Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3  (Read 25470 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3
« on: April 26, 2010, 11:13:51 am »

2012 update
This is an old T3 module that was presumed lost after the engine it was built for was abandoned. Recently some people have found old copies on their hard drives. However, so far no "final release" copy has turned up. The most recent version anyone has found is version .91, which so far as I can tell is missing about 6 months of development time from the final version, which was (I think V.93)

V091 is playable...if you don't mind working around bugs, and "implement me" messages from time to time.

How to get the game is described here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55626.msg3907119#msg3907119

Some important bug workarounds are described here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55626.60

If there is sufficient interest I may consider releasing up update patch that fixes the more inconvenient bugs.

Current notable bugs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Direct links to story posts

Current stats:

It's time for a Let's Play of Dragonball T!

Dragonball T is a module for ToME3. I'll be playing an unreleased development version which is slightly different than the current public release.

DBT takes place mostly within the world of original Dragonball, but it does contains some elements from Dragonball Z. The ultimate goal in DBT is secret, and won't be revealed until we're well into the game. But to begin with we'll be playing an aspiring martial artist (probably) who wants to prove himself by winning the most prestigious tournament on the planet: the World Tournament. The only catch is that we've never actually studied any martial arts. So we might want to do that before we sign up for the tournament.

Note that DBT is a moderately harsh roguelike, and permadeath is extremely likely. I'll do what I can to stay alive, but few characters survive to the end-game.

First thing, character creation. I'll be putting as much as possible to vote, and generally following what people suggest. What we need are:

Name Suggest a name

Gender Male or female

Basic character type
There are no "classes" in DBT, but rather, we'll design the character as we level by enrolling in classes and taking lessons at any of 8 basic schools, and with a dozen or so secluded masters and trainers. Generally speaking, there are five four basic "types" of characters in Dragonball T that can be mixed and matched. Choose up to two: barehanded, weapons, chi and technomancy. (No marksmen for this Let's Play.)

Barehanded fighters

Fight with their hands.

Weapons fighters

Fight with weapons.

Chi practitioners

Throw energy balls, generate visible battle auras, fly, etc. Usually these characters will start as either barehanded or weapons fighters, but it is not absolutely necessary. It just makes the game easier to do so, as one has to survive long enough to get access to the chi trainers.

Technomancers

Build and use technology, aircraft, battle suits, lasers, etc. Usually these characters will start out as either weapons fighters or marksmen, but again, it's not strictly necessary to do so.

Character build - Schools
Builds are developed by studying at any combination of various martial arts schools. If you have preferences, specify them here. It will be a while before we need to worry about choosing masters to study with (Rosshi, Tsuru Seni'nin, Kami, etc.) so just focus on basic schools for now.

General playstyle
Alternately, if you don't want to choose specific schools, simply specify generally a basic character type and what kind of playstyle you'd like to see: "Strong and tough" "Fast" "High armor/ hard to hit" etc.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 03:38:19 pm »

Name: Iron Beard

Type: Full on Technomancer!

Schools: Karate, Fencing, Sumo, Ballet

General Playstyle: Thick armor, bladed weapons.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 04:31:39 pm »

Type: Hand to Hand

Schools: Kickboxing, Judo, Ninjutsu

General Playstyle: Takes 5 episodes to power up  Beats people up.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 06:06:28 pm »

Ninjutsu probably isn't good except for Technomancers, ironically. Stealth seems kind of meh, unless you're ranged which we're not, and Throwing is ranged which we're not. The melee skills are mediocre, whereas Ballet gives us the Dexterity, plus Constitution and jump.

I suppose Kickboxing is okay, but Karate is really our only good source of Strength and Block is good for the defensive part of my build.

Fencing will give us mastery of blades, and this added with the free attacks from Riposte makes up for having only one weapon. The speed'll also help us hit quickly and move better in our thick armor.

Judo gives dodge and a few skills we'll get elsewhere, whereas Sumo gives us a small Strength and Constitution bonus as well as two abilities. Immovability seems especially nice, as it should allow us to stand our ground and dish out some damage while our armor keeps us safe.

I rest my case and wait for comment.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 06:11:07 pm »

Oh, I just picked whatever seemed decent enough for a barehanded fighter. 
Don't care if its optimal for a Techno or not.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »

Name: Iron Beard

Type: Full on Technomancer!

Schools: Karate, Fencing, Sumo, Ballet

General Playstyle: Thick armor, bladed weapons.

