Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3  (Read 25445 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3
« Reply #60 on: December 28, 2012, 09:57:53 pm »

For some reason, the tiles aren't showing up right. Walls are just big black spaces, passable ground sometimes appears opaque (i.e. like walls), stairs up/down sometimes randomly appear and disappear and are always shifted one space to the left (Visually).

As mentioned above, t-engine is not very friendly with windows. The problem is that windows doesn't like showing high ascii characters which DBT makes extensive use of.  You have three options:

1) Play the linux or mac versions. I think they don't have this problem.

2) Included in the windows release there are two executables: tome3.exe and tome3-sdl.exe. Try them both. One might work better for you than the other, though personally on my machine...the sdl version crashes instantly for some reason.

3) There is a workaround, but it requires a manual install and editing of game files. Do a manual install as described elsewhere. Then, open up data/dungeons/features.lua. There will be a list of every terrain type in the game. Do a search and replace to replace every instance of this:

display = strchar(127)

with this:

display = '#'

That will make all wall tiles display as # instead of black spots that move around.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 28, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »

ego items

Huge, possible workaround, not extensively tested

Ok, so...lack of ego items renders the game not realistically playable much past level 20-30 or so. However, I may have found a solution. It seems suspiciously simple, but on casual testing it does allow ego items to spawn.

Make sure you've done a manual install as described elsewhere, then open up /scripts/object.lua

Look for this section:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Ego/arts chance
--[[
function rand_obj.get_artifact_chance(obj_level, item_kind)
    return 1 + rescale(obj_level, 100, 7)
end

function rand_obj.get_single_ego_chance(obj_level, item_kind, ego_info)
   return 3 + rescale(obj_level, 100, 15)
end

function rand_obj.get_double_ego_chance(obj_level, item_kind, ego_info)
   return 0
end
rand_obj.get_artifact_chance = function()
                  return 3 + (dun_level / 5)
               end
rand_obj.get_single_ego_chance = function()
                  return 5 + (dun_level / 5)
               end
rand_obj.get_double_ego_chance = function()
                  return 0
               end
]]
-- Flavours

Remove the comments. Specifically these two lines:

--[[

and

]]

I vaguely remember there being something related to the engine and I think there was a good reason why these lines were commented out. Making this change might cause other problems that might be equally game breaking...it's just been so long since I've looked at this code and I don't really remember. However, uncommenting these lines does appear to allow ego items to spawn again, which combined with the above fix might restore the game to a relatively high degree of playability.

If there's interest, I'll consider looking into the firearms bug, since that's the only other major gamebreaking bug I think this version contains, but it only affects firearms which were never very popular.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:06 pm »

Also, quick note: confirmed that V.91 is definitely not the final release of the game. Anyone who has an old DBT install, please check your version to see if you have a more recent release.

Thanks.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 28, 2012, 10:40:50 pm »

What's this "manual install" thing? I just put the DBT.team file into the module folder and it works.

It turns out running the SDL version show up correctly (Though the high ASCII characters show up as colored boxes, which is fine), the issue is that I have no idea how to save. The non-SDL version autosaves on closing, the SDL one doesn't. Trying to open the "?"Help menu's command list just gives a "Commands.txt not found" or something to that effect.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 10:52:13 pm by Blaze »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 29, 2012, 12:31:49 am »

What's this "manual install" thing? I just put the DBT.team file into the module folder and it works.

Yes, that's easiest and works fine but it doesn't give you access to the game files. To do a manual install, rename the team file to give it a .zip extension, create a new directory inside game/modules, and unzip it into that directory.

Also...if you do a manual install like this, be sure to remove the .team file, or else there will be two copies of the module installed.

issue is that I have no idea how to save.

ctrl x to save and exit.

Don't ask me why. That's the engine default command.

Trying to open the "?"Help menu's command list just gives a "Commands.txt not found" or something to that effect.

Odd. Works fine for me. You're pressing ? to bring up the help menu then b to bring up the command list, yes? If so and it doesn't work for you, then first I'd suggest confirming that you're running the same version as the rest of us: V091. It should be listed in the middle of the screen in green on the splash screen when you first load your game.

The non-SDL version autosaves on closing, the SDL one doesn't.

