Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [Community] Duskknife- Home of Outlaws  (Read 3348 times)

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
[Community] Duskknife- Home of Outlaws
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:56:44 pm »

In the Portentous Universe
on the Continent of Confederation
Somewhere in The The Desert of Law...

Spoiler: The Desert (click to show/hide)

A group of dwarves stands in a circle around a wagon, sweating in the heat. Members of The Lancer of Shell, and the supposed future founders of the fort of Duskknife.
Spoiler: Duskknife (click to show/hide)

Of course they all knew why they were there; hundreds of dwarves had been sent out to the edges of the world. The Mountain-home had been mined dry, and was now to the point of sending out convicts under the premise of freedom to search for precious metals... but in these circumstances it was easy enough for the criminals to escape, and so these ones had.

The mason, had been tried and found guilty for simply ignoring a noble's mandate.
The miner was simply jobless with nowhere to go. He was dragged along for the ride.
The mechanic was sick of other dwarves eating his kittens, one day he finally snapped and broke a dwarf's leg.
The brewer was accused of hoarding extra rum for herself. (She was)
The hunter accidentally mixed up his words and called the Queen herself a whore.
The butcher witnessed murder, and did nothing.
and Lokii Mokeztosid attempted to murder the Duchess and her son.

So as the carpenter took apart the wagon to salvage what little wood he could, Lokii sat crossleged on the ground and scribbled in a tiny leather bound book.

Day 1
We've arrived in the Desert of Law after fleeing from the Parched Rings and it's deadly hammerer. Quite ironic really, the miner (I won't bother to learn their names just yet, only the ones that survive out here will be remembered) has already started beating away at the mountain with his pick. I was lucky enough to be the only one here to be endowed with medical skills, and as such the other dwarves want to keep me safe. We'll have to see if there is any water to be found however, we're in the middle of a desert after all, and with nowhere to farm I imagine the others will be hungry soon.

Spoiler: The Mason (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Miner (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Mechanic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Brewer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Hunter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Butcher (click to show/hide)

And as it's about 10'o'clock here, I have to start studying for things now, and will get back to get playing tomorrow.
Oh and Lokii, your job is now to seduce the human traders.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: [Community] Duskknife- Home of Outlaws
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:24:18 pm »

I'll take the mechanic Urist the Red.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:00 am »

can I take the hunter? call him whirlwind
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »

Seeing as how the miners have finally hit stone, my lack of work has come to an end, as I am now hauling stone with the rest of the dwarves. Two of them have already forced me to learn their names, the mechanic who came with us is named Urist, although for some reason she demands that everyone add "the Red" to the end of her name. The other,is a ranger ranger who I believe calls himself "Whirlwind";not exactly appropriate, as right now he's chasing a camel around the desert in the hopes of killing it for food... and he can't catch it. I prey he does, though, as our plump helmets are already in short supply.

Some Days Later
Aha! It is a good day today, the miner (I guess I should learn his name now...) claims to have found a cavern. I went down and investigated myself, it's got plenty of water, which solves that problem, and the Butcher-dwarf(who I believe is also the farmer as well) claims the soil is good for farming.

Unfortunately, opening up the thing has it's consequences...

Troglodytes are not the friendliest of creatures. I explained to the mason that he needed to put up some walls to protect us from the beasts and he agreed, as he had already killed one of the nasty things himself.

Quite a few days later

I'm not quite sure of how they got found us living way out here, but a two dwarves have arrived at our hole in the ground. Unfortunately for us, they claim they're migrants from the capital;luckily, they say they were heading for a different fortress and got lost;they were lucky to have found us, but we can't simply let them leave. They'll reveal our location to everyone else, and then we'll be killed, which would not be fun for us.
They'll be forced to work while they're here, so I'll record their professions for posterity's sake.

Spoiler: The Fisherdwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Tanner (click to show/hide)

_____
Rather short turn today,again, but I'll be  back on it tomorrow. I'm starting to like the idea of daily updates.

The cavern goes off the edge of the map. How fun.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:09 pm »

Might I take the fisherdwarf, "Hookline"?
If possible, I would see him train one of every three or four months with a wooden shield and spear (or more, if you have no tasks for him), that he may one day hunt the greater denizens of the waters below. After all, he does strive for excellence!

If other crafts need doing he'll give them a try. He makes no effort to hide his fears of not being useful to such an ambiguous and disorderly group as one run by a band of criminals.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 07:39:33 pm »

It is odd, the fisherdwarf that arrived with the tanner explained to me that he wanted a wooden training spear and a buckler. I told him he could make it himself. Of course there was a bit of profanity and other such fluff involved, I discovered that his name is Hookline, and he discovered that every piece of wood we find is going to have to be used to make a bed. I told him to go fishing instead. I think he may have wet himself.
 I guess he didn't want me to yell at him again or some-such thing, as I received a note from another dwarf entirely that said:

He seems to be avoiding me.

About a week later
Things do not bode well for us here in Duskknives, particularly cavern-wise. Not only have we been attacked by a giant cave spider
A troll decided to destroy our farms before we got the walls up. Did I mention he killed the Miner?

The Brewer did manage to suffocate the thing, but in the process Whirlwind broke his right shoulder. Of course it gets worse...

It seems we've had our fist actually death here, the Cave Crocodile pulled Urist the Red into the water, drowning her. We were unable to recover her corpse, but we don't have any coffins anyway.

I've taken the liberty of listing the deceased here in an orderly fashion.

But body of the Farmer is sitting outside attracting vultures.

It also seems that The the Butcher was his friend. Now he just sits around sighing and being depressed. Not very hardened for a criminal, I think it's rather sad.

Months later
Seven dwarves have arrived, claiming to have heard rumors of a safe haven for outlaws in the desert. I have no idea where they would have heard such a crazy idea, and we could be endangered if the rumor keeps spreading.

