Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3  (Read 23296 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lets Play Dragonball T, a module for ToME3
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:48 pm »

Urist should look for other underground locations for some more dwarves.

This is an oddly entertaining mod, despite me not being much of a Dragonball fan, and despite it being unfinished. I offer words of encouragement for the continuation of its development.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:04 pm »

I offer words of encouragement for the continuation of its development.

I'd actually like to, and this thread was inspired partially to help motivate me, but there are some silly things going on with the engine. It's not liking windows vista, and there are some really annoying graphical oddities going on with the past few alphas. There's a push going on now to fix the bugs and get it into beta, and if that happens I'd rather wait for it so I can develop without dealing with all the engine bugs.

not being much of a Dragonball fan

I had never seen more than bits and pieces of episodes when I first started Dragonball T. After I did, I bought the entire series on DVD and sat down and watched it over a couple months. I was surprised by how good it is.

Unfortunately the vast majority of episodes aired on american tv are all from the Freiza saga, which is about 5 episodes worth of story spread out over 100 episodes and the rest filled with people screaming at each other. Overall Dragonball is both funny and clever. I don't know why only the filler episdes get shown.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 07:36:53 pm »

Dig deeper!  Go underground!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2010, 12:17:55 am »

I now know why marksmanship was not an option...firing guns doesn't work.

Also, where do we learn the "identify" skill, or whatever replaces this?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 01:23:58 am »

firing guns doesn't work.

Not in the public release.

"identify" skill, or whatever replaces this?

Items are identified by the skill that they're associated with, modified by intelligence. Weapons will generally require weapons skill, guns require marksmanship, armor will generally require martial arts skill. "Tech" items like gas masks, SCUBA gear, blueprints, etc. will require technology skill. Electronic weapons like tasers and stun batons are considered tech items for identification purposes.

If you examine an unidentified item in your inventory, the description will tell you what exactly you need to identify it. Press i to see your inventory, and then the letter of the item to examine it.

For example, a dobak requires a martial arts skill of 7 to identify. With 6 martial arts skill, and you won't know what the stats on a dobak are, but raise your skill to 7 and you will. Intelligence modifies the skill requirement for all items from a base of ten. For example, with 6 intelligence you'd actually need 11 martial arts skill to identify that dobak. With 14 int, you'd only need 3. Yes, intelliegence alone can be used to identify items that require skill you don't have. With 17 skill you'd identify that dobak even with no martial arts skill at all.

Intelligence can be increased through skillpoints by enrolling at the Robbins Institute. A limited number of points are also available by studying from time to time at the library. And of course, dragonball wishes can be used to do just about anything.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

EuchreJack cast Revive!

Ok, I'm playing this again, and thought this might be a good place to ask questions.

Here is what I've got so far:

Can I profit from marrying Oblong?
How do I use the watch to tell time?
I've gotten stat reductions from traps, how do I remove the stat reductions?
What are these "EGO Weapons" that the help files keep refering to?

Post-Script: Reading my posts on this and the Bubble Gum Crisis LP leads me to one unescapable conclusion: I was downright obnoxious two years ago.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2012, 09:39:12 pm »

Can I profit from marrying Oblong?

...yes.

This is probably a more significant question than you realize.

Spoiler: small spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: big spoiler (click to show/hide)

How do I use the watch to tell time?

ctrl-T is the standard ToME command to display the current game time. If you do this while you have a watch equipped, you'll get a specific time rather than a general "It's morning/afternoon/dark/etc." Watches also allow you to know the time underground and indoors.

I've gotten stat reductions from traps, how do I remove the stat reductions?

If I recall correctly, the effect is temporary. Zheng gui shui might be able to remove it immediately. Resting for 500-1000 turns will probably do it too.

What are these "EGO Weapons" that the help files keep refering to?

Items that give bonuses above and beyond simple armor/to hit/damage bonuses. After being identified these items will have either a prefix or suffix indicting what they do. For example, "cleated shoes" give  a speed bonus. "Dark clothing" gives a stealth bonus. A "high capacity" gun has greater ammo capacity. Note that not all ego items are beneficial, and not all ego items are exclusively good or bad. For example, "moldy" food can be straight up bad if you eat it, and a "poorly made" weapon gives a to hit penlty and cannot be used for riposte, whereas "weighted" clothing" is heavy and might apply an encumberance penalty but gives an xp bonus because it makes your training more difficult.

