Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The Magmawiki Project  (Read 33237 times)

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magmawiki Project
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2010, 12:35:10 am »

Some form of true anonymity or hidden identity is always a positive thing (assuming it doesn't preclude bans in the event of spamming/vandalism).

Currently what we're doing is a type of hash on IP addresses. For instance, my IP address becomes "metalinguistic precompleteness killdee". Our word lists need improvement. The goal is phrases like "lovely yellow garden".
It'd be more entertaining if you just threw in the words from the dwarven dictionary and got stuff like "Bronzebasements the Ugly Sword." But beggars can't be choosers. :P

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2010, 12:39:04 am »

Well we want shorter and simpler words, because they're easier to remember and tend to flow more nicely.

The main problem with the current dictionary is that it includes a number of bad words, allowing for things like "detective f***up f***wit".

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2010, 01:25:32 am »

Some form of true anonymity or hidden identity is always a positive thing (assuming it doesn't preclude bans in the event of spamming/vandalism).

What do you mean by that?  Like the ability to edit anonymously?  I think that's a definite good thing, but I know in the current wiki editing anonymously means you leave your IP address, which is hardly "anonymous" in fact making an account is more anonymous because only the admins can see your IP then.
I was thinking merely something like a checkbox on your account settings causing you to be listed as anonymous in the changelogs and whatnot. It's not really super crucial, especially in something like a wiki, but it's still a positive option, and I prefer anonymity for philosophical reasons.

Currently what we're doing is a type of hash on IP addresses. For instance, my IP address becomes "metalinguistic precompleteness killdee". Our word lists need improvement. The goal is phrases like "lovely yellow garden".
An elegant solution. You might be interested in the dictionary used by ponychan, which produces such phrases as "Floating Sugar", "Renegade Sweety Lily", "Mystic Silver Prancer", "Jingling Bubbles", and "White Flash Petal". I'm sure I could get ahold of it if you wanted it. But I have no knowledge of how dictionaries work, so they may be incompatible, and even if they're not, it may be too small since I believe it was written from scratch for an April Fools joke.
Well we want shorter and simpler words, because they're easier to remember and tend to flow more nicely.

The main problem with the current dictionary is that it includes a number of bad words, allowing for things like "detective f***up f***wit".
I'd actually recommend using the wordlist from DF, seeing as this wiki is sort of intended for DF purposes. Most of us are used to names like "Dodok the Radiantsword of Fish". Of course, making this work could end up being too much work.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2010, 02:19:44 pm »

The new footer div has several problems:
- It doesn't have any padding, and the "last modified" text is jammed against the bottom
- It's being overlaid on the page content, which means that when you Ctrl+F a long page, the highlighted result (which is typically at the bottom of the page) is hidden behind the div.  Maybe the main content div needs a bottom margin or something?

NobbZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2010, 02:47:31 pm »

Which Theme and which Browser are you using, I dont have any problems (magmawiki theme and FFwin 3.6.3)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2010, 02:55:46 pm »

Skin: MonoBook
Browser: Firefox 3.6, Windows

Firebug seems to be telling me that div#footer is having its properties set in both MediaWiki:Monobook.css and /skins/monobook/main.css, which seems unusual.

Using the Magmawiki skin, the "Last Modified" text doesn't have the margin problem because there doesn't seem to be any "Last Modified" text.  And I'm still getting the problem with the footer hiding stuff at the bottom of the page.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:59:31 pm by Footkerchief »

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2010, 02:57:38 pm »

The last modified text is disabled in the new skin, so it was a matter of me being lazy last night that it's jammed like that.

The finding thing, as it stands, a little hard to fix, but you should be able to just scroll down slightly. When a page is completely scrolled to the bottom there is padding such that the footer should never cover anything up. It may be a bit inconvenient, but right now it's the best we can do.

The two css files makes sense, because the process of "tacking" the footer to the bottom happened through the software interface rather than by editing the actual files on the server.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2010, 03:05:53 pm »

The finding thing, as it stands, a little hard to fix, but you should be able to just scroll down slightly.

I know I can scroll down.  Having to do that every time, especially when I'm looking for multiple matches, kind of sucks.

When a page is completely scrolled to the bottom there is padding such that the footer should never cover anything up. It may be a bit inconvenient, but right now it's the best we can do.

Can't you just put a bottom margin on the main div so that they don't overlap?  Or something?  My CSS is pretty bad so I don't know if that works.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 03:22:54 pm by Footkerchief »

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2010, 03:08:21 pm »

Well I fixed the last modifed text stuff, and...

No. Because the main div extends usually longer than someone can see on an entire page. I'll have to look into this problem some more, because my guess is there's some trick that'll work for at least some of the cooler browsers.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2010, 03:25:04 pm »

Well I fixed the last modifed text stuff, and...

Cool, looks much better.

No. Because the main div extends usually longer than someone can see on an entire page. I'll have to look into this problem some more, because my guess is there's some trick that'll work for at least some of the cooler browsers.

There's probably some trick, yeah, but if not, is keeping the footer at the bottom of the screen really important enough to warrant impeding Ctrl+F?

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2010, 03:29:06 pm »

At least for the time being it is. We're trying to get a baseline on different types of ads. And so we want the button ads to appear in a uniform place between skins (because that's important when considering how that ad systems bidding mechanism works).

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:28 pm »

Is there an option to turn off that annoying footer? or will I have to use the custom css options?

Edit: I couldn't find one so I used custom css. I still like the monobook style the most out of all of them. Possibly just because I'm used to the side bar, but then I fine that easier to use and a lot of the styles don't have it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 04:29:54 pm by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:43 pm »

Is there an option to turn off that annoying footer? or will I have to use the custom css options?

Thanks for reminding me I can use Adblock to make the wiki usable again!  This filter removes the footer: df.magmawiki.com#div(footer)

You could probably also use a Greasemonkey script or something.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 05, 2010, 05:27:42 pm »

I guess I'm not sure why the footer needs to be like it is?  Why can't it just be at the bottom?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 05, 2010, 07:35:58 pm »

I guess I'm not sure why the footer needs to be like it is?  Why can't it just be at the bottom?

This was Emi's explanation:

We're trying to get a baseline on different types of ads. And so we want the button ads to appear in a uniform place between skins (because that's important when considering how that ad systems bidding mechanism works).

I don't quite get it either, though, since the bottom (of the page, not just the window) seems plenty uniform.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9