Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: The Magmawiki Project  (Read 32992 times)

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magmawiki Project
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2010, 06:05:46 pm »

Yeah I'm sure there will be. Though the python and ruby sandboxing (for templates and such) is going to be a pain for most people to set up I fear.

Assuming you sandbox in some kind of virtual machine couldn't you just place a copy somewhere? All nicely setup then :)

Well it's not a matter of a virtual machine. That's more complicated (in some ways), but mainly more resource intensive than we'd want it to be. Look up restricted python (if I remember correctly), that'll explain.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2010, 10:32:25 pm »

I'd love to use the newer wiki engine to help support development myself on my own community. Will there be instructions or anything to help others set it up once it's in a more stable form?

Yeah, once we get to version .4 or so (that's when most of the core features will be in place), I'll make sure to set up a detailed installation guide.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2010, 02:12:02 am »

Well it's not a matter of a virtual machine. That's more complicated (in some ways), but mainly more resource intensive than we'd want it to be. Look up restricted python (if I remember correctly), that'll explain.

I meant for development not for deployment. You shouldn't have resource issues during development. I started using vm's for everything web/service related since the beeb opened my eyes to how effective it was. I'd really recommend it if you normally have a local sandbox. Also handy if your team size changes as you just give them a new copy of the vm and they are ready to go :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2010, 08:20:34 am »

I meant for development not for deployment. You shouldn't have resource issues during development. I started using vm's for everything web/service related since the beeb opened my eyes to how effective it was. I'd really recommend it if you normally have a local sandbox. Also handy if your team size changes as you just give them a new copy of the vm and they are ready to go :)

This is not something we've done, although it's a very good idea.  I'll play around with this sometime later this afternoon, once I'm done with today's meetings. (WTB secretary!)
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2010, 11:10:03 am »

The most obvious DF specific feature would be a raw file importer that filled in property values automatically wherever possible. Ideally long term the raw files would have enough detail to make much of the user documentation self-generating.
That's true, but on the other hand, the a good user-written article is still better then a generated one.

I could understand that it would be useful to make sure there aren't any missing articles(a stand-in), but I wouldn't want a generated work to become the final result.

If this is done, it could allow mods to quickly establish Wiki pages that actually showed what they modded. Might be useful to some.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2010, 02:58:32 am »

If this is done, it could allow mods to quickly establish Wiki pages that actually showed what they modded. Might be useful to some.

I assume something like this is done for the Raw Files section of the wiki currently?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2010, 06:23:03 am »

I assume something like this is done for the Raw Files section of the wiki currently?

Vengefuldonut has set up some templates using the (very buggy, as he has complained to me) regex extensions on the wiki.  We'll have the capability to do similar on magmawiki once we have our templating system in place.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 01:40:03 pm »

As for "the current software is fine"... it really isn't. We've had to do so many workarounds and spend a lot of time trying to get mediawiki to do what we need, all without heavily modding to the point where we can no longer upgrade to newer versions. There are also several things (like limiting the random page button to a specific namespace) that people have asked for that we just can't do.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Special:Random/DF2010

:D

Edit - Fixed link

Err, I meant a subset of namespaces. So like df2010 and 40d but not the rest. But you knew that.

Well sure having random go to only 40d and DF2010 would be nice, but we could also add these links on the sidebar:

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Special:Random/DF2010
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Special:Random/40d

I contemplated that, and eventually decided to wait and see if there was more demand for something like that.

Vengefuldonut has set up some templates using the (very buggy, as he has complained to me) regex extensions on the wiki.  We'll have the capability to do similar on magmawiki once we have our templating system in place.

Yeah, I looked into that and even with an understanding of regex, and (imo) a fairly good understanding of mediawiki syntax that was impossible to go through.  I commend him for doing SOMETHING, but it'd be much nicer if the system supported doing this without such obscure code, so others could more easily assist.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 01:44:53 pm by Mason11987 »

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2010, 12:37:11 pm »

deeply nested quote and stuff
Exactly.  The templates mentioned are in fact one of the reasons I decided to start working on this project. (I don't mean the templates aren't useful or awesome; however, because of limitations of the mediawiki parser, understanding template syntax is a migraine inducing activity.)

In other news, we need help with internationalization (NobbZ is kindly working on the German localizations) and, for those of you with any artistic inclination, sketches of other potential theme options and icons.  Additionally, I am now working on the backend code for wiki configuration and user management.  What user preferences do you find useful, and what would you like to see?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 12:47:16 pm by Locriani »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2010, 01:45:56 pm »

What user preferences do you find useful, and what would you like to see?

Default signature and "raw" signature option.

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »

Errr... Signatures are definitely not going to exist how they currently do.

Talk pages are going to be much more forum-like. So there will (like most forums) actually be no default signature. And as we don't want people "signing" the portions they've added to articles, I'm not sure there's a huge need for the ~~~~ style signature.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2010, 02:19:39 pm »

We now have a Russian localization thanks to PhoebosLC, and a few new committers have contributed code to the project.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2010, 03:36:44 pm »

Some form of true anonymity or hidden identity is always a positive thing (assuming it doesn't preclude bans in the event of spamming/vandalism).

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2010, 03:24:06 pm »

Some form of true anonymity or hidden identity is always a positive thing (assuming it doesn't preclude bans in the event of spamming/vandalism).

What do you mean by that?  Like the ability to edit anonymously?  I think that's a definite good thing, but I know in the current wiki editing anonymously means you leave your IP address, which is hardly "anonymous" in fact making an account is more anonymous because only the admins can see your IP then.

Emi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:35 pm »

Currently what we're doing is a type of hash on IP addresses. For instance, my IP address becomes "metalinguistic precompleteness killdee". Our word lists need improvement. The goal is phrases like "lovely yellow garden".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9