Not sure why that would be, but again...the SDL version crashes on startup on my computer. Try running the non-SDL version with the workarounds listed in the previous posts on this page. It will take a few minutes to do, but it greatly enhances game playability.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 29, 2012, 12:33:43 am »

Also, Burma's dialog is broken in V.91.

I'm not sure of the damage, but I suspect marriage is impossible.

She also disappears at random, but that might be working as intended (It's Burma after all).

And for those seeking Splinter as a master instructor: The dialog only works once, and requires 16 persuasion.  So make sure you have all the skill points that you need for whatever you want to learn prior to talking to him.  He teaches stealth and minor chi skills.

EDIT: Ok, it's not just Splinter.  Master Roshi's training dialog also only works once.  It might be a problem with all master trainers, I don't know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2012, 02:51:09 am »

Can you learn transformation?

It seems like an oversight for that to not be included.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2012, 05:03:53 am »

Can you learn transformation?

It seems like an oversight for that to not be included.

begin rant

Some people are never happy.

No, you can't. Out of nearly 300 episodes, transformation was an ability only ever demonstrated by Oolong and Puar, both of whom were so completely minor characters that I'd be surprised if even one in ten people reading this thread could even name them.

Also keep in mind that they were both non-combatants, and the transformation ability itself had no combat utility because the user didn't gain strengths that might be implied by the assumed form. Here's a video of Oolong transforming into a huge, armored knight, but he gains no strength or durability in this form, and even things like a kid firing a slingshot and hot soup hurt him through the "armor" he's made.

No major character, no humans and no fighters ever learned the ability throughout all of Dragonball and Dragonball Z combined. Complaining that it's such an "oversight" seems like a serious overstatement to me.

Yes, it was considered. But how would you implement it? In the show the ability was basically cosmetic, but it allows you to change into anything. Do you understand the coding overhead involved with allowing a user to transform into "anything?" I went through that with the dragonballs. Looking through the scripts right now...the dragonball wishing code is 41k. But the dragonballs were a major part of the world and a recurring theme and it was worth the time to implement them properly.

Dragonball was a massive world created over decades of manga and anime and I spent 2 or 3 years working on recreating it. Spending large amounts of time on something that was such an insignificant part of the story for such a small time for two very minor characters and would have little game relevance even if it was done was not a priority with so many more interesting and useful things to do first.

Even as it is, unfinished, DBT features relatively minor things like the Emma Daio, Oolong, Puar, Lunch, a complicated Time Travel subplot involving Trunks, Uranai Baba, Ginkako and Kinkaku, Mai and Shuu, Ranfan, Nam, Bojack, Bacterium, Oopa and Bosa, a painstaking recreation of Korin's tower climb, Anton, Chapao, Caroni, Pirozuki, Miss Piiza in the role of Mr. Satan's secretary, Punter, Bubbles the Monkey, Umigame and Iruka, the bear thief, a complicated set of mutually exclusive subplots relating to the nature of the dragonballs and the nameks who created them, a quest chain involving ajisa plants on the planet Namek....and so ridiculously much more that even when I was actively working on it I would occasionally run into characters and quests and subplots that I'd forgotten I'd added to the game. There are characters in DBT who have more dialogue in the game as they do in the anime and when I open up the dialogue file alone in a word processor it tells me that it would be 240 pages of printed text.

Do you even recognize half this stuff I'm talking about? DBT has an entire quest chain about ajisa plants on the planet Namek. And most players never even made it off earth.

And you're complaining that I didn't include transformation?

end rant

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2012, 06:30:12 am »

Also, Burma's dialog is broken in V.91.

I'm not sure of the damage, but I suspect marriage is impossible.

Taking a look, yes but after completing Find Buruma for Dr. Briefs her dialogue ends in a developer note, so it appears to be a clean break. I remember that, actually. She was completely fixed in later versions, but yeah...doesn't look like marrying her is possible in this version.

Hopefully somebody will turn up a more recent version. Going through this version I'm seeing a lot of things I'm completely certain were fixed or changed. The number V093 sticks out in my memory, but it's been years and I'm not entirely sure. Orinji Temple exists, so V091 is obviously a very late version...but I'm certain that Bulma, Shredder, firearms and a lot of other things were further along than they appear to be in V091. The firearms bug was especially memorable because they'd been working perfectly well for a year then there was one particular release (this one) where they were broken for some silly reason that I missed.

