Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: The Magmawiki Project  (Read 33228 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magmawiki Project
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2010, 09:09:33 pm »

One issue: The ad on bottom covers up the last of the banner if you scroll down.

(is it possible to store the ad that permenantly covers the bottom of the screen in a container, and put a copy of that container at the end of the normal page?, that should stop the over-run.)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2010, 06:09:12 am »

We're trying to get a baseline on different types of ads. And so we want the button ads to appear in a uniform place between skins (because that's important when considering how that ad systems bidding mechanism works).

I don't quite get it either, though, since the bottom (of the page, not just the window) seems plenty uniform.

Why not put bottom of page ads across all skins (as opposed to bottom of window)?  As it is a floating bar like that is very distracting considering it has nothing useful on it.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2010, 01:52:05 pm »

A better solution in terms of visual appearance for the placement of that footer would be to put the main body in a div with overflow: auto; and then the footer in it's own div below that.  Then set the height of the main body via javascript at page load and on window resize to be such that the footer will sit at the bottom of the window.  This effectively simulates doing layout with frames.

Problem with that though is it requires javascript instead of just pure css.
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2010, 05:28:39 pm »

Problem with that though is it requires javascript instead of just pure css.
If Javascript is disabled, no ads will be visible anyway.  There goes your reason for wanting the footer to be always displayed the same way....

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2010, 07:31:25 pm »

As I've mentioned elsewhere, the number of ads will be decreasing in a few days, we just need to get the baseline for comparison so we can maximize what the ads make for the annoyance they cause, the reason for this is that Briess (Locriani) still pays quite a bit out of pocket to host the wiki.

We'd really appreciate it if you'd wait to do these css changes and such for just a few more days, as these things really mess with the baseline.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2010, 03:16:11 am »

I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isnor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2010, 01:20:19 pm »

The DF wiki is redirecting to Google for me today :S

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2010, 01:58:11 pm »

It really shouldn't be. I'll sic Briess on it later. Chances are though it's something about your computer or ISP.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2010, 02:04:12 pm »

We would like to get comments on this design:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dwarf_Fortress_Wiki:Magmawiki/Emmys_Talk_Forum_Mockup
Well, it's very different, and me being of the ornery traditionalist sort, that makes me quite apprehensive. However, I like that each conversation is kept as a separate thread, and that there can thus be a separate talk index. That is a step forward of magnitude such that all other concerns become quite minor.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:45 pm »

The DF wiki is redirecting to Google for me today :S

I've looked at everything I possibly can, and I don't see anything that would cause this.  Can you provide me some more information?
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2010, 11:26:57 pm »

Is it possible to limit the random page function? While I do occasionally want to see random factoids about DF that expand my knowledge, I don't like wading through various mods and player stories.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2010, 06:38:35 pm »

Is it possible to limit the random page function? While I do occasionally want to see random factoids about DF that expand my knowledge, I don't like wading through various mods and player stories.

Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of the Magmawiki engine, not with anything having to do with the current dwarf fortress wiki engine.

I've finished the basics of user login and logout, as well as language selection.  We still need help with designing other skins, if you're artistically inclined.  We also have additional projects you could assist with if you are interested.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2010, 06:49:25 pm »

Let's try to keep this thread on the topic of the Magmawiki engine, not with anything having to do with the current dwarf fortress wiki engine
Presumably he was asking if it would be possible to do this in the new engine. Indeed, it strikes me as a somewhat helpful feature to be able to filter "Random" results, though it's not really hugely important for any purpose.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2010, 07:50:44 pm »

Presumably he was asking if it would be possible to do this in the new engine. Indeed, it strikes me as a somewhat helpful feature to be able to filter "Random" results, though it's not really hugely important for any purpose.
My misunderstanding.  I have it listed somewhere in my notes (possibly not online) as a feature for magmawiki, thus I assumed the query was pertaining to the mediawiki engine.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9