Note that the version you're probably playing suffers from an engine-related bug that prevents ego items from spawning under normal conditions. Don't mean to be a killjoy...but this is one of the major reasons why the game became unplayable. Ego items are the DBT version of "magic quality gear" and it's just not practical to survive the later dungeons without it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2012, 09:45:57 pm »

Too bad you can't make Oolong teach you transformation. I mean they did imply anyone could learn it.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »

Question, Where can I get this? The links on the OP are dead.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2012, 10:17:34 pm »

Question, Where can I get this? The links on the OP are dead.

...that's kind of complicated. It's a module for an engine that never made it out of alpha and was eventually abandoned. The engine author no longer makes it available on his website. I'm the author of DBT, but I lost the master copies of the last year or two of development due to a hard drive being wiped, lost, or destroyed.

The game was presumed "lost" until a few days ago somebody revived the Bubblegum Crisis thread here, and it turned out that a few bay12 players still had copies on their hard drives.

So...

There is an archive of T3 engine alphas here:

http://www.zaimoni.com/zaiband/Angband.ref/ToME/

Scroll down towards the bottom and you'll see files with names like tome300alphaXX. Those are the engine alphas. WHich version you want might vary depending on which version of which modules you're installing...but so far greatest success seems to be with alphas 18 and/or 19.

As for the module itself, people have been posting links to various modules and versions in the above thread. The most recent version of DBT that's come up so far is version .91, which (along with a bunch of other stuff) is available in this archive here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?g4r6a1p6hg3hlcy

A brief description for installing BGC (a different module) may be found here. The process for installing DBT will be similar.

Sorry if this is all a bit difficult. Again...these modules were presumed lost for years and it's only been in the past few days that people have been posting links to old copies. Also note that T3 was notoriously unreliable under some versions of windows. Personally, I've yet to get it working on my machine without at least some graphics oddities.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2012, 01:38:17 am »

Ah, so that 100 pound ball really was a dragonball.  Too bad I died.  Very shortly after finding it, in fact.  So you bring up a good point about houses being useful.

I was reading the helpfiles, and apparently I can get a house by being a technomancer instead of marriage.  I'll fiddle around with it, but in case I can't get someone to technology 20, I thought I'd ask if it was true.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2012, 02:34:49 am »

For some reason, the tiles aren't showing up right. Walls are just big black spaces, passable ground sometimes appears opaque (i.e. like walls), stairs up/down sometimes randomly appear and disappear and are always shifted one space to the left (Visually).

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2012, 05:06:59 am »

Just search ToME3 on Google, it is the very first website and I think it's the official one.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2012, 07:19:40 am »

Speaking of Technomancers, how does science relate to weapon difficulties, if at all?  Other classes have skills that help them hit better, but I'm not sure if technomancy in and of itself helps.

Also, how to I avoid/counteract throws?  I had a character do quite well until the black belt threw him into a crowd of brown belts.

Also, I hate Lunch.  I've usually been able to avoid her, but she's killed two of my better runs.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:22 pm »

so that 100 pound ball really was a dragonball.  Too bad I died.  Very shortly after finding it, in fact.

Yes. Dragonballs are a trap that kill a lot of new players. Speed is a huge factor in character survivability because it not only controls movement speed relative to monsters, it also indirectly affects number of attacks everyone gets. If you pick up a dragonball and get hit with -12 speed, that means that a monster with a base speed can not only move over twice as fast as you, it means that once they're standing next to you they'll hit you twice per turn, except every fifth turn when they'll hit you three times. For example...with a little bad luck, you might get thrown by a black belt next to two brown belts. Quick check of monster stats, brown belts have a speed of +10. So with a -12 speed, it would be possible for them to each get three attacks to your one. 1d8 damage, so theoretical worst case, those two brown belts might hit you for 48 damage before you even get to move. Playing with negative speed is suicide.

If you find an early dragonball and you don't have a house...my advice is to abandon it. If you just leave it on the ground in any non-persistent map then leave, it can respawn again later.

apparently I can get a house by being a technomancer instead of marriage

...if I remember this correctly...there are two options here. If you marry Buruma you get a house accessible form the world map just like the Oolong marriage house. If you become a technomancer (explained below) you gain item pickup and drop access to Dr. Brief's lab. So the "technomancy house" is different than the standard marriage house, but in  a way it's better, though less organized since you have to physically move around and sort through piles to get what you want rather than choose from a list like in a house.

Speaking of Technomancers, how does science relate to weapon difficulties, if at all? 