She also disappears at random, but that might be working as intended (It's Burma after all).

That's correct functioning for her. Lunch, and a few other uniques work similarly. It's something like a 10% chance for one of them to appear any time you enter a new overland map.

Master Roshi's training dialog also only works once.

Hmm, yeah. There's also a dialogue path before the Lonely Master quest that breaks the display. Though it does appear that you can train with him once, then save & exit and come back and the display corruptino recovers.

Suggestion: Turtle and Crane hermits are mutually exclusive. Quick check and Crane seems to work fine, so you could choose to train with him instead. The prerequisite quest is more difficult, but it doesn't require you to give up an npc, and with Bulma unmarryable, just training Crane allows you to avoid two bugs at once.

It might be a problem with all master trainers, I don't know.

After some testing...Crane and Karin both seem to work ok. The Abbot, while his related quests appear to work perfectly well...appears to not be implemented as a chi trainer in this version. The quest chains that allow training with Shredder/Splinter appear to be pretty much unfinished and mangled in a couple places. Kami and the North Kaio's scripts both work, but for various other reasons I think you'd never be able to get to a point where they'd be willing to train you.

So...looks like Crane and Karin are the only functional chi trainers in V091.

Again...I guess we just hope somebody turns up with a more recent version. All of this stuff was working when I abandoned DBT. Minus a couple issues like in the previously mentioned workarounds, the game was pretty much completely functional up to the end of the Red Ribbon Army arc.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 07:22:58 am »

As a workaround, I recorded what Splinter and Rosshi can train.  Since they're both relatively easy to visit, I should be able to just save up enough skill points prior to training with them.

Here is what I've collected on them:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On a related note, where/how do I train with Crane and Karin?  I keep getting characters to the point where they max out on two schools, but die before level 20.  Granted, I should probably just train at three schools, but some builds will max out prior to level 20 I imagine (some barehanded builds in particular seem to max out quickly).

Yeah, it would really be nice if somebody had a later version.  Based on the date, I was quite busy when the later versions came out, so I'm sorry that I can't help any further.  On the bright side, I'm getting better at the earlier stages of the game.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 09:29:10 am »

where/how do I train with Crane

and Karin?

I keep getting characters to the point where they max
out on two schools, but die before level 20

Character build is a significant part of gameplay. You can't just make a character and level him. Some things work better than others.

I should probably just train at three schools, but some builds will max out prior to
level 20 I imagine (some barehanded builds in particular seem to max out quickly).

The way I remember it, three school builds were generally more common, but it depends on what your goals are. The fewer schools you train at, the more schools you can destroy to increase your late-game skillcaps once you start getting dojo destroyer quests. But yeah...obviously you want to survive to get to that point too. Early game character design is generally a matter of prioritizing among armor, hit points, speed and damage. There's no easy way to get all of those without taking three schools, and even with three it's often a matter of choosing only three out of those four things to focus on for lack of skillpoints to invest in all four.

some barehanded builds in particular seem to max out quickly

On barehand skill sure, but I think not having enough skillpoints is generally more of a problem than maxxing out and not being able to spend more. Remember that constitution increases your hit points, dexterity increases both your to hit and armor, and martial arts skill increases your to hit and makes life easier by increasing your ability to identify items.

In any case, some schools synergize together better than others. For example, if you want to go barehanded, karate gives blocking which increases your AC by an mount equal to your barehanded skill per each available hand, but kickboxing gives double attack which allows you to use each empty hand as a separate attack. And Judo gives access to the dodge skill which gives a raw AC bonus.

