong anyway.) How many players will there be?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 12:31:24 pm »

I would be interested in playing this. Friday would likely be my best day. I would likely be able to do Sunday, but it would be less optimal. Monday and Wednesday would be okay, so third and fourth choices. Sunday would be okay, but it would have to be quite a bit later.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 06:49:51 pm »

I can do Friday, but I come home late, around 7 to 8, but Saturday is probably the best for me. Sunday, I can only do it in the afternoon.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

NothingOfValue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2013, 06:12:37 am »

Oh wow, it's cthulhu! I remember playing dark heresy through MSN with you and some other bay12'ers a while ago! I can't remember the forum name I used to go by (Poonhat maybe?) but I actually recently made a thread inquiring about such things! I'd definitely be interested but unfortunately my schedule is also a bit constrained with my current job. for me, i'm not free on wednesdays, thursdays or fridays, but i'm usually good to go every other saturday, most sundays, mondays, and tuesdays, although I have an IRL tabletop game group I play with, as well as friends i do stuff with, i may be able to swing it as well, if you still need people.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 06:40:06 am »

I'm interested, but because lack of computer (I recently tried out playing over my phone... Not very efficient) I can't really make any commitments. Still, I thought I'd sign up as willing in case you have any drop outs later or such.

Good luck!
Love, scriver~

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 10:52:34 am »

Do...want...

I've never played before, but I've got access to a rule book.

I think I'll be a techpriest or a psyker. Someone weird.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 07:33:40 pm »

Bump?
I made a character...this still a thing?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.