A few days pass
... These incompetent fools are really starting to make me angry, people who I've told to stop so I can patch up their wounds continuously walk away in the middle of the procedure.

The Butcher seems to have killed himself. He didn't drink anything for quite some time. It was left up to me to haul his body above-ground.

Two weeks later
We've been here for almost a year now, and as of the 2nd of Obsidian, we are in dire straits:

____
The dwarf caravan arrived, but I ignored it...
 I'll trade with the elves though, I guess, and goblins too if they're peaceful.
Plenty of fun this time, and it's a bit longer.

Also Urist, you can name another dwarf if you like... Urist the Red died a little fast there. D8

The dwarves still available for naming would be:
The Mason
The Brewer
The Tanner
Spoiler: The Gem Cutter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Woodcrafter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Stonecrafter (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Glassmaker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The other Brewer (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The New Butcher (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Suterer (click to show/hide)

If anyone was wondering, I'm using the Goldplated tileset.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 07:42:01 pm by Lokii »

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:13:28 pm »

Can I claim the gem cutter, Name " Augak."
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:38 pm »

I claim the Glassmaker.

Name: Urist the Blue.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:23:18 pm »

Ill take the new butcher, name them Cognate McAwsomeDrawBridge

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 11:40:07 pm »

From the mind of Hookline:

"No sooner am I told I may never leave this place for fear of its discovery does a whole new group of dwarves rush in, spouting about how word has spread of a criminal's paradise! It seems wood is precious here, too, and all that can be gathered already has its fate decided.

The beasts that roam these caverns have proven themselves fierce, and I feel myself fortunate not to have yet met a most grisly end. The dwarf who favoured red sought to end the threats to us, but was dragged into the waters by a cave crocodile; the thought of fishing them now chills my bones... and yet I cannot help but feel the creature would make a fine prize. I fear that the monsters here would not wait for us to gather proper resources, and so I must seek alternate routes. I will speak with Lokii, and see if leather is as carefully rationed as wood.

But first, I need to find a change of pants."

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

I'll take the mason, call her Nil.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:28:00 pm »

I'll take the butcher. Named : Raven.

Also enable surgery on him.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 05:00:06 pm »

Aha~ More interest.
That pretty awesome Samthere, that's kinda like what I imagined too.

I'm starting later than usual today, so it may not be very long... also Genoraven, Nuker already claimed the butcher.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:07:24 pm by Lokii »

Lokii

• Bay Watcher
  • Jack of no trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:39:27 pm »

Food here has is scarce. In fact, it has become a rare commodity, like coins used to be in the capital. I watched one of the seven who came with me, Nil I believe, kill a rat. The tanner saw him and fought him for it. I just hope no one broke anything, as there's not enough food in my stomach to concentrate on surgery right now.
Also, Hookline finally got the guts to ask me if leather was a commodity here. I told him that if he wanted to kill a cave crocodile he was welcome to it's skin.

Everyone seems to be rather pissed off, myself included...

And the lack of food seems to be driving quite a few people beyond the brink of sanity.

At least the dining room is nice, I would consider it legendary by most standards. There are plenty of nice engravings here and there.

The 7th of Granite
Shit.
There's a huge dust cloud coming up from the horizon, I can tell from here that they're dwarves. If they think we have the food to feed them,they are quite mistaken, insane if they still think this is some sort of messed up paradise.

They've arrived. All twenty-one of them. Some of them are "exiles" from the capital, others are just plain migrants. One of the farmers that came along asked to see the "sutibale paperwork that cerifies this as an outpost". I would have strangled him there, but I think I'll just let him die a slow, painful death from hunger like the rest of us.

The 1st of Slate
Whirlwind has gotten it in his mind it would be a good idea to cheer everybody up by throwing a party.

Unfortunately, this was about the same moment that everyone in the fortress discovered that we were out of booze. I don't care how undwarvish it sounds, but I pray that the elves have heard of the rumors and decide to trade with us. Their pitiful excuse for alcohol is better than none I suppose.

3rd of Felsite
The elves have finally arrived. Immediately the new migrants set to grabbing whatever trade-able thing they could find and hauling it to the Depot...

What the hell?
Honestly. You would think that after months without proper food or alcohol the dwarves of this fortress would be all too willing to trade the clothes of their dead friends for a drop of Sunshine. Not so much, they traded all those clothes for some wood and rope.

14th of Felsite
I honestly can't stand it anymore. No alcohol to speak of, and I'm expected to preform surgery! I can't handle it anymore, won't handle is anymore. This farmer expects me to stitch up his toe. I'm going to break his fingers.

The remaining pages in the book are stained with blood and vomit

______
So you may be wondering why so many people went insane. Simple really, I'm not using dwarf therapist. It really ups the challenge level and makes the game more fun, don't you think?
I accidentally pressed t when trading with the elves before I marked the alcohol, and now I'm out of trade goods.
And from here on out, if your named dwarf goes insane or dies, feel free to go ahead and name another. There are plenty available now, though most of them are probably miserable and starving.
Also, Genoraven, I got 2 new butchers in the immigration wave, do you want me to name one of those?

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 10:25:01 pm »

I'll delve again into Hookline's thoughts tomorrow; in the meantime I ran some arena experiments of cave crocodiles (unskilled) vs clothed dwarves on land.

Many unarmed, unskilled dwarves were slaughtered.
With a copper pick, 4/12 unskilled dwarves beat their crocodile partners.
7/8 dwarves with a copper pick and adequate in wrestling/dodging/fighting won, though 3 lost an arm each.

Interesting!

The question is, how much of a deathwish does Hookline have? :P

See you tomorrow! Enjoying this greatly :D
Pages: [1] 2