Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: why-oh-why, for the love of the dwarven gods!  (Read 1182 times)

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why-oh-why, for the love of the dwarven gods!
« on: September 06, 2006, 12:29:00 pm »

Grrrr. Each siege I go through is more frustrating than the last! A legendary mason went out to pick his bum in the cheap showiness of nature and was murdered by roving bands of goblins?! Why?!!!! Why is it that my military lingers behind contrary to their orders while idle dwarves rush forth into the arms of flea-bitten death like race horses out of the gate because it seems pertinent to grab that felled tree or dropped dagger or corpse or whatever happens to be out there, infusing them with such suicidal passion?!?! Is this some perverted game of lemmings?!! Please, Toady, do something before I defenestrate my computer!

ahhh, I think I'm temporarily insane

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why-oh-why, for the love of the dwarven gods!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 12:35:00 pm »

Yeah.

This is the biggest problem with seiges right now; the dwarves just keep rushing towards the gate to die, in spite of everything the player tries to do to stop them.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 02:13:00 pm »

1.  Lock the gate.

2.  When people start spamming pathfinding errors, remove whatever jobs are causing them.

3.  Activate any dwarves stuck out side in the military, and use that to force them back in.

You'll have problems due to switched-off jobs, of course, but you should be able to survive the siege.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Gronut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:37:00 pm »

Locking the gate is all well and good in the short run, but the goblins don't exactly storm the castle - I have to go out there to get them, and when the gates open, all bets are off. And #2's hardly feasible with 150 dwarves - there'll always be someone who wants to go outside to get that corpse or dagger or whatever, and toggling that many hauling jobs off and later on is a nontrivial effort. Just purely 'surviving' is not the point, either - I can survive simply because the goblins didn't bring enough arrows; what I'd like is to be able to manage the situation without losing hair!

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:03:00 pm »

^_^
It's a fun game of locking/unlocking gates to pull goblins in and keep dwarves itching for a smoke break in as well.

Frankly, all I ask is that the fortress guard would, you know, guard the fortress.

Garthor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »

Try building a statue garden.  I've heard that dwarves will then tend to go there rather than outside.

Also, for military: avoid using the "station" command.  Instead, give the squads patrol routes.  Station seems to make the whole squad follow the squad leader, and if the squad leader is taking a nap, then they'll all hang out in the barracks.

[ September 07, 2006: Message edited by: Garthor ]

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Garthor:
<STRONG>Station seems to make the whole squad follow the squad leader, and if the squad leader is taking a nap, then they'll all hang out in the barracks.

[ September 07, 2006: Message edited by: Garthor ]</STRONG>

Even worse, if the squad is instructed to sleep in their own room, they actually just sleep on the floor in the squad leader's room O:

But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 06:02:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zaratustra:
<STRONG>^_^
It's a fun game of locking/unlocking gates to pull goblins in and keep dwarves itching for a smoke break in as well.

Frankly, all I ask is that the fortress guard would, you know, guard the fortress.</STRONG>

I just had a rather large invasion (two large groups of Goblins on beak dogs and a group of trolls) and the fortress guard was fighting them off while my military was deciding whether it wanted to obey me or not