A dwarf ballet dancer!  I love it!  Go Male, Ballet, Fencing, and Sumo.  Karate's too cool for this character!  I agree on the thick armor, but hammers might be even more funny.  Go Pink and pretty!

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 06:52:20 pm »

Oh, I just picked whatever seemed decent enough for a barehanded fighter. 
Don't care if its optimal for a Techno or not.

Yeah, I kind of got off track and explained my build inside and out.

But still, Ninjutsu seems a bad choice for either of our builds, and Judo seems pretty weak in comparison to the staying power of Sumo. Karate and Kickboxing is a much closer choice, I just prefer Karate as it gives Strength and Block, which is good for any melee character.

Fencing because I want blades. I'd prefer guns, but we can't go marksman in this LP.

A dwarf ballet dancer!  I love it!  Go Male, Ballet, Fencing, and Sumo.  Karate's too cool for this character!  I agree on the thick armor, but hammers might be even more funny.  Go Pink and pretty!

We really need Karate for the Block and Strength, actually.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:04:14 pm »

But we need to ignore Karate for the LUTZ!  For the LUTZ!

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:05:42 pm »

Lurtz? What do Orcs have to do with this?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 08:49:06 pm »

Not Lurtz.  Lutz as in funny, joke, humor, fun of it.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »

Quote from: Spartan 117
Ninjutsu probably isn't good except for Technomancers, ironically

Ninjutsu plays like a jack-of-all trades with some perks. What technomancers need most is usually stats, and Ninjutsu doesn't give any, so it's not usually the greatest combination. (EDIT: actually no...after double checking, ninjutsu does offer dexterity training, but so does ballet.)  Ballet is actually the most common choice for technomancers because it gives two useful stats, and the fact that it offers no fighting or martial arts skills isn't usually a big deal.

Quote from: Spartan 117
Judo seems pretty weak in comparison to the staying power of Sumo

Both provide damage mitigation, but in a different way: Dodge from judo allows you to avoid attack, while high hitpoints from sumo allows you to take hits but just keep going. But are valid. Both work.

Judo-dancer-technomancer is actually a standard build, but sumo-dancer will also work. Both sumo and ballet give constitution, so that's redundant, but ballet gives dexterity, and sumo gives strength. So...by choosing sumo instead of judo, basically it means we'd be focusing on high damage-high health instead of high speed-high armor.

Block is good for the defensive part of my build.

Block only applies to barehanded fighters. Parry is used for weapons. You'll get parry with either Kung fu or Fencing. Though as a technomancer there won't be a lot of spare points for for it.

We really need Karate for the Block and Strength, actually.

Sumo gives strength, and block doesn't apply to weapons, so all karate gives that the others don't is martial arts skill, which technomancer don't hugely benefit from.

Kickboxing is okay, but Karate is really our only good source of Strength

Sumo gives strength, so no need to take karate for the strength training.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:35:46 pm »

So far: Two votes for sumo-dancer-technomancer, one vote for kickboxing-dodge-barehander. If anyone else has questions or feedback, get it in tonight and I'll probably make a character early tomorrow.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:44:12 pm »

Is this a sign that development may resume in the foreseeable future?  The few TOME 3.x mods I tried some time back (1-2 years maybe?) were all horribly incomplete (as was the default TOME module IIRC) with little sign of dev activity on the forum.  Such was my impression at the time.

Anyway, I'm voting in favor of a sumo ballerina, with or without other schools.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:23:17 pm »

Is this a sign that development may resume in the foreseeable future?

Development is underway right now. DarkGod returned from his eternal extended two-year-long brief honeymoon several months ago. Most of the discussion is taking place off the public forums, but he's been pretty active elsewhere.

The few TOME 3.x mods I tried some time back (1-2 years maybe?)
were all horribly incomplete

...well, mine were functional, until alpha18 broke them. :P

But there has already been an alpha19 since DarkGod came back, and Xandor is in charge of the T3 team now. In theory, the next release will be a beta release, though I don't have an ETA on that.

(as was the default TOME module IIRC)

The ToME3 module as it exists in its current form included with alpha19 has been formally abandoned. There will be a new ToME module, but I haven't been following development for it much. From what I've read it bears little resemblance to the ToME module included with the current alphas. Basically, it was totally scrapped and they started over.

Anyway, I'm voting in favor of a sumo ballerina, with or without other schools.

So three votes for the sumo-dancer.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:28:50 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8