Other classes have skills that help them hit better, but I'm
not sure if technomancy in and of itself helps.

Technology provides no hit bonus. It's not a combat skill.

As for "how it helps" we need to distinguish between technology skill and a full blown technomancer. Technomancy is a character class archetype. Technology skill just allows you to use tech items. General consensus amongst old school DBT players was that technomancers were viable, but sort of middle of the road in terms of power.

Think of it this way: DBT characters are defined on two axes: basic method of damage dealing (barehand, weapons or firearms) and "super powered enhancement" of which the choice is either chi or technology. You get get through the early game just by picking some combat styles and smashing your way through everything. But late game, if you want to be able to fly, to heal yourself, to travel through space to other planets, if you want to be able to deal with traps of bleed effects...you need either chi or technology to do it.

Low levels of technology skill will give you access to a lot of tools that enhance your survivability and generally make the game easier: laser pointers, metal detectors, the dragon radar, etc. Also a lot of misc stuff with combat utility: road flares, flame throwers, etc.

Next, there are a number of weapons that can only be used by characters with technology skill: tasers, stun batons, cattle prods, etc. While the above examples are usable by anyone with enough technology skill, weapons in this category require technology skill but actually use your weapons skill for to hit rolls. This is why most technomancers go weapons rather than barehand. (Or firearms, but they're bugged in your version.)

Finally...the "mother lode" is when you actually become a dedicated technomancer, which is a quest-chain driven event that becomes available by speaking to Dr. Briefs after you reach a technology skill of 20, and provided you haven't done anything especially nasty to Buruma. After completing the quest chain your class title changes to "Technomancer" and you gain the ability to create and enhance items via a disenchant/enchant mechanic. When you disassemble an item of a given ego or base type, you can learn how to make those items and/or apply that ego type to other items. So, for example...if you disassemble a studded piece of body armor, you can then apply studding to any suitable piece of armor you find from then forward. If you have only one stun baton, but two hands and the ability to dual wield, you can disassemble the stun baton to learn the recipe and build two to dual wield them. Then apply, for example, the high voltage ego type to them so they do additional stun damage. This allows you to always have the best "enchantments" on your gear. While one character who might be terribly dependent on armor, for example...might find himself in the position of having to choose between a piece of armor with low armor but good resistance values, a technomancer will just enhance the better piece of armor with the bonuses he wants.

Also, as a minor side benefit, technomancers get free use of a couple items that other characters would have to spend skill points to be able to use like motorcycles and airplanes.

It was also in the works to have technomancers be able to build upgradable power armor similar to what you see in bubblegum crisis. But that system was never finished.

Anyway, technomancy is somewhat crippled in the version you're playing because ego items don't spawn, so you'll have far fewer items to disassemble in order to learn recipes and you'll be completely dependent on blueprints for learning ego types. (Though I suppose that might be better than not being a technomancer and therefore not having access to ego items at all.)

So there you go. Technomancy is an alternative to chi training for late-game special abilities. But, even if you don't want to go full-on technomancer, an easy 5 or so points in technology skill is enough to allow you to use a lot useful items. Much past Mr Satan's estate, simply pouring points into armor and damage won't be enough to keep you alive. You'll need trap mitigation, healing, a way to deal with and dish out stun and blindness effects, etc. Technology training is easier to gain access to in the early game since all you need to do is find Buruma rather than navigate through mid to high level zones in order to get to chi trainers.

how to I avoid/counteract throws?

If you want to become immune, the easiest method is to train sumo and learn the immovability trait. Body oil provides temporary immunity that lasts about a dozen turns (depending on speed) and is available for sale to anyone from the sumo school.

If you want to gain the ability to maneuver yourself better, there are lots of options: the jump ability to dance, chi flight and/or teleportation, the Nyoi-bo artifct from the Uranai-Baba quest chain...or even just train speed a lot. It doesn't matter as much when they throw you around if you can just run around them to where you want to go an hit them 2-3 times for every once they hit you.

Note that if the problem is that you're being thrown from the ring in the world tournament, the Nyoi-bo counts as a tool and will disqualify you.

Also, I hate Lunch

I think in the version you're playing she's able to spawn anywhere. That was not the case in later versions. She's a level 15 unique. She's only supposed to spawn in mid-level overworld zones.

Workaround: when you see the sneeze notifications, leave the area and come back. I'm pretty sure Yamcha and Puar are the only hostile overworld uniques who persist through refreshes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8