Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Destroy Trade Depot -> Profit!  (Read 5110 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Destroy Trade Depot -> Profit!
« on: April 27, 2010, 03:12:41 am »

Just had my trader throw a tantrum while in the trade depot, trading.  As a part of the tantrum, they destroyed the trade depot.  I didn't even know they could do this. 

At the moment it vexed me because I hadn't traded yet, but then dwarves start hauling shit off.  Shit I didn't bring to trade.  They're basically robbing the humans blind with all the stuff that's now "jes layin' 'round on the ground", as one dwarf put it.

So, assuming for some reason you have nothing to trade (ha...), just piss off your trader, and all the loot will be yours.  Has this been around, or new?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Destroy Trade Depot -> Profit!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 03:16:26 am »

Oh its well know, and common practice for some people!
Although it does annoy the traders, and sooner or later they will attack you.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 03:22:56 am »

You can trade at those things? I thought they were drowning trap bate.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 04:19:32 am »

Deconstructing the trade depot works also - you don't need a tantruming dwarf to do it for you!

But yea, it's not really much different to killing the traders in terms of how much you'll annoy their civilisation by doing this.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 05:47:21 am »

Deconstructing the trade depot works also - you don't need a tantruming dwarf to do it for you!

But yea, it's not really much different to killing the traders in terms of how much you'll annoy their civilisation by doing this.
You don't even need to deconstruct. When they've arrived and have unloaded all of the goods, forbid the building materials (or mass-forbid the depot) and it has the same effect.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 06:48:23 am »

Has this been around, or new?

i heard there's a search function on these forums. has that been around, or new?

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:51 am »

i heard there's a search function on these forums. has that been around, or new?

I heard there's such a thing as manners and hospitality seeing as many people only have a few minutes to pop in the forums and add a thought or two. 
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 10:12:41 am »

Short answer: yes, as other posts above explain. Caveat: the parent civilisation that sent that caravan will be aware nothing came back to them that year for all they sent in. Keeping good PR with foreign civilisations means they send bigger trade caravans, so it's not good to rob them (at least, in the earlygame).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:03:45 am »

Short answer: yes, as other posts above explain. Caveat: the parent civilisation that sent that caravan will be aware nothing came back to them that year for all they sent in. Keeping good PR with foreign civilisations means they send bigger trade caravans, so it's not good to rob them (at least, in the earlygame).

You can still strip the merchants and sell them their clothes back. I dunno if their clothes count toward wealth they bring to your fort.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:48:39 am »

It will be imported wealth.  If you modify the clothing (sew image, on it for example) then suddenly it's your forts created wealth and selling it adds to your exported wealth. :D

Just call it a Value Added Tax.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 12:25:49 pm »

Back in 40d, weren't there no negative effects to deconstructing the depot? I know I did it a bunch of times and never seemed to piss anyone off. Are there confirmed negative effects in DF2010?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:27:14 pm »

Back in 40d, weren't there no negative effects to deconstructing the depot? I know I did it a bunch of times and never seemed to piss anyone off. Are there confirmed negative effects in DF2010?
Wasn't that only if you deconstructed it from under the Dwarven caravan? I never tried it myself, but I thought that was the exception, since your civilisation wouldn't wage war on itself.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:22:10 pm »

I have a fortress right now in which I accidentally deconstructed a trade depot while the elves were still inside it. It's been several years and I still haven't picked up all the junk they left behind, so now I have like 6 million wooden swords, armor, and crap crafts lying around on the ground where it used to be. And then I experienced some sort of bug where another elf caravan supposedly left, but never actually went anywhere - they just milled around inside the trade depot. I had to deconstruct it to make them leave, which means now I twice as much junk to get rid of. And, of course, because of all the garbage left behind, I couldn't rebuild the trade depot in time for the next human caravan (should have built a temporary one outside, but hindsight is 20/20), so when they showed up they hung around the edge of the map until one of them went insane and the others left.

It's not all bad, though; all the items they left behind meant I was able to jump-start my grizzly bear breeding farm.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?