If you're going for a high armor build, it makes sense to take karate with judo because they'll both enhance your AC. And, since neither school gives a constitution bonus, you can take ballet for constitution and pick up the jumping skill in the process. Karate+Judo+Ballet is a strong combination if you want an extremely durable character. Quick check...at level 16, I'm able to make a character with with 71 AC while naked, +14 speed and 224 hp with karate+judo. Add generic, unenhanced trenchcoat and heavyweight from the shops I can get AC up to 111. +26 to hit with 1d20-4 base damage. Completing the ballet quest with those stats is difficult, but add a couple levels and better gear, and it should be easy, opening up ballet for constitution. Back in the day, I remember players using this build to get armor in the 200-300 range pretty easily. Note also that while this is a fairly slow to get powerful build...I'm trying it right now, and at +14 speed I can walk in circles around Honda's sumo ring without him ever touching me.

Alternately, you could study kickboxing for barehand skill and double attack, plus sumo for strength and constitution. Checking potentials right now...at level 16 I'm seeing a character with 20 strength, 34 constiutution, two empty-handed attacks for 1d20+10 damage each, with 544 hitpoints. Sumo also gives access to Tameshiwari and Immovability, both of which are cheap and useful abilities. Add in the slightly but acceptably skillpoint-inefficient speed training from kickboxing, and this is a viable two-school build. And by choosing high health over armor, you can take full advantage of the running bonus to speed without any real loss since you're not really trying to avoid hits anyway. It does suffer from low to-hit values, though and could possibly be improved by adding in kung fu for the martial arts and dexterity training.

And in all cases, you'll want to consider which abilities are or aren't available later from chi trainers. For example, like you note, Rosshi teaches Double Attack. So if you go karate+judo+Rosshi, you can learn both block and double attack. Whereas the crane hermit teaches blocking, so if you go kickboxing+sumo, you'll probably want to train with the crane hermit instead of Rosshi. And any build that takes sumo requires that your character be male, which excludes the possibility of marrying Oolong.

There are many viable options, and a lot of exclusions to consider. But, for simple barehanded builds, these two were the most popular back in the day.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:48 pm »

Thought I'd mention that my earlier statement about only training once with Rosshi is not wholly accurate.  Due to the way the dialog is broken, those who train via flirting can access the training menu with Rosshi twice.

And from what you've said, apparently those who find a bride for Rosshi might also be able to either train twice, or possibly more.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 29, 2012, 11:46:27 pm »

Just did a Kickboxing/Sumo/Kungfu barehanded fighter. Made it to level 17, started destroying schools from left to right...made level 24 from Karate and Judo. Trained up a bunch then fought Jacque and bled to death. Zheng gui shui isn't as effective as I remember it being. (EDIT: ...oh, right. It's first aid that stops bleeding, not zheng gui shui.)

Think I'll try a weapons build next. I remember them being generally easier to play.

What builds are you using?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2012, 01:31:08 am »

I've gotten stat reductions from traps, how do I remove the stat reductions?

Try the acupuncture clinic near the gym.

Also, anyone following this thread, please check the updated version of the opening post. Not sure if this is only a couple people interested, but if there's a huge resurgence of interest in these modules, I might be willing to consider supporting them again.

Though I'd really prefer that a more current version be found. I'm unlikely to be willing to rebuild the ~6 months worth of content that seems to be missing from V091.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2012, 02:04:24 am »

I use lots of different build types.  Right now I'm using a Karate/Judo/possiblyBallet character.  I finally unlocked Karate's strength training, but it's less efficient than Master Rosshi's, so I'll probably save up and buy strength training from him.  Like I said previously, it is possible to train with him twice, so I might purchase the strength first, then return for everything else.  The major flaw of a barehanded character is that I can't just buy damage power (except the gym, but the gym takes a while to build up), so I may need the strength boost sooner rather than later.

Unfortunately, writing about a living roguelike character seems to condemn that character to death within two hours of posting.  :P

EDIT: The curse is broken!  Lady Elflor the Third lives!  But now I've got another "problem".  I just finished the Oblong matchmaking quest, and I've got 100,000 Zn.  So, is there somewhere other than the main town that I can buy stuff?  I guess I can afford to fly, but where too?  Hm, maybe I'll visit that guy in the tower.  Can I use an airplane to visit him?

Although, now that I know one way to complete the Oblong matchmaker quest, it won't be so hard in later runs to make this cash reward.

Also, is there another husband relatively accessible for my female character to marry?
New urgency to the above request: I found a dragonball.
Actually, I used my newfound wealth to encapsule the dragonball.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8