Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'Reinforced' leather?  (Read 2253 times)

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
'Reinforced' leather?
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:03:15 pm »

How difficult would it be to make a reaction which takes a piece of, say, giant lion leather (or any leather, really) and converts it to "reinforced" giant lion leather (or reinforced ______ leather)? Because I'd love my dwarves to be able to ride into battle clothed in the skins of their fallen enemies without being immediately skewered because leather makes crappy armour.

TL;DR: Can you convert animal products to different materials? If so, can you do this while retaining their animal source?
くコ:彡

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: 'Reinforced' leather?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 11:47:30 pm »

It is possible, by adding a new material to a creature (call it UPGRADE_LEATHER_MAT) with a different template that behaves sort-of like leather, but better.
The reaction could take a piece of leather, but I'm unsure whether it could reference the original creature again (there's not enough space in the line, unless it would be GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:leather:UPGRADE_LEATHER_MAT])

I would dive into the Masterwork DF Raws to see if I could find a solution, but it uses standardized materials anyway, so he'd just reference the creature again, and to do that in vanilla would require the same number of reactions as animals that you could convert. (with CREATURE_MAT:LION_GIANT:UPGRADE_LEATHER_MAT])

This whole thing may be easily solved with [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:XXX], though... I haven't used or bothered to learn the mechanics behind that yet.

I call upon the RAWmasters who know how to use this odd line!
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 11:48:04 pm »

Yes, that is absolutely possible. I do have a system in my mod to make leather => boil in oil => tough hide. => stud with bone => studded leather, and sew together to lamellar => lamellar leather. They are a bit better then iron in the end.

What exactly do you want to do, how good or bad should it be? Have a look at my raws, in reactions_masterwork.txt and search for "new tanner"
Looks like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Of course you need the materials as well, and use creature specific leather (I only have one leather type for all creatures) so some work on your end is not avoidable. Hope it helps a bit, to give you an idea.

EDIT:
I would dive into the Masterwork DF Raws
lol ^^

Edit2: But yeah, using HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT and a copied vanilla tanning reaction using another tan mat... that would be a lot easier. ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 12:36:54 am »

Preferably I'd like to have a series of upgradeable tiers, e.g. base leather -> slightly above iron -> slightly below steel -> between some modded metals I found to bridge the gap between steel and adamantine. I just really want to be able to have my militia commander decked out in a giant scorpion carapace suit without getting shanked right off the bat.

As for this:
It is possible, by adding a new material to a creature (call it UPGRADE_LEATHER_MAT) with a different template that behaves sort-of like leather, but better.
How would I go about doing that without breaking anything, or having that material appear in the creature where it shouldn't?

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 08:43:16 am »

As for this:
How would I go about doing that without breaking anything, or having that material appear in the creature where it shouldn't?
[/quote]

Just make sure to never call it up in the creature's RAW file - i.e. don't put it anywhere other than defining it.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 03:51:21 pm »

Ah, righto. So since I'm using Lofn's tanning mod, would I be able to just add those to the creature variations added by the mod (e.g. SCALED, CHITINOUS etc.)?

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 10:00:43 pm »

Okay. Though I regret having to ask, would anyone be able to write material templates for three upgraded tiers of leather, feathers, carapace, hide and fur? I've uploaded the base file for them here. Preferably the tiers should be something along the lines of iron+ -> steel- -> steel++. Don't worry about names, I'll sort those out myself.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 12:30:05 am »

I am working on my own system atm, this is how far I got so far:

Code: [Select]
skin => tan => leather => boil in oil => tough leather => stud => studded leather => combine/sew => lamellar leather.
normal => copper => bronze => iron

chitin => clean => chitinplate => combine => rigid chitinplate => ???
shell => clean => shellplate => combine => rigid shellplate => ???
scale => clean => scaleplate => combine => rigid scaleplate => ???
normal => bronze => iron => ???

I dont know if I should upgrade the shell/plate/scale higher then iron... seems too strong in the end. After all it is very light and unlimited.

Fur, if I introduce it, would be for clothing only.

Feather... what would you use feathers for, in armor? And feathered clothing seems undwarvish.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 12:41:25 am »

Jabberer-feather cloak. In my headcanon, jabberers are basically the dwarven boogeyman (setting aside, you know, the actual boogeymen), so what better way to show your badassery than a cloak made from the feathers of one - that doubles as effective armour?

And each successive stage would require rarer components to upgrade (though exactly what, I'm not sure yet), so it wouldn't be THAT common to have top-tier leather-ish stuff.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 12:45:35 am by Zaerosz »

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:41:19 pm »

How to use feathers in armor?
Aha!- use them as a reagent to make 'padded leather,' with better stats against blunt attacks
- Maybe add them to every stage? (i.e. leather+feathers=padded leather, tough leather+feathers=tough padded leather, etc.)

Or, another way you could use them is to use them to add decorations to certain armors, i.e. like winged helmets (bonus points if you can get it to say what kind of feathers are used) You could do the same thing with hairs and such (crested helmets with horse hairs, or with forgotten beast feathers, etc.)
Help us write a story!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 02:10:01 pm »

I personally dont have "named" materials in my mod. So lion mane and jabberer feathers complete fall out, and would be called: fur and feather. And neither of them has ever been use for armor. Decoration, yes, armor, no. Like I said, fur for clothing, feather maybe for quills. Just maybe, because feathers would be quite rare to come by, in DF standards with each creature giving only one. If I make one bir give hundrets of feathers, stockpiles will overflow.